Which Quebec Nordiques logo?

kiwi_canadian

With the Quebec provincial government committing tax dollars towards a new arena and the Canadian federal government thinking about it, I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a state of the art arena in Quebec City in the next few years. If this scenario becomes a reality, I predict that the NHL will be back in Quebec City within 5 years of the arena being completed, if not sooner. Now if this happens, what will the team in Quebec City be called? I think the most obvious choice would be the "Nordiques". If that's the case, which logo do you think they would use?

270.gif or 288.gif ?

Now I know that the original would probably be used as there is a lot of history there and the recent trend is to go old school. If this plays out like this, what happens to the history of the old Nordiques with Colorado?

If the team isn't called the Nordiques, what would be a potential name?

With the Quebec provincial government committing tax dollars towards a new arena and the Canadian federal government thinking about it, I think it's a pretty safe bet that there will be a state of the art arena in Quebec City in the next few years. If this scenario becomes a reality, I predict that the NHL will be back in Quebec City within 5 years of the arena being completed, if not sooner. Now if this happens, what will the team in Quebec City be called? I think the most obvious choice would be the "Nordiques". If that's the case, which logo do you think they would use?

270.gif or 288.gif ?

Now I know that the original would probably be used as there is a lot of history there and the recent trend is to go old school. If this plays out like this, what happens to the history of the old Nordiques with Colorado?

Well, the unused prototype screams "QMJHL" to me, and I hope they wouldn't use it... As for the old school igloo logo, it's one of my favorites of all-time. That being said, if the Nordiques do make a renaissance in Quebec a la the Cleveland Browns, I think their old primary should be moved to a secondary or tertiary.

I'd ask some concept artists out there to submit their ideas, but last time I (innocently) suggested that idea, I received death threats from the self-appointed police officers of these boards who take not only themselves, but the internet, this website and their sense of self wayyyyy to fuggin seriously.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I like the original. It has actual design to it. It has a very Bauhausian style to it. You can't say that about many logos, let alone sports logos. It's what makes a good logo, simple and strong. The proposed new logo is so bad, they had to put the team name underneath it so people would know what it was. It has no feel to it whatsoever, except an over-done logo. There's nothing memorable about it, except it's just bad.

270.gif or 288.gif ?

Well, the unused prototype screams "QMJHL" to me, and I hope they wouldn't use it...

Take a look at the QMJHL section of the main site. The old logo screams "QMJHL" more then the unused logo.

Anyway I'll have to go with the unused logo. The old logo's just so dated. The proposed "new" one, while not great, is the better option, in my opinion. Plus, as solid as it is, red, white, and blue IS overused.

What I wonder is, if the Nordiques had survived and switched to the new logo, would it still be around today. Look at the outcome of the Sabres and the Islanders when they changed their logos to something more "cool". Both are now back to their classic logos.

I think the Nordiques would have made the change, and it would actually have been liked by fans. However, by the time the Reebok Edge took over, it would already have started to look a bit dated and too 90's. With the Edge would come some type of further modernization of the wolf logo. Once third jerseys came back, the Nordiques would jump on the throwback bandwagon and bring back the igloo logo. After mass fan support of the throwback, the classic igloo comes back for the 2010-2011 season. (bow)

70389454.png

270.gif or 288.gif ?

Gotta say I dont like either..

The Nordiques original logo is badly dated and in need of an upgrade. It also has another thing going against it in its overused colour scheme. Four NHL teams use red white and blue already, thats more than enough.

The text heavy wolf logo isnt much better with its 90's colour scheme. We dont need another logo in a triangle either.

I'd say keep the name but design a new identity, one that is fresh and stands out. Determining the right colour scheme is probably the most important thing.

What I wonder is, if the Nordiques had survived and switched to the new logo, would it still be around today. Look at the outcome of the Sabres and the Islanders when they changed their logos to something more "cool". Both are now back to their classic logos.

I think the Nordiques would have made the change, and it would actually have been liked by fans. However, by the time the Reebok Edge took over, it would already have started to look a bit dated and too 90's. With the Edge would come some type of further modernization of the wolf logo. Once third jerseys came back, the Nordiques would jump on the throwback bandwagon and bring back the igloo logo. After mass fan support of the throwback, the classic igloo comes back for the 2010-2011 season. (bow)

Yeah, I think that's probably what would happen uniform-wise if the Nordiques were still in the league. Sports uniform identities have been cyclical as of late, none moreso than the NHL. A good chunk of the league just last year wore throwbacks or fauxbacks on a regular basis, & even more will do the same this year. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the Nordiques would've gone back to the igloo logo by this time.

Considering the old 70's N-igloo logo is among the ugliest things ever created, I'd have to go with the Husky version hands down. Of course they should update the colour scheme and remove the wordmark to make it less dated, but over all it's vastly superior to the igloo.

Archived