Pirates and A's in 70's throwbacks

infrared41

It's turn back the clock night in Oakland tonight. I don't recall the A's wearing an all yellow uniform back then and I'm pretty certain the logo on the jerseys was white not green.

Sorry about the quality of the pics.

4737694608_721f65edac.jpg

4737056513_5eb55ab300.jpg4737692682_fd16399ea1.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Don't know about the historical accuracy, but I love the Pirates' stirrups.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Did Majestic only make these in size 60 or something? Every single person looks like their jersey is several sizes too big.

I've noticed this about pullover throwbacks. Whenever teams wear a pullover throwback the players wear jerseys that are larger than the jerseys they normally wear. Either that, or the pullovers just look bigger than a normal button up jersey.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did Majestic only make these in size 60 or something? Every single person looks like their jersey is several sizes too big.

I've noticed this about pullover throwbacks. Whenever teams wear a pullover throwback the players wear jerseys that are larger than the jerseys they normally wear. Either that, or the pullovers just look bigger than a normal button up jersey.

It's because the players lack the guts to wear the form-fitting unis of the '70s and the '80s.

And as for the banana look, this is the 1975 All-Star Game (as previously seen on this site):

vida.jpg

AL.jpg

Every A's combination is in the team photo (white/white, gold/white, green/white and gold/gold worn by pitcher Vida Blue). Never seen green/green except in that drawing, though -- or green/gold, which they could have done too.

Packers-2.png

Overall a very good representation of the uniforms the two teams wore in the 1970s. I'm impressed that the Pirates even got the number font correct -- it's a block font that's highly uncommon.

Two beefs with the Pirates' throwbacks:

1. The middle stripe down the sides of the pants should be black and not white

2. The yellow caps worn Saturday featured black stars on both sides of the "P" -- presumably to represent the Stargell Stars handed to players in 1979. The Stargell Stars were never black -- they were always gold. On the yellow caps, players receiving Stargell Stars put them on the black bill.

Just got home from the game. Spent this morning cleaning out the pictures from my camera so I had room. Then when I got to the game noticed I somehow didn't put my slr in my backpack, ugh.

Here are some pics from si:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/oakland-athletics/gallery/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/teams/oakland-athletics/gallery/

Pirates_Athletics_Baseball.sff_178924_team.jpgPirates_Athletics_Baseball.sff_178923_team.jpg

Pirates_Athletics_Baseball.sff_178914_team.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

That is one of the best looking games of the year!

Also this is what throwbacks should be. A once in a while occasion, not this trend of becoming full time or third jerseys. Throwbacks are great once in a while, but all the teams using throwbacks as current unis are messing things up.

2ly2w09.jpg

al_1973_oakland.gif

So the A's did indeed wear tonight's uniform back in the 70's. Hey it was 30+ years ago what can I say?

I just automatically assume that in the 70s, the A's and Pirates had jerseys and pants in every conceivable combination of team colors.

al_1973_oakland.gif

So the A's did indeed wear tonight's uniform back in the 70's. Hey it was 30+ years ago what can I say?

You can say that you need to brush up on ur uniform history before accusing an entire organization of dreaming up a uniform :P Just kidding brotha.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

While I'm not advocating for the return of pullovers or sans-a-belts, I do think that the A's should go back to having just "A's" (or, preferably, even just "A") on the chest of their jersey. I liked the script jerseys when they came out in '87, but now they just seem old to me. The A monogram has a long history, back to Philadelphia, and (more importantly) just looks better to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If I were a 20-something year old guy who wasn't a member of a uniform forum, I'd say that the Pirates all-black uni makes them look more intimidating. Looks like the Pirates took BBTV's advice, as quoted in my sig below.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Majestic's TBTC pullovers are a full size bigger. I went to Angels Stadium last year and picked up the 70's throwback they wore last season. I normally wear a 48, but it was like a tent. I tried on the 44 and it fit like a normal 48. I went through all the 48's they had and they were all the same. To confirm, I held up the 48 and 44 TBTC against the authentics they had for sale.

I spoke to someone else on the board about it last summer and they had an identical experience with a TBTC pullover. For whatever reason, Majestic is making them bigger.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived