The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

The MTA has introduced a new New York City Subway Map:

http://www.nytimes.c...subway-map.html

NEW:

full-2010.png

PREVIOUS REDESIGN (1998):

full-1998.png

The new subway map makes Manhattan even bigger, reduces Staten Island and continues to buck the trend of the angular maps once used here and still preferred in many other major cities. Detailed information on bus connections that was added in 1998 has been considerably shortened.

I think this is a well-done upgrade. The reduction of the cluttering information and the changes to the colors of the geographic features really clean up the map significantly.

As a Brooklynite, I'm also thrilled that the days of the V and W trains have finally come to a close.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spy Mornington Crescent!

I understand the appeal of a simple, stylized map such as the Underground you just posted or the '72 NYC map - but from a geographical perspective, I definitely think it needs to be more realistic. Street grids, physical features, etc.

Subway/mass transit fascinates me. Maybe it's my suburban Southern upbringing (meaning: drive everywhere) but I couldn't get enough of the subways in Philadelphia and NYC when I was there. Makes me wish they'd hurry up and get Charlotte's LYNX expanded past one line.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Simplifies it a bit. When are these being put up, by the way? I was in a few locations yesterday, but they still had the now-old maps.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I spy Mornington Crescent!

I understand the appeal of a simple, stylized map such as the Underground you just posted or the '72 NYC map - but from a geographical perspective, I definitely think it needs to be more realistic. Street grids, physical features, etc.

Subway/mass transit fascinates me. Maybe it's my suburban Southern upbringing (meaning: drive everywhere) but I couldn't get enough of the subways in Philadelphia and NYC when I was there. Makes me wish they'd hurry up and get Charlotte's LYNX expanded past one line.

Driving sucks. One thing I don't get though is how they stress "don't drink and drive", yet the bars are open until 2:00 (PA), but the busses stop around 1:30, and the Regional Rail stops before midnight except for Saturday (and before 2 even then.) That's not an excuse to drink and drive, but they should do what they can to prevent idiots who think that it is an excuse from doing it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a long time resident of Los Angeles, and someone who commutes daily via public transportation, I'm so envious of places like New York City, Philadelphia, London...hell, even Atlanta and D.C.--places that have had subways/light rail transportation longer than L.A. I know the perception here is that everyone likes to drive, but for many for take the bus or train going to and from work, school, sporting events, etc., our system is very inadequate compared to other cities.

There have been plans to expand the the light rail/subway system here in Los Angeles County, with a new light rail line (the Expo Line) set to open either later this year or early next year (more likely the latter). Mayor and publicity opportunitist Antonio Villariagosa, who sits on the L.A. MTA's board of directors, has a plan to quicken the construction of these rail and highway projects sooner than originally projected. The original plan is build these projects over the course of thirty years; he wants it done in ten. His big pet project is the "Subway to the Sea", which to expand the Purple Line subway from its current terminus in the Koreatown district (west of Downtown) to the Santa Monica Pier...almost 15 miles.

Anywho, here's our rail system map (yeah, go ahead and snicker)...

map_s05.gif

Note that the Orange and Silver Line are actually express bus lines which actually "operates" as a rail line.

The real issue with LA's transit system is that with a metropolitan area with such a huge area, having a few lines here and there bisecting it doesn't come anywhere close to making a dent whatsoever. Plus, you have the issue of several of the lines cutting through the worst areas of the county, which isn't exactly a drawing factor (the Blue Line and Green Line both go straight through South Central/Watts).

And of course, you have the geniuses who decided that the Green Line would be used by all the aerospace workers in El Segundo more than airport passengers. How'd that work out, MTA?

Oh, and our bus system is a complete joke. I can't go a day without being cut off by a bus or almost run off the road by a bus. Hell, I personally witnessed a passenger run over and killed by a bus.

VmWIn6B.png

oldest subway system in the country

logan-airport-subway-map.jpg

IMO, also the easiest. Maybe I'm just used to it, though.

what the hell is ccslc?

Since we're all posting random metro maps, here are the two I go on most often:

Baltimore Light Rail:

baltimore_light_rail_map_%28tram%29.png

DC (from Southern Maryland to Alexandria, VA):

metromap.gif

Proposal for Harrisburg, PA to Richmond, VA (WOW):

192900288_bc06fcd7d9_o.png

87Redskins.png

oldest subway system in the country

logan-airport-subway-map.jpg

IMO, also the easiest. Maybe I'm just used to it, though.

I agree with your sentiments, but I also could biased because I have been using it for many years.

Houston's current light rail map

lightrailmap.gif

At 7.5 miles, it's slightly longer than the track for the train in Minute Maid park. More is coming but there is big resistance and not just from the big pickup trucks that keep running into the trains.

Awww...the houston and baltimore ones are so cute. :P how about an elevated train? Heres Chicago's:

map2.gif

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

new york, you still got nothing.

specialreports_2edb.London%20Tube%20Map.gif

the ny '72 version, was far superior.

Visually, yes, but the lack of a street grid threw some people in their quest for functionality. The KickMap (Google it) is a great compromise.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I was in Boston a few weeks ago, had never seen the subway map until 10 minutes before I left my hotel to go to Fenway, and had no problem walking to a green line stop and getting to Kenmore. Maybe I'm just used to reading mass transit maps though.

I did find it odd that the line splits so many times, and that there are just a continuous stream of cars coming, each with different letters. I'm so used to one really long-ass train that comes every 5 or 10 mins or so, and just goes to one place (of course, there are only two subways that I really need to take - the Broad Street Line (to get to the Sports complex, Avenue of the Arts / Rittenhouse, etc.) and the Market Frankford Line to get to Old City and Fishtown.

Other big difference between Boston and Philadelphia is that the Boston trains are practically surface level, so you can just walk right out on to the track if you were really dumb, while in Phila, the tracks are several feet below where you stand, so if you fell, you're pretty much f'd.

Since everyone's doing it, here's Philadelphia's map, showing the Regional Rail, subway, trolley (yes, there still are some), but not the buses.

700.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was in Boston a few weeks ago, had never seen the subway map until 10 minutes before I left my hotel to go to Fenway, and had no problem walking to a green line stop and getting to Kenmore. Maybe I'm just used to reading mass transit maps though.

Wait. Did you take the train from the Kenmore Station to the Fenway Station or am I reading that incorrectly?

what the hell is ccslc?

Wait. Did you take the train from the Kenmore Station to the Fenway Station or am I reading that incorrectly?

I think you're reading it incorrectly. (Plus, I could walk from the Fenway stop to Kenmore quicker than the T can get there. lol)

I had to get off at Kenmore station to get to Fenway Park, not Fenway station. Not sure why anyone would take a train to Fenway Station from Kenmore.

I had to get off at Kenmore station to get to Fenway Park, not Fenway station. Not sure why anyone would take a train to Fenway Station from Kenmore.

Oh, the way it sounded was like your hotel was near Kenmore, and took that train to Fenway. Kenmore's considerably closer than Fenway, which is weird. Hope you liked that area around Kenmore, though (Comm. Ave.) Pretty nice place with some great restaurants.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived