2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NEW.ERA

First of all, I don't think there is a team that is head and shoulder above the rest. Every team has huge questions from Pittsburgh's amount of games played over the past couple years to the amount of teams that have questionable goaltending. Now to Admiral's statement of how the NBA's system is better? Really? Is that why the NBA wants to go to 7 games and not 5? Many GM's and execs have stated how they hate the 5 game series and how the better teams would do better and you wouldn't see as many upsets in a 7 game series.

Why do you see more lower seeds advance into the finals in the NHL? It could be a combination of things, but as a whole there are more players and and rosters are deeper and therefor there's a deeper talent spread across hockey. Throw in the fact that a hockey goaltender can control a game and probably the only person(s) in the NBA that could control a game like a goaltender was Jordan/is Kobe. With the NBA you usually have 2-3 elite teams and then everyone else and you tend to have the same elite teams year after year. When you have smaller teams and smaller rosters, the concentration of talent is limited, whereas as I pointed out before you have to get a lot of talented players to fill out a hockey playoff team and therefor more potential to be successful. A hockey team depends on 19 players per game whereas most NBA team cut the play to 7-8, thus eliminating a lot of players. Another reason you probably see more upsets in hockey than in the NBA has to do with each arena. Depth perception and shooting are different in each arena. Whereas a ice rink has the usual solid white boards behind the net rendering all arenas virtually the same.

Now am I saying that the NBA playoffs suck? Nope. Though I think basketball as a whole sucks with the horrible play and the 54 minutes it takes to play 30 seconds because everyone on the team seems to have a freaking time out that they haven't used. That also may be a good reason higher seeds in the NBA advance more than the NHL, time outs to rest players and set up plays and kill opponent's momentum, whereas hockey is so much more of a flow game.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to Admiral's statement of how the NBA's system is better? Really? Is that why the NBA wants to go to 7 games and not 5?

The NBA does have all seven-game series, actually, and sometimes I think it would be nice if they went back to best of five for the first round. It shouldn't require more than three games to put the Bulls out of their misery, for example.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nice upset from the Habs last night.

That might be a bit of an understatement, especially when holding Ovechkin to zero shots. Hopefully the Game 1 loss has lit a fire under the Caps' asses to perform remarkably better instead of looking sloppy on the ice.

Well it's not like it was going to be a sweep anyway :P

I'm not too worried about the series, the Sens had great chances and just couldn't get lady luck going their way tonight. Elliot played great, and I think he outplayed Fleury too.

Cannot wait to be at the rink for game 3.

Also the Penguins and their fans have to be the most sensitive bunch in the league, so many scuffles for nothing, it was ridiculous.

Hi, how are you?

Detroit just went up 4-3 on a breakaway by some guy who's name is something like ABCDEFGHJKR.

The Wings travel better than I thought they did. Sounds like the fans are divided 70/30 at 'The Job' tonight.

6uXNWAo.png

Eh.....a lucky goal, a weird rebound situation, and then open net fiesta for the preds. I'm not too worried, but it is certainly annoying to be in a 1-0 hole

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Detroit just went up 4-3 on a breakaway by some guy who's name is something like ABCDEFGHJKR.

The Wings travel better than I thought they did. Sounds like the fans are divided 70/30 at 'The Job' tonight.

Abdelkader, from Dearborn, MI

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Did Facebook seriously buy ad space on the dasher boards in Phoenix?

Wings score on power play to take 6-4 lead.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived