Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

I don't like Knights and Nets doesn't sound good, either. They need to find a name which doesn't start with N, so the name won't get mismoshed with Brooklyn and come out sounding like one word.

I believe that was the intention of Brooklyn Knights was to make it sound like Brooklynites.

I think Knights would be a great name. Other than going really baseball-retro with "Atlantics", which I don't see happening, there's not really all that much out there that would be better.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Knights and Nets doesn't sound good, either. They need to find a name which doesn't start with N, so the name won't get mismoshed with Brooklyn and come out sounding like one word.

I believe that was the intention of Brooklyn Knights was to make it sound like Brooklynites.

I think Knights would be a great name. Other than going really baseball-retro with "Atlantics", which I don't see happening, there's not really all that much out there that would be better.

Knights doesn't start with N, but i see what your saying. If they do change the name from Nets, i would be ok with Knights. At least they are out of the Meadowlands, so Swamp Dragons wont be happening

GO NETS.

I understand that. I think it is stupid reasoning trying to be cutsie and it would ultimately weaken the brand.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I understand that. I think it is stupid reasoning trying to be cutsie and it would ultimately weaken the brand.

While I agree that "Brooklyn Knights" is too clever by half, "weaken the brand"?

I don't see that at all - there's nothing inherently wrong or minor-league with "Knights," and the merchandising opportunities are as solid as they could be.

It's not like we're talking about "Montgomery Biscuits" or something minor-league cutsie like that.

Whoever said Brooklyn Empire, love it!

However, nitpickers will be quick to point out that the Empire State Building is found in the borough of Manhattan, not Brooklyn -- so it's probably a no-go.

6uXNWAo.png

While I agree that "Brooklyn Knights" is too clever by half, "weaken the brand"?

I don't see that at all - there's nothing inherently wrong or minor-league with "Knights," and the merchandising opportunities are as solid as they could be.

It's not like we're talking about "Montgomery Biscuits" or something minor-league cutsie like that.

I think it weakens the brand in that, when people say the full name instead of reading it, others not familiar with the team would think they were referring to the team as people of Brooklyn and not a team called the Knights. "Hey, I am going to the Bulls game tonight. They play the Brooklynites." "Cool. What is the Brooklyn team's name?"

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ballers is a bad name, agreed. It's going to sound extremely dated in a few years, once people have moved on from using the term (if they haven't stopped using it already). It'd be like naming the team the Brooklyn Homeboys, or the Brooklyn Mack Daddies, or the Brooklyn Hep Cats.

Presumably, they're smart enough to realize this.

Well now I'm really hoping for Brooklyn Hep Cats.

msg-117798227822.jpg

So many ridiculous offerings in this thread...

Let's remember Prokhorov said all along he plans to make the Nets (or whatever incarnation comes out of the move) an international brand. Needless to say any name change will be something marketable overseas. The easy pick is Brooklyn Knights because of its alliteration, but I don't think that's going to be it. And for what it's worth, I don't think there's copyright infringement across different leagues, especially so with a minor league soccer team.

Edit: meant to say across different sports

I don't know where you're from, but in Gotham, we have good diction.

Chicago, so consolidation is a battle we have to fight every day. If you have any further questions, I'll be in the corner drawing with this boxacrans.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll be really curious to see how they brand it in the end, because the possibilities are pretty wide and if they nail it, it'll be huge.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Prokhorov and the Maloofs should do a franchise flip flop. Prokie buys the Kings and sells the Nets to the Maloofs. Move the Kings to Brooklyn and the Maloofs can move the Nets anywhere they want since a new arena Sacramento is looking less likely by the minute. Brooklyn Kings has such a nice ring to it.

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

Archived