NEW ERA HATS

JPhebert

I don't know how many of you out there buy a lot of new era hats, but I do. And as of late, I am pissed off at this once wonderful and dominating franchise. Like many of you paying "X" of $$$'s on hats whether it's on www.lids.com, www.hatland.com, www.hatclub.com ect... this stuff gets pricey.

I buy pretty much TWO teams for hats. My #1 club, the Minnesota Twins. I don't know how a lot of other hats are especially during this new "Cool Base" but the stitching can be a total mess. I've had to return hats and go look at others to make sure I get the perfect one for my money. I have bought only TWO Detroit Tiger hats and have lucked out on those two and have not had to buy anymore. But as far as Twins go, I am on my 2nd blue "TC" hat. and 2nd red "TC" hat. 1st "M" still. And ironically, my 2nd "TC" with red bill cap. (They have came out with the one without the Target Field Logo)

But, I don't like to order them off the internet as much anymore, even though places like those sites I mentioned up top has some of the best hats ever, its so hard knowing the size, and how they will fit, but most importantly their logo stitching.

Do people have problems with other hats of other teams? Please, I'd like this to be a discussion if it has not been in the past, I apologize, if things will be getting repeated in here.

Go Twins!!

ps. Does anyone know of good websites where I could get Authentic MLB jerseys...

I've never had problems with a specific team being worse than another. My biggest problem is that I seem to change sizes depending on the individual hat. I own a couple that are 7 1/8, I own a few that are 7 1/4 and they all seem to fit the same, so ordering them online (like the Editions from The Clink Room) becomes difficult.

I bought a Tigers hat a few years back, grabbed my size from the shelf, then realized it had some threads sticking out on the brim so I grabbed another one. When I got it home I noticed that there was a clear change in the thread color about midway down the D. The orange suddenly got lighter. I obviously took it back.

You'd think New Era would pay closer attention to detail, since they are the official supplier of "authentic" MLB caps. But I guess when you're the only supplier, people can't really go elsewhere for them, so we have to suffer through.

The poor or lack of quailty control at New Era has been documented on a variety of blogs. The problems are limited to one team but across the board. The issues range from logos being too high, poor stitching, incorrect sizing, the crown and bill not being aligned properly, etc. The lack of quality control and the annual increase in price for an inferior material (polyester vs. wool) are among the reasons why New Era had to close two factories and downsize American operations.

Got my new Twins road hat last week. I am happy with it. I wear a 7 1/4 and this one fits fine. My home Twins hat is the same size, but always has been more snug than my M hat and red one.

Jerseys-go with Exclusive Pro Sports. They are customizing my Twins 1961 throwback right now. I also ordered a new Mauer road jersey from them.

Yup, I'm a 7 1/4 too. I like mine now. Where do you shop for your hats? As far as jerseys, a great site, best priced site for authentics is www.sportsk.com

I was at the proshop tho the otherday, last years white throwbacks are on sale for $145

I got the new road hat from Lids no less. First place I saw online with the new road hat without the Target Field patch. Plus I found $5 off. Just did shipping to the store. Ironically they actually had them in stock when I picked mine up (outside of Chicago).

Jerseys-that site looks rather limited. I would stick to Exclusive Pro. I got a decent deal on my new Mauer road customized.

• 4 weeks later...

New Era should be boycotted for putting their logo on the sides of baseball caps. I just want the logo of my team, not the logo of the hat company on it.

then make your own hats...

thats like saying "well I like to drink Coca-Cola, but I wish they wouldn't put the logo on the can." If you owned a company that made a product, why wouldn't you put your logo on it?

New Era should be boycotted for putting their logo on the sides of baseball caps. I just want the logo of my team, not the logo of the hat company on it.

then make your own hats...

thats like saying "well I like to drink Coca-Cola, but I wish they wouldn't put the logo on the can." If you owned a company that made a product, why wouldn't you put your logo on it?

No, it's not like saying that at all.

When you buy Coca Cola, you're buying... well, Coca Cola. That's the brand. That's the product. When you buy a Twins cap, you're showing your support for the Twins, and the purpose of the hat is to be a stage for their logo. The manufacturer logo simply competes for attention with the Twins logo, and has nothing to do with why you bought the cap. You're essentially agreeing to pay to advertise the Twins. Nobody buys the cap thinking that they want to rep the Twins and New Era. That's logo creep, and all the manufacturers do it. None are really any better or worse for it.

Do I really blame the companies? No, not really. They're basically just leaching off of the popularity of the teams that they have licenses for as an opportunity to promote their own brand. That's good business. That doesn't mean I have to like it as a fan though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm pretty sure that New Era doesn't put their logo on the authentic caps, at least. I'm looking at my Braves Alt cap & Ball-in-Glove Brewers cap right now, and they don't have the logo on the side. I think the authentics are the exception, though.

So unless you're buying fashion caps, I don't see what the big deal is.

They should be boycotted for the "Keep my giant gold sticker on so it looks stolen" and the flat brim trends.

87Redskins.png

They should be boycotted for the "Keep my giant gold sticker on so it looks stolen" and the flat brim trends.

Is that why they leave the stickers on? Every time I see this, I just want to take their hat and smack them with it. Life is passing me by.

Those things are ridiculous.

On topic, it's been my experience that the only thing consistent about New Era is their inconsistency.

BB52Big.jpg

On topic, it's been my experience that the only thing consistent about New Era is their inconsistency.

I never understood the hatred for flat brims. I rock flat brim fitted caps. I don't see anything bad about it. Perhaps, it's a result of growing up in the generation that I did. :shrug:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I never understood the hatred for flat brims. I rock flat brim fitted caps. I don't see anything bad about it. Perhaps, it's a result of growing up in the generation that I did. :shrug:

I don't have a problem with the fashion side of it at all. It's just not for me. My issue is that the only authentic MLB hats they sell at our local Lids are the flat brimmed ones. (Do all the authentic hats have the flat brim or am I mistaking a fashion hat for an authentic?)

Looking at them I just don't think it's possible to curve the brim successfully so I'm stuck buying the 3930s or the stretch fit replicas. That's why I call them ridiculous. I have to either "rock the flat brim" or wear replicas.

BB52Big.jpg

I too "rock" the flat brimmed cap, and most of my hats are like that actually. The ones I wear around.

But I've always curved the brim on my Angels hat that I wear to games or at home watching the games. I've done it perfectly fine. You just have to curve it and wear it in. And while wearing it in, if it does straighten out, then you just keep curving it. Eventually it will stay the way you want it to.

Just look at the players. Some do have flatter brims yes, but others have the full curve. It just takes a little patience if you want it to work.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived