I love the SF Giants uniforms...

mmejia

I've always enjoyed the Giants look. I love the home creams with black/orange lettering and trim. I was even a big fan of the black numbers on the black tops look during the Bonds era. I also love the older "Giants" script that makes an appearance from time to time. Black and orange can look like Halloween very easily if not done right, and I've always thought the Giants have done it right.

Except for the orange tops. They wore them last night against Houston and I'm just not a fan. At all. Not even a little bit. Am I in the minority, here?

99560528.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5558902D42EE6997800D2CC631383708FE8261538E635065C

99560445.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F551F0D76AB915F3C000D2CC631383708F7063B065A2068718

99560328.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5189E285F075B583100D2CC631383708F0FAF458DAE5CBF7E

I like them a lot, as long as they stay a once-a-week occurrence. The Giants have history with an orange top in the late '70s/early '80s. I wish they would pair the new orange-billed cap with those orange jerseys.

I think the Giants also have a history of sucking in a dump in the late '70s/early '80s. It's too progressive. A team that's been around for over a century ought to look the part.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't have a problem with them, except I thought for a second that I was watching the Orioles when MLB network switched to the game. I'd like to see what the orange brimmed cap would look like with the jerseys. I know, even more like the Orioles! :P

I like them a lot, as long as they stay a once-a-week occurrence. The Giants have history with an orange top in the late '70s/early '80s. I wish they would pair the new orange-billed cap with those orange jerseys.

Same here. They're really cool as long as The Giants don't get carried away and start wearing them 5 times a week. Let's hope they don't go undefeated in those things for 4 or 5 games. A black alt was such an obvious choice for The Giants so it's kind of nice to see them take the road less traveled and go with the orange.

The orange billed caps do look good with the alt. I've seen it...sort of. Oddly enough, in MLB 10 The Show when The Giants wear the orange tops the game has them wearing orange billed caps.

BB52Big.jpg

I actually like them a lot! If I would change one thing, I would use the Giants' cursive wordmark like what they used in the 1970s and 1980s, keeping the same trim scheme (outlined in cream and drop-shadowed in gold). I would also come out with a black alternate to be worn on the road with the "SF" logo on the left chest and name/number on back. I'll illustrate the concept a little later.

• 2 years later...

I was just watching the Reds-Giants NLDS game and the Giants are wearing the orange-billed caps with the cream home uniforms. I like the caps by themselves, but they don't look right with that traditional uniform. They look like they were borrowed from these:

nl_1978_sanfrancisco.gif

I'm pretty sure that is where they came from, but they are worn on Sundays only (home and road)

I was just watching the Reds-Giants NLDS game and the Giants are wearing the orange-billed caps with the cream home uniforms. I like the caps by themselves, but they don't look right with that traditional uniform. They look like they were borrowed from these:

nl_1978_sanfrancisco.gif

I'm pretty sure that is where they came from, but they are worn on Sundays only (home and road)

Oh, I know they're Sunday specials. I'd seen them with the alts but hadn't seen them worn with the cream uniforms. Beautiful cap, but not a match to that uniform.

They also wear it with the orange alternate sometimes.

I don't think I've ever seen that. When was this?

I can guarantee you that they wore the orange bill with the orange alts a couple of times. It's not frequent but I swear I've seen it and even remembering Zito wearing it. It may have been around the time the jersey was first introduced, to test the waters. I swear I saw it earlier this season though.

bSLCtu2.png

They also wear it with the orange alternate sometimes.

I don't think I've ever seen that. When was this?

I can guarantee you that they wore the orange bill with the orange alts a couple of times. It's not frequent but I swear I've seen it and even remembering Zito wearing it. It may have been around the time the jersey was first introduced, to test the waters. I swear I saw it earlier this season though.

I know they wore that combo when they modeled it in the spring of 2010, but since then, the Giants have worn their orange tops only on Fridays and their orange billed caps only on Sunday. They wore their orange tops once outside of Sunday and that was on a Monday against the Orioles the other season.

Go A's!

What teams make orange and black look like Halloween?

I can only think of the Orioles and the Flyers, but they look great in orange and black.

Oh, and there are the Bengals but they look like tigers, not Halloween.

What teams make orange and black look like Halloween?

I can only think of the Orioles and the Flyers, but they look great in orange and black.

Oh, and there are the Bengals but they look like tigers, not Halloween.

This Bengals set looks Halloweeny to me. I wish they'd QUIT wearing it. (Sorry, lame attempt at a joke, there. It's a picture of Carson Palmer and I said I wish they'd QUIT. B)

p1_palmer5.jpg

I always liked that script Giants on the front of the uniforms, but I know it goes against tradition.

But then again, so do these uniforms, the way GIANTS is spread out in a fan shape. The traditional look, the one Willie Mays wore, is the arch look.

I always liked that script Giants on the front of the uniforms, but I know it goes against tradition.

But then again, so do these uniforms, the way GIANTS is spread out in a fan shape. The traditional look, the one Willie Mays wore, is the arch look.

Radial arc instead of an arch does not go against tradition like a completely different scripted wordmark.

Archived