Seattle Seahawks Color Change

TruColor

So...remember back before the Seahawks unveiled their Bright Green alternate uniforms, and I told everyone not to panic, because the fabric/textile color that they use was actually fairly subtle - not that bright? And then it was anyway? Well, it turns out that it was because they actually changed the Pantone for that color - both in print and in textile terms.

Here's a comparison of the solid/spot colors:

SeattleSeahawksGreen_2008_SOL_SRGB.png < - > SeattleSeahawksGreen_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

...and then, a comparison of the textile colors:

SeattleSeahawksGreen_2008_TEX_SRGB.png < - > SeattleSeahawksGreen_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

Explains a lot. At least to me.

Just doing a quick screenshot of them and bringing them into photoshop, I find a couple things interesting. While red was taken out of both new colors, in the spot colors they add blue and green to the color, while in the textile they take out blue and green. That's just according to my monitor here at work. I just find it interesting that they take out green in the textile.

Just doing a quick screenshot of them and bringing them into photoshop, I find a couple things interesting. While red was taken out of both new colors, in the spot colors they add blue and green to the color, while in the textile they take out blue and green. That's just according to my monitor here at work. I just find it interesting that they take out green in the textile.

That's just how the colors are made using the RGB colorspace, which has nothing to do with how the PANTONE® inks are actually mixed. The processes are more or less opposite, one being additive and the other subtractive.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What the Seahawks really need to do is to make their "Seahawks Blue" (the lighter of the two blues) a uniform shade. The Seahawks Blue in their logo is noticeably different than the Seahawks Blue on their helmets, jerseys and pants. They need to lighten it to the logo shade so that there's more contrast between Seahawks Blue and their Navy Blue. Just my $0.02 worth...

What the Seahawks really need to do is to make their "Seahawks Blue" (the lighter of the two blues) a uniform shade. The Seahawks Blue in their logo is noticeably different than the Seahawks Blue on their helmets, jerseys and pants. They need to lighten it to the logo shade so that there's more contrast between Seahawks Blue and their Navy Blue. Just my $0.02 worth...

Seahawk blue/Pacific blue is a custom color. I don't know how close the textile color they use (or if it is custom) is to the print color. Maybe CWx could post the RGB swatches of the two.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Seahawk blue/Pacific blue is a custom color. I don't know how close the textile color they use (or if it is custom) is to the print color. Maybe CWx could post the RGB swatches of the two.

All I know is that the difference is very noticeable on the helmets.

Seahawks.png

They need to match the colors as closely to the one at the bottom of the logo as possible to give it much better contrast to their Navy Blue.

They need to go back to their old colours.

Thank you !!!......Just go back to the old classic Royal Blue, Kelly Green, and Silver and stop trying to create this weird crap colors....incorporate the new logo if need be.

That Seahawks Blue is a pain in my butt. Originally, they specified a TOYO Ink color to represent it, along with a PANTONE Process Color (CMYK). Here are these two colors:

TOYO_0935_SRGB.pngPPR_DS213-3_C_SRGB.png

Now, the Seahawks (actually, Reebok) specifies a custom color - a proprietary Reebok color that they use both for printing and for the fabric/textile.

RBK_040218_SRGB.png

Personally, I think that thing is WAY too dark...it's practically a slightly lighter Navy in contrast to the Dark Navy they already use:

SeattleSeahawksNavy_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

What I have been looking into, is a more accurate representation of Seahawks Blue for my database. The best that I have come up with (for now anyway) is to take the CMYK values for the color (C:80, M:50, Y:15, K:30) into Illustrator and have AI convert it into RGB:

SeattleSeahawksBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

I can do most of these mathematical conversions programmatically in my databases, but - without getting into the boring complexities - AI can convert CMYK into RGB better than I can (or anyone else that I have found on the net). So for now, the above swatch is what I'm going to use. I think it still might be a bit light...maybe somewhere between my swatch and Reebok's swatch is the true color.

It's all so weird. You'd think that of all the PMS colors, there'd be one that was 'close enough' to the Toyo swatch.

It's all so weird. You'd think that of all the PMS colors, there'd be one that was 'close enough' to the Toyo swatch.

Now that the NFL seems to be embracing the new(er) PANTONE Goe System (e.g., Packers' throwbacks), they should go back and take a look at some of the many possibilities. Goe has almost twice as many colors in it than the PANTONE PLUS Series (formerly called PMS).

Seahawks colors 2002-2008 > Seahwaks colors 2009 - present > Seahawks colors pre 2002

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So...remember back before the Seahawks unveiled their Bright Green alternate uniforms, and I told everyone not to panic, because the fabric/textile color that they use was actually fairly subtle - not that bright? And then it was anyway? Well, it turns out that it was because they actually changed the Pantone for that color - both in print and in textile terms.

SeattleSeahawksGreen_2008_SOL_SRGB.png < - > SeattleSeahawksGreen_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

SeattleSeahawksGreen_2008_TEX_SRGB.png < - > SeattleSeahawksGreen_9999_TEX_SRGB.png

This is actually surprising? I could have sworn the colors went the other way (much more lime now). I attributed this the the success of the Sounders gear (lime green) and with the same owners, they wanted to use the same green between the 2 teams to save on merchandise costs.

This is actually surprising? I could have sworn the colors went the other way (much more lime now). I attributed this the the success of the Sounders gear (lime green) and with the same owners, they wanted to use the same green between the 2 teams to save on merchandise costs.

Good theory, but the Sounders use a completely different Green than any of the ones above:

SeattleSoundersFCGreen_9999_SOL_SRG.png

Right - I was surprised when I went to the Sounders/Seahawks team store in Seattle a few months ago. The green gear looks way less bright in person than it does on TV, and dramatically different from the Seahawks green stuff.

Archived