(1) Washington > (8) Montreal - Five

(2) New Jersey > (7) Philadelphia - Seven

(3) Buffalo < (6) Boston - Six

(4) Pittsburgh > (5) Ottawa - Six

Semifinals

(1) Washington > (6) Boston - Five

(2) New Jersey < (4) Pittsburgh - Seven

Finals

(1) Washington < (4) Pittsburgh - Seven...(You really think I'd pick the pens to lose to these guys?)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Quarterfinals

(1) San Jose > (8) Colorado - Five

(2) Chicago > (7) Nashville - Five

(3) Vancouver > (6) Los Angeles - Four

(4) Phoenix < (5) Detroit - Five

Semifinals

(1) San Jose < (5) Detroit - Six

(2) Chicago > (3) Vancouver - Seven

Finals

(2) Chicago > (5) Detroit - Seven

STANLEY CUP FINALS

(2) Chicago < (4) Pittsburgh - Six

I'd like to share your optimism for the Pens, but I cant. Unless this team can flip the switch, and keep it on for two months, Im not sure they can get out of the second round, unless Philly upsets Jersey, then they have a shot. Also, and I have never held this view, until recently, but I fear the Pens playing Washington in the playoffs, I have never been afraid of playing them before, but the Pens inability to consistently beat any decent competition this year really scares me.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Round 1 Stanley Cup Playoff picks....

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals

#1 Washington Capitals vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens - 5 games

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Ottawa Senators - 4 games

#3 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Boston Bruins - 7 games

#2 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Philadelphia Flyers - 6 games

Western Conference Quarterfinals

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Colorado Avalanche - 7 games

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #5 Detroit Red Wings - 5 games

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 Los Angeles Kings - 6 games

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #7 Nashville Predators - 5 games

2010 Draft Lottery Winner: Edmonton Oilers

6uXNWAo.png

Predators--->2iuj43.gif<---Blackhawks

I really feel bad for Nashville and Montreal(well not so much Montreal) getting those 2 draws in the first round

I easily could see Nashville pushing Chicago to 7 games...

-Nashville plays a very disciplined style of hockey, they capitalize on the other teams turnovers, and they have a very, very good goaltender in Rinne. The issues I have with the Preds is obviously their ability to put the puck in the net. They also have been playing very well since the Olympic break.

And for all the offensive firepower the Hawks have, they are still a relatively young team and they do have major question marks in goal. They also have a lot of pressure on them to do well and make it to the Finals. If Nashville can find a way to take Game 1 at the United Center, I could see the Chicago youngsters start gripping the stick a little tighter in Game 2...

Now how much of that I actually believe, I don't know, but I do feel like it is the best chance for a 1/8 or 2/7 upset in these playoffs. Will it happen... eh, we'll see.

The Hawks were young last year and beat two "experienced" teams in 6 each. Hossa isn't young, Madden isn't young, Sharp isn't young, Toews doesn't play like he's young. Their questionable goaltending is statistically better than Nashville's: Niemi has a better sv% and GAA than Rinne, and Chicago has allowed 16 fewer goals on the year. Not sure how much stock you put into home/road splits, but the Hawks have 62 points at home to Nashville's 51, and negligibly edge the Predators by one point on the road. For all the talk about Nashville's "disciplined" (read: boring-ass grinding) hockey, it's hardly as if Quenneville sits back and lets the Hawks spaz out: they're one of the best puck-possession teams in the league and accordingly allow very few shots on goal. Hawks won the season series 4-2, which isn't as dominant as the ownage of the Calgary Flames, but reassuring nevertheless.

The only place I give the Predators the edge is on their blue line, now that Chicago's depth has been seriously tested with the injuries to Campbell/Johnsson/Boynton (silver lining being that we can use Byfuglien on D and clear up a forward logjam). I know it's the Stanley Cup, which is especially topsy-turvy in Olympic years when the best players are gassed and give way to the Carolina Hurricanes of the world, but it's hard to see the Predators getting the upset here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Hawks were young last year and beat two "experienced" teams in 6 each. Hossa isn't young, Madden isn't young, Sharp isn't young, Toews doesn't play like he's young. Their questionable goaltending is statistically better than Nashville's: Niemi has a better sv% and GAA than Rinne, and Chicago has allowed 16 fewer goals on the year. Not sure how much stock you put into home/road splits, but the Hawks have 62 points at home to Nashville's 51, and negligibly edge the Predators by one point on the road. For all the talk about Nashville's "disciplined" (read: boring-ass grinding) hockey, it's hardly as if Quenneville sits back and lets the Hawks spaz out: they're one of the best puck-possession teams in the league and accordingly allow very few shots on goal. Hawks won the season series 4-2, which isn't as dominant as the ownage of the Calgary Flames, but reassuring nevertheless.

The only place I give the Predators the edge is on their blue line, now that Chicago's depth has been seriously tested with the injuries to Campbell/Johnsson/Boynton (silver lining being that we can use Byfuglien on D and clear up a forward logjam). I know it's the Stanley Cup, which is especially topsy-turvy in Olympic years when the best players are gassed and give way to the Carolina Hurricanes of the world, but it's hard to see the Predators getting the upset here.

Rinne has been heads and shoulders above Huet, though I haven't seen enough of Niemi to make an accurate judgement on him. I feel that some of Niemi's numbers are a little boosted due to him only starting 35 games... if he plays 70-75 games I think we see his save % and GAA take a hit. You also have to factor that the Hawks have a much more talented team playing in front of Huet/Niemi, which aided to their numbers...

Last year, the Blackhawks didn't have the same expectations that they do this year. They were the team that was "a year away from competing"; being expected to repeat what they did last year and going beyond is going to be different. And the two "experienced" teams you beat last year were the Calgary Flames (who they were favored to beat) and the Vancouver Canucks (legendary playoff chokers + Luongo's playoff nightmares). They have added some veterans, but the heart and soul of that team is Taeves and Kane. As they go, so do the Hawks, though I think the Olympics will help them handle the playoffs much better.

While Niemi has played well (including 7 shutouts in only 35 starts, which was surprising), do you honestly feel comfortable with Niemi and Huet as their only options? Add in front of them the hurt/young blueline and I could potentially see issues there...

Also, Joel Quenville has an amazing playoff track record, so there's no reason to question his handle on the team... oh, right. :unsure:

The Blackhawks had high expectations last year, more people favored the Flames than you think, and the Canucks team they beat wasn't expected to roll over and die either. You're retroactively diminishing both of those series wins. Niemi has played rather well down the stretch and Huet isn't expected to play at all, so to hell with him. I wouldn't say Rinne's been "heads and shoulders above" Niemi at all, and giving me the ol' rolleyes for Quenneville's playoff record is pretty dumb when his counterpart hasn't won a series in his life. Look, if you want to say you're doubting the Blackhawks because you're a Red Wings fan, freakin' just abandon all pretense and say it already. I'm not a complete idiot. I can see through your elaborate ruse.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Prediction Time!

First Round - East

Washington over Montreal

New Jersey over Philadelphia

Boston over Buffalo

Pittsburgh over Ottawa

First Round - West

San Jose over Colorado

Nashville over Chicago

Vancouver over Los Angeles

Detroit over Phoenix

Semifinals - East

Washington over Boston

New Jersey over Pittsburgh

Semifinals - West

Nashville over San Jose

Detroit over Vancouver

Finals - East

Washington over New Jersey

Finals - West

Detroit over Nashville

Stanley Cup Finals

Detroit over Washington

Italy.png

The Blackhawks had high expectations last year, more people favored the Flames than you think, and the Canucks team they beat wasn't expected to roll over and die either. You're retroactively diminishing both of those series wins. Niemi has played rather well down the stretch and Huet isn't expected to play at all, so to hell with him. I wouldn't say Rinne's been "heads and shoulders above" Niemi at all, and giving me the ol' rolleyes for Quenneville's playoff record is pretty dumb when his counterpart hasn't won a series in his life. Look, if you want to say you're doubting the Blackhawks because you're a Red Wings fan, freakin' just abandon all pretense and say it already. I'm not a complete idiot. I can see through your elaborate ruse.

1) So if a lot of people favored the Flames and Canucks in both those series, how then did the Blackhawks have high expectations? Did I not also say that they were coming from an underdog poistion? 99 out of 100 times underdogs have relatively low expectations.

2) Where did I say Rinne has been "head and shoulders" above Niemi? Go back and read what I said:

Rinne has been heads and shoulders above Huet, though I haven't seen enough of Niemi to make an accurate judgement on him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

3) I have had personal disdain for Joel Quenneville since his St. Louis days... I take joy in his 6-20 postseason record against my Wings.

4) Because I go to school in South Bend, my dorm gets CSN and VS., so I've feel confident in saying that I've watched almost as many Blackhawk games this season (though most of them were pre-Huet meltdown) as Red Wings games. So don't pull any of that "Oh, you're a Red Wings fan, you don't know what you are talking about!!!" I'm an avid hockey fan... I know both the Hawks and the Preds strengths and weaknesses, and IMO, the Predators match up better with the Blackhawks than the Kings or Avs do.

5) It's not like I'm picking Nashville to win the series, I'm just saying I could see them pushing the Blackhawks farther than they think they will. I don't think that I'm disrespecting Chicago...

I'd like to share your optimism for the Pens, but I cant. Unless this team can flip the switch, and keep it on for two months, Im not sure they can get out of the second round, unless Philly upsets Jersey, then they have a shot. Also, and I have never held this view, until recently, but I fear the Pens playing Washington in the playoffs, I have never been afraid of playing them before, but the Pens inability to consistently beat any decent competition this year really scares me.

This is why I predict the pens to win the first round in six. What im hoping for is, they win game one, but barely. However, their mistakes get the best of them in games two and three and they fall 1-2 in the series. They realize just what's at stake here and flip the switch and take the next three.

That's my hope, at least. Ironically, losing could help them.

oBIgzrL.png

1) So if a lot of people favored the Flames and Canucks in both those series, how then did the Blackhawks have high expectations? Did I not also say that they were coming from an underdog poistion? 99 out of 100 times underdogs have relatively low expectations.

2) Where did I say Rinne has been "head and shoulders" above Niemi? Go back and read what I said:

Rinne has been heads and shoulders above Huet, though I haven't seen enough of Niemi to make an accurate judgement on him.

Don't put words in my mouth.

3) I have had personal disdain for Joel Quenneville since his St. Louis days... I take joy in his 6-20 postseason record against my Wings.

4) Because I go to school in South Bend, my dorm gets CSN and VS., so I've feel confident in saying that I've watched almost as many Blackhawk games this season (though most of them were pre-Huet meltdown) as Red Wings games. So don't pull any of that "Oh, you're a Red Wings fan, you don't know what you are talking about!!!" I'm an avid hockey fan... I know both the Hawks and the Preds strengths and weaknesses, and IMO, the Predators match up better with the Blackhawks than the Kings or Avs do.

5) It's not like I'm picking Nashville to win the series, I'm just saying I could see them pushing the Blackhawks farther than they think they will. I don't think that I'm disrespecting Chicago...

To be fair... Joel Quenneville has been the Wings bitch since 1997.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

1st Round Predictions

East

#1 Washington Capitals vs #8 Montreal Canadiens - Capitals in 4

#2 New Jersey Devils vs #7 Philadelphia Flyers - Devils in 6

#3 Buffalo Sabres vs #6 Boston Bruins - Sabres in 5

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs #5 Ottawa Senators - Penguins in 5

West

#1 San Jose Sharks vs #8 Colorado Avalanche - Sharks in 5

#2 Chicago Blackhawks vs #7 Nashville Predators - Blackhawks in 6

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs #6 Los Angeles Kings - Canucks in 6

#4 Phoenix Coyotes vs #5 Detroit Red Wings - Red Wings in 5

It really seems like both #7 teams have the potential of the first round upset.

We have 7 goalies (if I am correct) making their playoff debuts this post season that sould be interesting. Also, Nabakov and Luongo are the two most experienced Western Conference goalies this playoffs and they both have something to prove, could be interesting. Will Jimmy Howard go Cam Ward or Steve Mason in his first playoffs? Will the Blackhawks regret doing nothing in goal at the deadline? This will be a very interesting 1st round in the West.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I've already made something of a prediction here </shameless self plug>

But in all seriousness, my first round predictions are...

East

#1 Caps VS #8 Habs - Caps in 4

#2 Devils VS #7 Flyers - Flyers in 5

#3 Sabres VS #6 Bruins - Bruins in 5

#4 Pens VS #5 Sens - Sens in 6

West

#1 Sharks VS #8 Avs - Sharks in 7

#2 Hawks VS #7 Preds - Hawks in 5

#3 Canucks VS #6 Kings - Canucks in 6

#4 Coyotes VS #5 Wings - Wings in 6

(If the NHL has its way, this series will go all the way to 7 and the Coyotes may or may not win)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1st Round East

1)Washington def. 8)Montreal (in 4)

2)New Jersey def. 7)Philadelphia (in 5)

6)Boston def. 3)Buffalo (in 6)

4)Pittsburgh def. 5)Ottawa (in 5)

1st Round West

1)San Jose def. 8)Colorado (in 6)

2)Chicago def. 7)Nashville (in 5)

3)Vancover def 6)Los Angeles (in 6)

5)Detroit def. 4)Phoenix (in 5)

2nd Round East

1)Washington def. 6)Boston (in 6)

4)Pittsbugh def. 2)New Jersey (in 7)

2nd Round West

1)San Jose def. 5)Detroit (in 7)

2)Chicago def. 3)Vancouver (in 5)

Eastern Conference Final

1)Washington def. 3)Pittsburgh (in 6)

Western Conference Final

2)Chicago def. 1)San Jose (in 6)

Stanley Cup Final

1)Washington Capitals def 2)Chicago Blackhawks (in 6)

Western Conference

#8 Colorado Avalanche

#4 Phoenix Coyotes

#3 Vancouver Canucks

#2 Chicago Blackhawks

Phew! Just making sure I'm not the only one who sees San Jose's annual postseason nosedive coming a mile away.

6uXNWAo.png

Also... who's gonna try to grow a playoff beard? I'm really thinking about giving it a go this year...

Not this year. I don't have a team in the horserace. Last year I started to grow one the day the Blue Jackets clinched because I had a feeling that they wouldn't be around for very long. I think I had about two weeks of growth, which isn't abnormal for me to go that long without shaving.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also... who's gonna try to grow a playoff beard? I'm really thinking about giving it a go this year...

My last shave was yesterday afternoon, before my wife and I went out for dinner. And if I'm going to do something as ridiculous as a playoff beard, I might as well do it for a good cause. I understand Blackhawks Charities stopped benefiting the "Bob Pulford New Liver Fund" back in 2007, so it all seems above board.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived