Unpopular Opinions

On 2/3/2021 at 2:28 AM, dont care said:

Would you rather players have nothing to signify their accomplishments they can display at home? The team only gets one trophy

There are other ways to reward individuals for team accomplishments. FWIW, French league and league cup both give out mini-trophies

spacer.png

but my preference is medals, as is done in the Olympics and most other competitions outside North America. You receive them right after the game and not months later, maybe after having changed teams. They’re given out by the competition instead of the team, and the officials greeting the losers first is great. Plus the team is actually handed the trophy instead of it being handed out to the owners

• Like 1
07Giants.pngnyy.png

5 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

There are other ways to reward individuals for team accomplishments. FWIW, French league and league cup both give out mini-trophies

spacer.png

but my preference is medals, as is done in the Olympics and most other competitions outside North America. You receive them right after the game and not months later, maybe after having changed teams. They’re given out by the competition instead of the team, and the officials greeting the losers first is great. Plus the team is actually handed the trophy instead of it being handed out to the owners

I prefer rings because you can actually wear it and display it in a social setting rather than only really being able to have it only displayed at your house.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and double post - while they're nothing new or exciting, the Isles' Reverse Retros are great on the ice. They should be the team's full-time look. This team looks better in navy.

Another lackluster performance results in the Sabres second-straight loss  to the Islanders - Die By The Blade

Them against the new Sabres away jerseys may be one of the best uniform matchups in quite some time.

• Like 10

I don't know if it quite fits here, but the Winnipeg Jets' (v2.0) overall identity has really grown on me. The logo seemed underwhelming when it first came out, but it, along with the home, road, and alternate sets, by and large was designed (intentional or not) with a certain level of staying power, which is especially ironic given how quickly everything was apparently put together.

Kyle-Connor-1-1040x572.jpg

CP115963665.jpg?w=2048

jets.jpg

• Like 6

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

On 2/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, DTConcepts said:

These helmets aren't bad on their own. If they were unveiled along with the team's normal identity a few years back, it would've been totally fine.

Et_01erVcAUOrM5?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

I'd honestly like to see them paired with the Reverse Retro jerseys. My biggest thing is the chrome effect--make those more of a traditional metallic flake sheen such as on a football helmet (to match the gold on their jerseys) and they're really onto something.

• Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

On 3/7/2021 at 12:50 AM, DustDevil61 said:

I'd honestly like to see them paired with the Reverse Retro jerseys. My biggest thing is the chrome effect--make those more of a traditional metallic flake sheen such as on a football helmet (to match the gold on their jerseys) and they're really onto something.

I would go with more of a Notre Dame gold flake finish. Blingy enough to be tied to a Las Vegas team, but not as ridiculous as chrome.

Notre Dame Sports Apparel: Fanatics Signs a 10-Year Deal - Bloomberg

• Like 6

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

16 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I would go with more of a Notre Dame gold flake finish. Blingy enough to be tied to a Las Vegas team, but not as ridiculous as chrome.

Notre Dame Sports Apparel: Fanatics Signs a 10-Year Deal - Bloomberg

I thought of that too—I’m OK with the Knights going with a Notre Dame effect or a more traditional gold finish. Just match it as best as you can with the shiny material on the jersey.

And since I’m on the subject: I wished a handful more NHL/AHL/ECHL/Upper level college/junior/etc. hockey teams would apply football aesthetics to their helmets. Think along the lines of the University of Michigan’s helmets. It can’t be any worse than helmet ads, right?

• Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

On 3/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, DustDevil61 said:

I don't know if it quite fits here, but the Winnipeg Jets' (v2.0) overall identity has really grown on me. The logo seemed underwhelming when it first came out, but it, along with the home, road, and alternate sets, by and large was designed (intentional or not) with a certain level of staying power, which is especially ironic given how quickly everything was apparently put together.

Kyle-Connor-1-1040x572.jpg

One of the few NHL teams where the away/white jersey is more interesting than the home (and I was impressed when I saw someone on the street wearing one...it looks great in person). 

In 2011 I was hoping for a return to an 80s or 90s Jets look, but the current set has aged pretty well. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, DTConcepts said:

I'll go ahead and double post - while they're nothing new or exciting, the Isles' Reverse Retros are great on the ice. They should be the team's full-time look. This team looks better in navy.

Another lackluster performance results in the Sabres second-straight loss  to the Islanders - Die By The Blade

Them against the new Sabres away jerseys may be one of the best uniform matchups in quite some time.

Don't know if this is unpopular, but I think navy is the worst color in sports. Besides the teams that have used it historically (Yankees, Red Sox, etc.), no one should use it.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I like Navy in general, though it might be overused.

Not sure how unpopular this is but I think the Bears are by far the "drabbest" team in the NFL. I admit that I don't know much about pantones, etc. but if you look at the Islanders photo above, I think it's a decent look.  I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the Bears blue is darker.  I think if their blue looked like the Islanders (i.e., a bit lighter) or if it was just black instead of blue (i.e., like the Bengals), I'd like their look a lot better. But their shade is kind of in this weird in-between spot that just doesn't appeal to me.

If I am wrong about the darkness of the Bears's color, then it must be something about the way they balance their colors.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Not sure how unpopular this is but I think the Bears are by far the "drabbest" team in the NFL. I admit that I don't know much about pantones, etc. but if you look at the Islanders photo above, I think it's a decent look.  I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the Bears blue is darker.  I think if their blue looked like the Islanders (i.e., a bit lighter) or if it was just black instead of blue (i.e., like the Bengals), I'd like their look a lot better. But their shade is kind of in this weird in-between spot that just doesn't appeal to me.

If I am wrong about the darkness of the Bears's color, then it must be something about the way they balance their colors.

Might be the amount of orange too. Islanders use a lot more orange than the bears do, so it could impact it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 3/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, OnWis97 said:

The Bears blue is definitely much darker than your average navy, it borders on black. I am in agreement that Chicago is probably the "drabbest" team in the league after the Jets rebrand.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, DustDevil61 said:

I thought of that too—I’m OK with the Knights going with a Notre Dame effect or a more traditional gold finish. Just match it as best as you can with the shiny material on the jersey.

And since I’m on the subject: I wished a handful more NHL/AHL/ECHL/Upper level college/junior/etc. hockey teams would apply football aesthetics to their helmets. Think along the lines of the University of Michigan’s helmets. It can’t be any worse than helmet ads, right?

This does happen in college and it's great, I agree it should be applied more cause the helmet is part of the look.

IV7WEUK6LNBWHA5NSSZ67IJNR4.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 1:45 AM, DustDevil61 said:

That's an unpopular opinion? I think their current set with the light blue alternate is a modern classic and better than what they used to wear in the 90s and 80s

On 3/12/2021 at 10:00 AM, WSU151 said:

One of the few NHL teams where the away/white jersey is more interesting than the home (and I was impressed when I saw someone on the street wearing one...it looks great in person). 

In 2011 I was hoping for a return to an 80s or 90s Jets look, but the current set has aged pretty well. 

Agreed. Their white jersey does look great

• Like 2

7 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

This does happen in college and it's great, I agree it should be applied more cause the helmet is part of the look.

IV7WEUK6LNBWHA5NSSZ67IJNR4.JPG

When I worked in junior hockey in Canada, we had a tradition where teams would add stripes to their helmets with tape when they made the playoffs. It was a nice change from the usual and felt like a reward. 

2018-OHL-Draft-Picture.jpg

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17