Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, _J_ said:

Honestly? A team named the presidents would be tied to whoever is in the office. Is it unfair? Possibly, but the first thing that would come to mind is whoever is in office at the time. All of the other ones manage to be abstract concepts.

On the other hand, someone who dislikes whoever is the President of the United States at the moment, but is a fan of a Washington Presidents team, might display a sign at a game or post an image on social media that has a picture of the POTUS with a caption like "THIS is NOT my President!" next to a team pic with a caption such as "THESE are MY Presidents!"  Also, just imagine the many American Revolution-inspired chants and memes that could be created if a Washington team nicknamed the Presidents plays for a championship against a team with a monarchic nickname.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I'd even suspect that takes Senators off the table.  Even in 2004 or whenever the Expos moved, government is too polarizing at this point.  In 1901 or whenever the original Senators were named, it was probably received better than it would be today.

From what I remember, the notion of changing the Expos' nickname to the Senators was opposed by Washington, D.C.'s local political establishment not so much because of any general sense of polarization regarding the federal government, but rather because of ongoing displeasure over the District of Columbia's lack of representation in the United States Senate.  At least one politician in that city suggested Grays, the nickname of a Negro League baseball team that split many of its seasons between Pittsburgh and the District, as a better identity for the team, so the eventual branding of the Washington Nationals may very well have been a compromise between Senators and Grays.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

On the other hand, someone who dislikes whoever is the President of the United States at the moment, but is a fan of a Washington Presidents team, might display a sign at a game or post an image on social media that has a picture of the POTUS with a caption like "THIS is NOT my President!" next to a team pic with a caption such as "THESE are MY Presidents!"  Also, just imagine the many American Revolution-inspired chants and memes that could be created if a Washington team nicknamed the Presidents plays for a championship against a team with a monarchic nickname.

From what I remember, the notion of changing the Expos' nickname to the Senators was opposed by Washington, D.C.'s local political establishment not so much because of any general sense of polarization regarding the federal government, but rather because of ongoing displeasure over the District of Columbia's lack of representation in the United States Senate.  At least one local politician in that city suggested Grays, the nickname of a Negro League baseball team that split many of its seasons between Pittsburgh and the District, as a better identity for the team, so the eventual branding of the Washington Nationals may very well have been a compromise between Senators and Grays.

Feel like that corner(Revolution) is taken by the Pats.

I'd hate the Grays going to DC as the Washington baseball name because I strongly feel that name belongs to Homestead/Pittsburgh more than it does DC

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, _J_ said:

Feel like that corner(Revolution) is taken by the Pats.

I'd hate the Grays going to DC as the Washington baseball name because I strongly feel that name belongs to Homestead/Pittsburgh more than it does DC

The Bridge that leads me from my local community (Homestead / West Homestead and Munhall) to the City of Pittsburgh is now called the Homestead Grays Bridge (formerly the Homestead Hi-level Bridge) 

12 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

The Bridge that leads me from my local community (Homestead / West Homestead and Munhall) to the City of Pittsburgh is now called the Homestead Grays Bridge (formerly the Homestead Hi-level Bridge) 

Yup taken it many times.

Then again, you could argue that the Rankin bridge does the same thing, but indirectly.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the Detroit Tigers home uniforms. Classic chest-D or 2018-present cap-D on the jerseys. I don’t know what it is about them, but I just don’t like them. That being said, I have no idea how I’d fix them either. Maybe a Tigers script, and/or include orange? IDK, but for some reason I just don’t like their home set and can’t put my finger on why. 

On 9/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, -Akronite- said:

Red/Blue NFL Teams

Pats: red looks great but traditionally a blue team and the whole "Redcoats" thing

Bills: traditionally blue and look better in blue

Giants: differing home/road color emphasis, works well enough for them

Titans: favors navy, fans beg for Columbia, red has small role in ID

Texans: red alt looks good, but team has been blue first so far

Not sure any of these teams NEEDS to emphasize red, but I guess I'd pick Houston, as they look good in red and have less history to buck.

They've only been blue-first since '93, and I figure there are a good number of folks who'd like the Pats to revert to red, or at least roll out a red alt someday. 

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't like pinstriped uniforms for the most part. In baseball they just look ugly and crowd the jersey without adding much, the only way pinstripes look good is if they're spaced out.

spacer.pngspacer.png

This includes the Yankees, who I think have some of the overrated jerseys in any sport ever. The Tigers' home jersey is a better version of the Yankees'. It also includes the Magic, who have never looked good in pinstripes. Pretty much every team that wears pinstripes would be improved by getting rid of them.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

Thanks for reminding me of how poorly the Hornets' pinstripes got reproduced.  WAAAAAAY too thick on Nike's part.  A shame because everything else looked right.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Michigan looks best on the road with the white striped pants. Not sure what the popular opinion is here, but it seems most Michigan fans prefer the maize pants. I love how the striping on the white pants matches up with the helmet stripes. It also keeps them balanced and not too maize heavy. 

I love the name Minnesota Wild. It works with the geographic name. If it was the Los Angeles Wild, or even the Minneapolis Wild, it would be some XFL-level cheese. But I see it as short for Minnesota Wildlife. I love their branding that has stayed somewhat minimalistic (I’m sure there’s a better word to use there). But the logo being an undefined wild creature, with the imagery of a nature scene...idk, I just think the name Minnesota Wild works really well. 

5 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

I love the name Minnesota Wild. It works with the geographic name. If it was the Los Angeles Wild, or even the Minneapolis Wild, it would be some XFL-level cheese. But I see it as short for Minnesota Wildlife. I love their branding that has stayed somewhat minimalistic (I’m sure there’s a better word to use there). But the logo being an undefined wild creature, with the imagery of a nature scene...idk, I just think the name Minnesota Wild works really well. 

I’m probably biased but I agree. I mean if it was named after a city, like St. Paul where they play, it would be really weird. However, Minnesota has vast amounts of wilderness, so it really does work. The branding is also fantastic, which really helps!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Texas has too many Texas Flag-themed unis. 

The Texans are blue and red, just like half the league. 

The Rangers are the same. Snooze. They have some powder blues, but those more belong to Phils, Rays, Brewers, Jays, etc. 

The Stars' 3rd jerseys (neon green and black) are fantastic! 

While I'm here, I may as well admit that I liked the glow puck as well. I'm so sorry, everyone...

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I absolutely hate how the Flyers have contrasting nameplates. I'd understand if it was tradition, but it only started in the late 2000s. Their original jerseys had normal nameplates, there's no reason for them to continue to do this, it's simply different for the sake of being different.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

44 minutes ago, QCS said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, but I absolutely hate how the Flyers have contrasting nameplates. I'd understand if it was tradition, but it only started in the late 2000s. Their original jerseys had normal nameplates, there's no reason for them to continue to do this, it's simply different for the sake of being different.

I don't mind it at all. For a unique quirk for one team to have, I think its perfectly fine.

• Like 1

I think it looks great on the orange home jersey, because it mimics the 70’s when they had to add a nameplate to the jersey. So they just borrowed the plates from the home white jersey and slapped it on the orange, creating the contrasting effect. But the current white jersey with the black nameplate is just stupid... And it doesn’t look as good as black lettering on a white plate would. 

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

One of my biggest issues with their current look is the fact that double-digit numbers overlap the edge of the striping, which really doesn't look that good, to me. The set Philly's using for their Reverse Retro did the same concept better by just widening the entire stripe to fit double-digit numbers perfectly;

spacer.png

That fully contains the numbers and makes it so they don't overlap the jersey design for no real reason. That's probably why this is my favourite Flyers jersey, honestly.

• Like 3