The Transit Map Thread

Waffles

Milwaukee

Milwaukee%20Metro%20Map.png

Loving everything about this honestly. To think what a great city this could be if (a.) the suburbanites could get the fugg over their knee-jerk prejudices of the poor/minorities, and (b.) Milwaukee's own baby boomer establishment could accept that this is the 21st century and stop trying to drag the younger generations kicking and screaming back to 1957.

Agreed on all points.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of suburban Milwaukee, can I say that eastern Waukesha County, like Muskego and New Berlin, is really really weird? The city limits are just big squares, and nothing seems to be laid out with any rhyme or reason to it. It's just big curving roads, and sometimes there's a bank, and sometimes there are houses, but nothing is even close to centralized. I had to get to their high school once in the days before GPS and I was like Spinal Tap backstage. Just took every possible wrong turn. Must be a Republican paradise. Planning is for commies. I can see how people who live there wouldn't want mass transit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On the topic of suburban Milwaukee, can I say that eastern Waukesha County, like Muskego and New Berlin, is really really weird? The city limits are just big squares, and nothing seems to be laid out with any rhyme or reason to it. It's just big curving roads, and sometimes there's a bank, and sometimes there are houses, but nothing is even close to centralized. I had to get to their high school once in the days before GPS and I was like Spinal Tap backstage. Just took every possible wrong turn. Must be a Republican paradise. Planning is for commies. I can see how people who live there wouldn't want mass transit.

The so-called WOW (Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington) Counties are just miles upon miles of sprawling suburban hell because zoning laws are Anti-Business™.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CTrainMap_zpse189645e.jpg

A really great system that covers the Westside, North, Eastside and South of the city of Calgary. Could be one of the most efficient and well-planned out in the country. I live close to Westbrook station, and from Westbrook to Sunalta its entirely underground and very reminiscent of San Francisco's BART tunnels. Pretty cool.

That map doesn't nearly enough do the talk of how widespread Calgary is either. Somerset-Bridelwood is a good 35 minute drive from downtown.

C-Train is hella annoying sometimes. Especially after Flames/Stamps games, but it does a good job.

There are talks that there will be a Southeast line extending all the way to the new south hospital, and a north central line that will run up Deerfoot Trail, eventually hooking up with that long discussed high-speed rail between here and Edmonton. Also, discussions of putting a subway line beneath 8th Avenue (South of the Downtown C-Train line), utterly pointless, the entire thing was supposed to be built under ground, congestion Downtown would easily benefit from that.

This is like 15 years in the future.

si-cgy-lrtmap8.jpg

Something like this. Probably more fantasy, but give it another 40 years, could look similar to this.

transit-network-2.jpg

Wow! Imagine that.. Richmond Road definitely needs to be connected somehow in the future as well as MRU. That's an amazing concept.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but my feeble mind isn't processing what you're saying. Doesn't the Purple Line run on the same track whether it makes that stop or not? I've never used the Purple Line, so I can't say firsthand.

I'm sorry, but my feeble mind isn't processing what you're saying. Doesn't the Purple Line run on the same track whether it makes that stop or not? I've never used the Purple Line, so I can't say firsthand.

Well its possible but there is a chance that a PLX gets stuck behind a Brown Line local.Therefore if the PLX were to skip Wellington and Diversey,it would have to switch to the middle Red line track and in order for it to go to the Loop from the Red Line track it has to switch back to the Brown line track.Instead of doing this the CTA makes the Purple Line stop at Wellington and Diversey.

Interesting. I like the idea of rail transit, but I can't handle the logistics of it all offhand. There's so much to coordinate!

I hope we get the Yellow Line extension to Old Orchard. The Red Line extension to 130th feels like the right thing to do.

Archived