Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brooklyn Dynamo

Already spoken for by Houston's MLS team. Besides, if the idea is to copy Moscow's KHL team it would actually be "Dynamo Brooklyn", and pronounced "di-NAH-mo".

Anyway, seven pages into the thread and amazingly no one's made the obligatory Yakov Smirnoff joke, so I guess I'll have to do the honors:

In Soviet Russia, team name changes you!

CCSLC signature.png

I'm not so sure Knights is the direction they'll go.

Brooklyn Knights is a very traditionally American-style sports team name, and it's a very local reference (I don't know how many people nationally or globally know Brooklyn residents are called Brooklynites before they heard the Knights idea). Prokhorov seems to think the Nets are poised to be the World's Team under his leadership, and there's no reason to think that won't play into how they build the team's brand, and how they try to attract global appeal. Brooklyn Knights is more AAA than EPL.

Maybe something like Dynamo Brooklyn is more like what we'll get than Knights.

No one has posted the most obvious (and so far, most over-used) joke of a name for the Russian owner's new team:

The Brooklyn Nyets?

Seriously, Brooklyn Knights is a beautiful name, and it already lends itself to nice alternative logos featuring "BRK" imbedded in the image

Brooklyn Knights is a very traditionally American-style sports team name, and it's a very local reference (I don't know how many people nationally or globally know Brooklyn residents are called Brooklynites before they heard the Knights idea). Prokhorov seems to think the Nets are poised to be the World's Team under his leadership, and there's no reason to think that won't play into how they build the team's brand, and how they try to attract global appeal. Brooklyn Knights is more AAA than EPL.

Do you think The Sterninator would really let that go down, homey?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Do you think The Sterninator would really let that go down, homey?

At first I agreed, but then I remembered that for the past decade he's done as muc has he possibly can to inject all things European into the NBA, so why not a Euro-style name?

Although if I had to put money on it, I'd still guess we'll end up with Brooklyn Knights.

As long as we're talking color schemes too, I really hope they go unique. Of course, they can get away with staying Navy/Red/Silver but where's the fun in that? Brooklyn Knights in Graphite/Red/Silver would look killer in my eyes. Finally giving us a Brown team would be nice too. As would Pink. Wait, can they pull off Pink?

As would Pink. Wait, can they pull off Pink?

Pink is shunned by the sports logo society. It's a shame. The Nets would be the perfect team to try out a brown/pink color scheme.

The only athlete that can pull off pink is Bret Hart. Everybody else would fail miserably.

I came of age in the 90s and probably would've thought that by 2010 society would've moved on to something else, but (as evidenced by this thread), that's sadly not the case.

Move on from hip hop? Me, too. ;)

No, I'm just yanking your chain.

As for color scheme, I'd like to see them go further with the "dark silver"/gray.

Rather than the team going the traditional "Brooklyn _____s" route, I'm all about the team heading the opposite way. Team name in front, sort of like FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Spirits of St. Louis, or as an earlier poster alluded to, Dynamo Moscow.

And I think they should honor, as another earlier poster alluded to, Brooklyn's history-- particularly the late eighties rap era, and some of the best rap to come out of that time.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

NO SLEEP 'TILL BROOKLYN

....what?! :P

It is what it is.

While we're going at color schemes, why not use orange/black/silver? The NBA needs a Halloween color scheme in there, and Da Bulls won't be close enough.

What about:

--Black/Yellow-Gold (as someone else mentioned)

--Red/Orange/Black

--Graphite/Orange/Red

--Lime Green/Navy Blue

--Forest Green/Copper

I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

Brooklyn Sweathogs --

sweathogs_big.JPG

If that doesn't work, Knights would sound great.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Better to go with "New York Nets." I'm sorta weary of the whole fetishization of Brooklyn.

:censored: Brooklyn, just call 'em the New York Nets and be done with it.

Absolutely right. It shouldn't be "Brooklyn" anything; Brooklyn is a part of New York City. So there should never even have been a question: this club should be reclaiming its identity (unis and all) as the New York Nets.

t10_best-athletes_5.jpg

001289134.jpg

81347081.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54851A313CBDFC22043037234773605FFE619F77135D15322DE

It would appear that the only hope for retaining the actual city name in the team's name is if the team decides that being called "Brooklyn" would be more of a turn-off than a turn-on to a large portion of local fans. For all the talk about taking on the Knicks, the act of calling the team anything but "New York" would actually amount to ceding to the Knicks.

While a "Brooklyn" name would obviously be attractive to the people in that borough, it is no attraction at all for people from Queens (like me, for example); and it would likely repel anyone from Manhattan or the Bronx. Alienating much of the potential local fanbase would be a curious strategy indeed.

If Prokhorov wants his club to be some kind of "world's team", he must first position it as the team of all New York City.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'm not sure I can agree with you. I lived in Queens for years, and I would gladly have supported a "Brooklyn" team. Come to think of it, I did - the Cyclones (and no, not because of the Mets, having very little interest in them). Don't underestimate outer-borough solidarity.

Nor should we forget how terribly hip Brooklyn itself is as a brand. Check out Patrick Stewart at a recent Star Trek convention in Las Vegas:

4875869359_cc1853f8aa_z.jpg

Or this nonsense:

absbrook00.jpg

Brooklyn has its own image, one which can be very, very marketable around the US and around the world.

Archived