Unpopular Opinions

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

So, ummm, where are you going to build the stadium at in San Diego? You know they tore down Jack Murphy for a smaller college venue stadium, right?

You say that like there is no room in San Diego, other cities that are much more densely packed figure it out all the time, just in a quick satellite search I found areas around the airport, museum, and outskirts and directly next to old Qualcomm that all work.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

So, ummm, where are you going to build the stadium at in San Diego? You know they tore down Jack Murphy for a smaller college venue stadium, right?

There are plenty of places in San Diego County that could fit a stadiunm, but Spanos never wanted any of them because he wanted to move the team to LA the moment he took over from his dad. He never negotiated in good faith.

:censored: you, Spanos.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 hours ago, dont care said:

You say that like there is no room in San Diego, other cities that are much more densely packed figure it out all the time, just in a quick satellite search I found areas around the airport, museum, and outskirts and directly next to old Qualcomm that all work.

Give me a full map of San Diego and then we'll talk. I been there before. There is extra space in El Cajon which is east of San Diego, so would that work?

2 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

Give me a full map of San Diego and then we'll talk. I been there before. There is extra space in El Cajon which is east of San Diego, so would that work?

Did you read my post at all? I actually identified 4 places specifically that can fit not just a stadium but parking too if they wanted to. Not to mention cities have been repurposing areas of cities to fit stadiums for eons. San Diego could find a near infinite places to place a stadium if they wanted to.

24 minutes ago, dont care said:

Did you read my post at all? I actually identified 4 places specifically that can fit not just a stadium but parking too if they wanted to. Not to mention cities have been repurposing areas of cities to fit stadiums for eons. San Diego could find a near infinite places to place a stadium if they wanted to.

Hey, I just said El Cajon which is further east of San Diego which is just far east San Diego. I rode the rail out there where a Targets, a larger McDonalds, etc was at. I can pull up the map and show you what I am referring to.

28 minutes ago, dont care said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9z9mtjcrr6ETsZ5T8

What is interesting is San Diego State University is not to far from El Cajon if you just straight shoot through Highway 8.

On 8/30/2024 at 8:48 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The real hate should go to the San Diego fans. The team was in the bottom half in attendance for years before moving to LA.

Attendance tends to suffer when your dip:censored: owners go full "Major League" on the franchise to justify moving the team.

• Like 8

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 8/30/2024 at 8:48 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The real hate should go to the San Diego fans. The team was in the bottom half in attendance for years before moving to LA.

You mean the ones that only had attendance drop below 60k in the final year after spanos already was moving the team, or that never dropped below 20th in attendance until that last year. 

• Like 2

I never understand why the fans get blamed for a team moving. There's certainly been tons of bad fitting markets and bad situations for teams in all the leagues, but blaming the fans is ridiculous. Every cable bill they pay has a portion that ends up in the leagues/teams' pockets, lots of times the city/state pays for the stadiums, which eventually comes out of taxes they pay. The amount of jerseys, hats and memorabilia fans continuously buy at inflated prices is crazy.

Nobody shames people for not buying supporting crappy local businesses. If there's a bad restaurant with bad food and bad service, nobody is walking around after they close berating people for not spending enough of their money there to keep it open.  Businesses are run by people, and if they're run poorly, it's not the customers' fault for not supporting them.

There's nothing wrong with going to see the KC Royals or any other team when they are in the midst of a stretch of losing 106 games season after season and then wanting to see them when they may win 88 games and make the playoffs. But having to go during the times ownership isn't in the hunt for a new stadium (and willing to spend money for a few years) is a fair choice and has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan or frontrunner. It's just an easy excuse for owners using the narrative 'But the fans aren't showing up...' without looking at the mirror for the reason. If the owner doesn't care, why should the fans?

• Like 1

Spanos wanted to build "The Convadium," a dual-use and prohibitively expensive Chargers/Comic-Con facility that would ensure a climate-controlled football environment for the city with the best weather in America. I don't know if Spanos was negotiating in bad faith or he was just stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, schlim said:

I never understand why the fans get blamed for a team moving. There's certainly been tons of bad fitting markets and bad situations for teams in all the leagues, but blaming the fans is ridiculous. Every cable bill they pay has a portion that ends up in the leagues/teams' pockets, lots of times the city/state pays for the stadiums, which eventually comes out of taxes they pay. The amount of jerseys, hats and memorabilia fans continuously buy at inflated prices is crazy.

Nobody shames people for not buying supporting crappy local businesses. If there's a bad restaurant with bad food and bad service, nobody is walking around after they close berating people for not spending enough of their money there to keep it open.  Businesses are run by people, and if they're run poorly, it's not the customers' fault for not supporting them.

There's nothing wrong with going to see the KC Royals or any other team when they are in the midst of a stretch of losing 106 games season after season and then wanting to see them when they may win 88 games and make the playoffs. But having to go during the times ownership isn't in the hunt for a new stadium (and willing to spend money for a few years) is a fair choice and has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan or frontrunner. It's just an easy excuse for owners using the narrative 'But the fans aren't showing up...' without looking at the mirror for the reason. If the owner doesn't care, why should the fans?

When it comes to San Diego, I think a lot of people like to hate on the fans since they think Los Angeles is right next door and shouldn't be that big of a deal to still follow the team and go to games.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:57 PM, The_Admiral said:

Spanos wanted to build "The Convadium," a dual-use and prohibitively expensive Chargers/Comic-Con facility that would ensure a climate-controlled football environment for the city with the best weather in America. I don't know if Spanos was negotiating in bad faith or he was just stupid.

It was always bad faith with the Spanos family from the moment the Qualcomm renovations finished up and Alex immediately started threatening to move to LA if he didn't get a new stadium. 

There was nothing San Diego could have done to keep the Chargers. The Spanos family had no love for the city, always thought it was beneath them, and delusionally believed there was a significant fanbase in LA that could keep them afloat when they moved and build up over time. Dean actually used to claim that at least 25% of the Chargers' fanbase came from LA or OC. That's been exposed as such a bold-faced lie over the last 8 years that it's been memoryholed. The only reason they didn't actually move the team until 2016 is because that's how long it took for someone competent to bring the NFL back to LA so they could ride his coattails. They couldn't do anything themselves in SD or LA.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I actually like it when sports teams include manufacturer's marks (nike, addidas, etc.) on their uniforms. Even though they're not necessary, I think they add an extra layer of authenticity.

• Like 2

2483115_nxeosjolm2c981k_full.jpeg

I like glossy batting helmets in baseball. Some matte helmets do look nice, and I realize the matte is supposed to look more like hats...but I was watching the Red Sox game the other day and I thought man those helmets still look good even into the 2020s. The Guardians and Cardinals navy helmets look good too (so maybe it's just a navy helmet thing Idk). I'd rather see the Pirates and Giants in glossy black batting helmets. And sometimes I miss the Dodgers in glossy blue helmets. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I like glossy batting helmets in baseball. Some matte helmets do look nice, and I realize the matte is supposed to look more like hats...but I was watching the Red Sox game the other day and I thought man those helmets still look good even into the 2020s. The Guardians and Cardinals navy helmets look good too (so maybe it's just a navy helmet thing Idk). I'd rather see the Pirates and Giants in glossy black batting helmets. And sometimes I miss the Dodgers in glossy blue helmets. 

I think it's definitely on a color-by-color basis, at least to me.  Darker definitely works better.

The Phillies wouldn't look good in helmets like this:
c26b0e186f2b48c56556808a2906b8fa.jpg?v=1

But this would be great for their throwbacks (if it was historically accurate)

z5gs-card.jpg

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/3/2024 at 3:23 PM, FriedPickles said:

I actually like it when sports teams include manufacturer's marks (nike, addidas, etc.) on their uniforms. Even though they're not necessary, I think they add an extra layer of authenticity.

I liked when the NFL teams had different manufacturers for their jerseys and pants. For example, I liked when the Giants, Panthers, and Lions was Reebok in 1995 and 1996, then Champion was the Bills, Bengals, Jets, Bears, and Saints, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I liked when the NFL teams had different manufacturers for their jerseys and pants. For example, I liked when the Giants, Panthers, and Lions was Reebok in 1995 and 1996, then Champion was the Bills, Bengals, Jets, Bears, and Saints, etc.

I wouldn’t be opposed to the AFC & NFC using different uniform manufacturers and switching off every 5 or so years

• Love 1

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to the AFC & NFC using different uniform manufacturers and switching off every 5 or so years

Competition between manufacturers could force some more creativity and uniqueness with new designs (though with how some ultra-modern designs have come out in recent years, I'm not sure whether that would actually produce good designs)

• Like 2
  • Love 1