Unpopular Opinions

46 minutes ago, IceCap said:

So if things were different they'd be different. Great, gotcha.

As in, all that success in the 80s has made people view this dated logo with rose tinted glasses. Nostalgia is a very real thing. That logo should have stayed in the 80s though. Success can make a crappy logo tolerable sometimes, and in this case, that logo is mostly associated with greatness, not with being a good logo

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

As in, all that success in the 80s has made people view this dated logo with rose tinted glasses. Nostalgia is a very real thing. That logo should have stayed in the 80s though. Success can make a crappy logo tolerable sometimes, and in this case, that logo is mostly associated with greatness, not with being a good logo

I get what you're saying. I just disagree. 

It's the same bad argument of "everyone would hate the Yankees' uniforms if they were unveiled today." 

You can't separate a logo or uniform from the context it exists in. That's part of it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's the same bad argument of "everyone would hate the Yankees' uniforms if they were unveiled today."

I'm not a baseball fan, so I can't say anything about the Yankees in particular. Wouldn't say that's a bad argument. A lot of old uniforms are super quirky and just cause something is old, doesn't mean it's good or that it's timeless. Some old stuff is just bad and dated. I get that it's all very subjective, but some things are more subjective than others lol. Like the Bruins wearing yellow socks with their black jerseys, if they came out today, some people would hate it and some would say it balances colors better on the uniform because of the yellow shoulder yokes. If the Oilers logo came out today, people would absolutely hate the font used in the logo, and for good reason. Not sure why that's a "bad" argument. Old things are exempt from criticism?

40 minutes ago, IceCap said:

You can't separate a logo or uniform from the context it exists in

AKSHULLY, I sure can. I'm not an Oilers fan and I've never seen Gretzky, Messier or Kurri play in those jerseys. This uniform has no meaning for me, no context. I grew up watching hockey when the Oilers were navy and copper. I feel like my opinion is as unbiased as it gets, even though my own personal tastes may get in the way

52 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I grew up watching hockey when the Oilers were navy and copper. I feel like my opinion is as unbiased as it gets, even though my own personal tastes may get in the way

So did I, and I think the logo looks perfectly fine. Do the Islanders need to change their logo just because it's old and I have no context for their dynasty since I grew up seeing them as a punchline? No, because that's the logo that's associated with 4 straight Stanley Cups and some of the best players to ever skate at that time, like Bossy, Trottier, Goring and the like. Same with the Oilers; that logo saw 5 Cups, and probably would've saw a sixth had Roloson not gotten injured in 2006.

The Oilers' logo has remained virtually the same for 47 years and counting. It's been worn by legends like Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Messier and Anderson to nearly-unparalleled success, and I'd much rather they stick to that tradition than redesign into some kind of silly oil worker logo or go minimalist and completely botch it. We don't need the Oilers going down the road of the Bengals by massively oversimplifying their logo.

There's value in tradition. The Flyers have never changed their logo, do we need them to make some dumb modernized version of their logo as the new primary just to say they're "in the 21st century now"?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

So did I, and I think the logo looks perfectly fine. Do the Islanders need to change their logo just because it's old and I have no context for their dynasty since I grew up seeing them as a punchline? No, because that's the logo that's associated with 4 straight Stanley Cups and some of the best players to ever skate at that time, like Bossy, Trottier, Goring and the like. Same with the Oilers; that logo saw 5 Cups, and probably would've saw a sixth had Roloson not gotten injured in 2006.

The Oilers' logo has remained virtually the same for 47 years and counting. It's been worn by legends like Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Messier and Anderson to nearly-unparalleled success, and I'd much rather they stick to that tradition than redesign into some kind of silly oil worker logo or go minimalist and completely botch it. We don't need the Oilers going down the road of the Bengals by massively oversimplifying their logo.

There's value in tradition. The Flyers have never changed their logo, do we need them to make some dumb modernized version of their logo as the new primary just to say they're "in the 21st century now"?

Flyers tried that, and back to the current logo.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

9 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah and my point is, it's looked awful for 47 years and counting. The Flyers don't need to change their logo, it doesn't look dated. But they did anyway like the poster after me said, and it didn't stick because their logo is already pretty much perfect. They're one of the rare teams that got it right the first time

If every single O6 team has tweaked their logo several times to keep things fresh, the Oilers can afford to tweak theirs. No O6 team has gone down the "Bengals road". They can modernize the logo without dumbing it down

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yeah and my point is, it's looked awful for 47 years and counting. The Flyers don't need to change their logo, it doesn't look dated. But they did anyway like the poster after me said, and it didn't stick because their logo is already pretty much perfect. They're one of the rare teams that got it right the first time

If every single O6 team has tweaked their logo several times to keep things fresh, the Oilers can afford to tweak theirs. No O6 team has gone down the "Bengals road". They can modernize the logo without dumbing it down

So what exactly is wrong with the oilers logo other than “I don’t like it”?

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

So what exactly is wrong with the oilers logo other than “I don’t like it”?

The font, makes the logo look extremely dated. You can immediately tell the logo was created in the 70s just by looking at it. And beyond the logo, the white jersey looks good and is well balanced but the blue jersey is way too loud and has too much orange on it. And every orange jersey they've worn has been an eyesore. Could still use a tweak or two, like making the oil drop bigger and having less drip on the letters and switching to a sans serif font , for example

But yeah granted, it mostly amounts to "I don't like it". Pic related, the Oilers jersey if it were a living roomspacer.png

4 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

AKSHULLY, I sure can.

Well you can, but it just makes you seem kinda clueless. You never saw Gretzky and co. play? Ok, I guess the memories of Oilers fans and their team's legacy doesn't count!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

I know this is the "unpopular opinion" thread but geeze....the Buffaslug? I was posting here when that thing debuted and, save for one diehard Sabres fan who was determined not to be disappointed, everyone hated it. Even the other Sabres fans. And I mean everyone. It was one of those "everyone came together" dealios 😛

Buffaslug and Thunder OKC are in a photo finish for worst reception on here. We've had some MLS stinkers since then but nothing like those.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think the Buffaslug was a terrible logo.  I just think it was a huge letdown given that the team was going back to it's blue/yellow roots (kinda) and people were hoping for something that reminded them of the familiar logo and/or something like the concepts that were floating around (basically a larger sword to buffalo ratio in terms of space taken up). I remember seeing the Buffaslug and just feeling the the rug had been pulled out from under me (and I'm not a Sabres fan).  I think it was more the "wrong" logo than a "bad" logo.

As for OKC, I think it was designed so whatever name was chosen to be placed on top of the "OKC."  Seemed like a placeholder but here we are 12 years later and it's still in use.  I'd have lost a lot of money betting on that...

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, Ridleylash said:

Thank You, Well spoke! You can go back through time (all sports) and see how many Teams have rarely if ever have changed logos or even altered those logos.
Montreal Canadiens, NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh Steelers (yinzers would burn the City down to the ground if the Steelers ever changed or messed with their logo)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

Montreal Canadiens, NY Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh Steelers (yinzers would burn the City down to the ground if the Steelers ever changed or messed with their logo)

You can't say that and leave out the only team in the NBA that has never changed their primary logo since the franchise's inception.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No clue how popular/unpopular this is, but I hate the manufacturer-specific designs in soccer. The adidas three stripes in particular are annoying (especially the MLS template where it goes over the shoulder on one side) and I wish it was more like other sports where the manufacturer doesn't have a "design element" outside of their logo on the jerseys.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

3 hours ago, QCS said:

No clue how popular/unpopular this is, but I hate the manufacturer-specific designs in soccer. The adidas three stripes in particular are annoying (especially the MLS template where it goes over the shoulder on one side) and I wish it was more like other sports where the manufacturer doesn't have a "design element" outside of their logo on the jerseys.

Honestly, I dont mind the adidas stripes with the exception of the ones you mention on the MLS jerseys.

That said, I do mind the kappa logo stripes and puma having three logos on one jersey.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske