Disney Relinquishes Control of Oregon Duck

DrJack

It appears that the longstanding agreement between Disney and the University of Oregon regarding the use of the "Donald" mascot has ended. Disney has backed off and let Oregon do what it wants with the mascot. Oregon officials have said that they will continue to maintain the same standards they've always had regarding the use of Donald, but there has already been some change. Apparently the "I Love My Ducks" video may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. See the article below:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/ducks_appearance_in_oregon_stu.html

Paul Swangard managing director of the University of Oregon's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center said: "Oversight and management of the mascot probably was more of a nuisance than a necessity for Disney. They can just worry now about the straight licensing deal and derive revenue from that."

The licensing agreement remains, covering items such as T-shirts and sweatshirts. But Disney ceded control of the mascot, and the student inside the costume, to the university.

08%20Mascot%20-%20University%20of%20Oregon.jpg

In what I can only assume is a related event, the Oregon Duck will make its first ever appearance in the NCAA football game with next year's NCAA 11. You can see what he looks like in the image below.

oregonduckmascot.jpg

Never, because Sebastian would bust several caps in Mickey and any Barrister they sent. As well as doing unspeakable things to Minnie and Daisy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He is not named Donald, his name is Puddles

Some people call him Puddles, yeah. Some call him Donald. Some call him "the Duck". As far as I know he has no "official" name, but I lot of people feel really strongly one way or another. . .

Some people call him Puddles, yeah. Some call him Donald. Some call him "the Duck". As far as I know he has no "official" name, but I lot of people feel really strongly one way or another. . .

Ive been here 8 years and have yet to hear anybody call him "puddles". Donald all the way.

How soon til Disney goes after "The U" for this blatant rip-off?

display_image.jpg

Sebastian is an ibis. Ibises are not ducks.

From Wikipedia:

The mascot of the University of Miami is an American White Ibis. The ibis was selected as the school mascot because of its legendary bravery during hurricanes. The ibis is the last sign of wildlife to take shelter before a hurricane hits and the first to reappear once the storm has passed. Miami's sports teams are nicknamed "The Hurricanes".[7]

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

How soon til Disney goes after "The U" for this blatant rip-off?

display_image.jpg

Sebastian is an ibis. Ibises are not ducks.

From Wikipedia:

The mascot of the University of Miami is an American White Ibis. The ibis was selected as the school mascot because of its legendary bravery during hurricanes. The ibis is the last sign of wildlife to take shelter before a hurricane hits and the first to reappear once the storm has passed. Miami's sports teams are nicknamed "The Hurricanes".[7]

They sure did do a piss-poor job of replicating an ibis (even in goofy mascot form)

white-ibis-1a.jpg

Ive been here 8 years and have yet to hear anybody call him "puddles". Donald all the way.

Really? All the students call him Puddles. I've heard it a lot in the last 2 years

Really? All the students call him Puddles. I've heard it a lot in the last 2 years

I am a student. I actually auditioned to be the Duck (I've worn the suit!) and was told that there is no real official name. Some like Puddles, some like Donald. Some people feel really strongly one way or the other ("It's PUDDLES!!! AHHHHHH!!!!"). I mostly refer to him as "the Duck". When I see him around campus, its "Oh, there goes the Duck". I knew a few of the cheerleaders (who practice with the mascot) and they mostly say "the Duck" as well. Puddles has a pretty strong following at the school, but not much in the outside communities. To non-UO people, the Donald Duck suit is a . . . Donald Duck suit.

I kinda wish the school would announce his official name. I think mascots should have names that everyone knows.

And yeah, Sebastien looks nothing like an ibis - but he does look a lot like a duck.

I think it would make more sense for Oregon to have, say, 48 different ducks and never use the same one twice.

This.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived