Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want them to go with a Gotham moniker. Maybe Gotham Knights.

Isnt Manhattan known as Gotham, not Brooklyn??

Yep. Gotham's been a nickname for Manhattan since the early 1800's.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I think the Brooklyn Jays would sound great..

Granted, the Jays name is already taken by Toronto.

Toronto has the Blue Jays. And again, sport to sport means nothing. You have Cardinals in both baseball and football. Giants in both baseball and football. Panthers in hockey and football. Used to have Oilers in football and hockey. I'm pretty sure the "legal" name incorporates the sport. Like New York Football Giants.

Actually, at the risk of being pedantic, "Gotham" has been a nickname for New York City since the early 1800s. It's just that in the early 1800s, New York City was limited to the island of Manhattan (or most of the island, at any rate).

As New York City has grown, the nickname grew with it. Today, like "The Big Apple," it means "New York City" as a whole, not any one part of it. I'm a native New Yorker who has lived in four of the five bros (sorry Staten Island!), and I've never heard it used in a modern context to refer exclusively to Manhattan.

I think Brooklyn Knights is the optimal choice due to the potential for merchandising based on the 'BK' initials, the obvious potential for a logo that has mass appeal, and the fact that a fairly generic nickname is effective for the owner's supposed goal of creating a 'global' brand for his team.

The suggested black and yellow color scheme would be distinctive within the NBA. Perhaps a custom shade of gold/yellow could be developed to give the Knights their own distinct and easily identifiable merchandise (like the Philadelphia Eagles' Kelly green or the Detroit Lions' Honolulu blue).

oakqb4.jpg

Actually, at the risk of being pedantic, "Gotham" has been a nickname for New York City since the early 1800s. It's just that in the early 1800s, New York City was limited to the island of Manhattan (or most of the island, at any rate).

As New York City has grown, the nickname grew with it. Today, like "The Big Apple," it means "New York City" as a whole, not any one part of it. I'm a native New Yorker who has lived in four of the five bros (sorry Staten Island!), and I've never heard it used in a modern context to refer exclusively to Manhattan.

Exatly, and since it's a common nickname for a city, it would work. Not to mention the pain in the butt it would cause the nicks having another NY team without a NY name. Adding Gotham Knights and making the color scheme Black and Yellow has potential to include even the casual fan into their apparel sales.

I know I would buy a hat to go with a Batman Shirt, or just to wear. Or Customize a number 34 Jersey to say Wayne.

Besides, who else symbolizes a Womanizing Billionare like Prokhorov does Bruce Wayne.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

All this talk about trying to incorporate all of New York into the branding is totally unneccasary. The Nets don't want to do that. The WANT to be known as Brooklyn's team... not NY's team. I'm sure they will get plenty of fans from the Bronx and Manhattan... and certainly LOTS of fans from Queens and Long Island... however they are set on being Brooklyn's team. Brooklyn is not a section of New York City in the same way the Meat Packing District or the Lower East Side is... Brooklyn has 2.5 million residents. By itself it is one of the top 3 or 4 biggest cities in America. There is no way they are going to be called the New York ____s or the Gotham ____s or anything like that. Whatever it is it will be Brookyn _____s.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Well, nothing says Brooklyn 2010 like "I moved here from suburban New Jersey with a bunch of cash to waste on trying to be popular," so I guess the Nets will be as Brooklyny as can be. Brook Lopez can launch a freak-folk label.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Gahhh I just went back to my information source, and it says New York City, for sure. My bad, it's pretty clearly stated and I'm not sue where I got Manhattan from. Take it as more proof that we Long Islanders don't know the city. On a purely logistical level, then, you cold absolutely call the team "Gotham Knights" as tunny originally said.

THAT being said, I love the idea of calling them "Brooklyn _____" over "Gotham _____". Personal preference.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

• 5 weeks later...

From ESPN.com Insider Rumor Central....

Brooklyn New Yorkers for Nets?

Upon moving to Brooklyn, the Nets will have a new team name.

And there's been some recent speculation the name could be the Brooklyn New Yorkers.

According to Nets Daily, two lawyers from Pepper Hamilton, a Philadelphia law firm, sought trademark protection for the name and three logos. The domain name brooklynnewyorkers.com has also recently been purchased.

But whether it's for the Nets is less clear.

"There's no indication in the US Patent and Trademark Office files that the Nets are associated with the lawyers," the site's report reads. "A spokesman for the Nets declined comment Monday when asked about the trademark applications by NetsDaily. A spokesperson for Mikhail Prohorov's Onexim Group told NetsDaily recently that the applications are 'not ours.' The attorney of record on three of the five applications has not responded to a request for information."

For now, there's no strong indication either way here, but an official statement from the team on this may come in the future.

-- Ryan Corazza

God, I hope not.

ltj009.png

Exatly, and since it's a common nickname for a city, it would work. Not to mention the pain in the butt it would cause the nicks having another NY team without a NY name. Adding Gotham Knights and making the color scheme Black and Yellow has potential to include even the casual fan into their apparel sales.

The NHL, NFL, and MLB all seem to manage just fine with two teams using the "New York" moniker.

Plus naming a team after a city's nickname is lame.

Naming a team after a fake team from a comic book franchise is also lame.

Archived