The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

jersey2.jpg

Found that concept of Conrad's I referred to a page or two back:

I had seen the "unused" Clippers logo posted here a while ago, that featured the wave and spikes above it, so i decided to combine it with the Clips current, flawless wordmark as well as pull from the old San Diego and Buffalo teams for some color ideas that were unique to the current nba, with the red-blue trend going everywhere. So this is what i came up with:

LacLogoSheet.png

and some jersey ideas pulling from the hawks new "modern" look, yet keeping the neck triangle, wordmarks, and numbers from the current Clippers jersey set. My only issue with these is the logo on the back, i think it needs to be on the shorts somewhere, but i can't figure it out...

LAC08h-template.png

LAC08a-template.png

LAC08s-template.png

Any C&C would be appreciated...i'd like to perfect this as much as possible. Thanks for takin' a look.

Save for the colors, I'd say similarities definitely exist.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these jerseys if you just look at it from the side, but the front looks like a mess. I think there's too much blue, the wordmark should be blue. Then the LAC logo under the neckline looks too cluttered. Then the number font doesn't match the wordmark or LAC logos at all.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm an LA guy, and have always had a soft spot for the Clippers (though I am a Laker fan), so I really want to like these. I love the overall template and trim--yeah, it's pretty standard stuff for modern NBA uniforms, but it still looks clean and sharp. I also love the new emphasis on blue in the wordmark. It's frustrating because they are SO close, but there's a couple things that just ruin them for me:

- The LAC logo under the front collar is unnecessary.

- The wordmark doesn't need double outlining--blue words with a solid red outline would be just fine. The white space worked better with a red wordmark with blue outline, and also because the blue outlined the entire wordmark, not each individual stroke (example). This way looks unnecessarily busy.

- I'm OK with the numbers being reverse-color, as it gives these a bit of a Dodgers look. But why have solid-outlined numbers and a double-outlined wordmark? Both should have been solid-outline, but at least pick one and stay consistent.

- Also on the numbers, the new font just doesn't mesh with the wordmark the way the old one did. Not saying you need a cursive number font or anything, but the modern numbers don't work with the classic wordmark. Maybe this would look better if the outlines on the numbers and wordmark matched.

The spacing on the number and collar logo also seem off, but I'll hold off judgment until I see them in action. But the mismatched design elements really detract from what is otherwise a huge upgrade. Too bad.

What's better...this?

jersey2.jpg

Or one of these?

clips_new_2.jpgclips_new_1.jpg

I think the first one is better and it is a huge upgrade IMO.

So's sucking, and nobody thinks that's a good thing.

You mean a tradition of sucking like the Rams, pre-1999 and post-2004? :P

It's only been a tradition since Georgia Frontiere had her husband murdered err usurped the franchise err inherited the franchise.

/OT

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like the new Clippers uniforms... but, they just remind me too much of the Atlanta Hawks.

I am really surprised the Cavs have yet to "officially" release any of the new, NEW stuff, besides the revised colors of the old logos. The font on the Draft Hats have yet to be officially released, the court WAS released, then pulled back, outside of a couple people who work with uniform company, no one has seen the uniforms. I just don't understand why they are delaying it so long.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think this is an upgrade over their most recent set. However, I think the piping at the bottom of the shorts & near the armholes is too abstract & random. I also would've liked to see a blue uni for their primary road & perhaps a red alternate in a few years.

ujsignature.png

Slight upgrade, but there's really no rhyme or reason for the side striping pattern - it's just like they said "just give us something modern and cool". That's basically what the Sixers did in the last year or two of the black/gold era, and it's pretty close to the same pattern. It'll just look tired in a couple of years, and get changed again.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I do like that they're wearing red roads rather than blue, since that other team is wearing "Forum blue." So why they changed the main script from red to blue, well, I don't know. Oh Clippers.

Oh, and I don't like side panels that are largely the same color as the base color. One of the many flaws of the prior Utah Jazz set. White with white panels. Brilliant upgrade.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do like that they're wearing red roads rather than blue, since that other team is wearing "Forum blue." So why they changed the main script from red to blue, well, I don't know. Oh Clippers.

Oh, and I don't like side panels that are largely the same color as the base color. One of the many flaws of the prior Utah Jazz set. White with white panels. Brilliant upgrade.

Well, what the color-blind Lakers call "blue" is in reality purple, and the Clippers actually use the real color blue, so the script being blue isn't an issue.

The Lakers haven't officially called their Purple "Forum Blue" since 1981.

The whole "Forum blue" thing was kinda weird. Were they that reluctant to call it purple? It's purple. Bluish-purple, yeah, but.

I guess my point is that the Clippers have worn red since they got to Los Angeles and should keep playing up the red ahead of the blue. It would've been interesting if they went with the circa-'94 black/silver/teal/orange scheme that's popped up here now and then. Wonder how long it would've taken to ditch that. I say three years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The whole "Forum blue" thing was kinda weird. Were they that reluctant to call it purple? It's purple. Bluish-purple, yeah, but.

I guess my point is that the Clippers have worn red since they got to Los Angeles and should keep playing up the red ahead of the blue. It would've been interesting if they went with the circa-'94 black/silver/teal/orange scheme that's popped up here now and then. Wonder how long it would've taken to ditch that. I say three years.

It's the Clippers, they'd still have it now.

It might have some staying power if there's any real nostalgia for the San Diego Clippers, though. It's unique and has precedent, seems like a better idea than being the 30th red/white/blue team...they still feel like a generic team in generic colors to me.

Well, what the color-blind Lakers call "blue" is in reality purple, and the Clippers actually use the real color blue, so the script being blue isn't an issue.

The Lakers haven't officially called their Purple "Forum Blue" since 1981.

Which is weird, because to my eyes, the purple has appeared to become far more blue, as the years pass.

It might have some staying power if there's any real nostalgia for the San Diego Clippers, though. It's unique and has precedent, seems like a better idea than being the 30th red/white/blue team...they still feel like a generic team in generic colors to me.

You more or less just summarized the franchise's entire Los Angeles existence.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm glad they fixed the outlining (the outside-only outline made the script look like a cheap patch... even though it still is. The "C" especially looked bad.)

The number font is horrible. Simply horrible. You (almost) NEVER want two "fancy" items competing for attention in the same space. A basic block number (or other "standard" font) would enhance the custom script. Now it's like your focus is drawn to both, which means that it really isn't on either.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

new perforated mesh/fabric so this is the same fabric we will se with the new Jazz unis and hopefully the tweaked Twolves unis as well

jersey1.jpg

I believe all the uniforms will be going to this new mesh. And JP: The 'orange' outline could just the thread that's stitching the numerals down. It might appear lighter than the fabric because it's shinier.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived