Cowboys coaching vacancy!

vicfurth

The thing that Phillips said (which was the last nail in the coffin for me) was a response to what he thought the main problem with the Cowboys is. The answer?

"...I don't know."

Isn't an NFL FOOTBALL COACH supposed to know?!?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gruden made the Raiders and Buccs into decent teams. Historically that's pretty impressive! (fair enough Dungy takes some credit in Tampa Bay, but even still!)

"Some" credit? all I've ever heard about that team was that Dungy got them to the level they were at then Gruden came in and won the Super Bowl with them. Sure he added some offensive weapons to go along with that D but even his players and him thanked Dungy. Gruden publicly and graciously thanked Dungy for his contributions.

I think he did a good job with the Raiders but I don't make him out to be the next Bill Walsh, and I don't think he could save the Cowboys. Jeff Fisher is the coach that Jerry Jones wants.

Gruden made the Raiders and Buccs into decent teams. Historically that's pretty impressive! (fair enough Dungy takes some credit in Tampa Bay, but even still!)

"Some" credit? all I've ever heard about that team was that Dungy got them to the level they were at then Gruden came in and won the Super Bowl with them. Sure he added some offensive weapons to go along with that D but even his players and him thanked Dungy. Gruden publicly and graciously thanked Dungy for his contributions.

I think he did a good job with the Raiders but I don't make him out to be the next Bill Walsh, and I don't think he could save the Cowboys. Jeff Fisher is the coach that Jerry Jones wants.

I don't know that anyone is making Gruden out to be a genius, but he's done a decent enough job at a couple of franchises that don't find it easy to be good, won a superbowl and is available. I think if you offered most people a choice between Wade Phillips and Gruden, not many people would take much thinking time. (Though in fairness not sure how Gruden's personality would go down in Texas?)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Gruden, nor any football coach is a genius. All that they are doing is just rehashing what coaches before them did. Heck, the wildcat/wildwhatever formation is just a variation of the wing-t formation where the quarterback runs the ball. Does Gruden understand offense? Absolutely, does he understand how to manage a team and figure out talent on the defensive side of the ball? Absolutely not! Does he understand that you need a quality offensive line, and running backs to make a quarterback look good? Absolutely not. He understands throwing the ball to a reciever and that is all. He's narrow-minded and would make a great QB coach. That is all.

This really isn't surprising, Wade has failed everywhere he has head coached. The only reason he has had any amount of success here is because the team is better than the record shows.

The Bills haven't been good since he left. There was once a time where 8-8 was a bad season in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Lee hit it on the head. Bob Stoops.

Not to change topics, but if Stoops leaves OU I can see the Sooners falling off a cliff. Which doesn't help the crumbling Big 12.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Jason Garrett, Billick...I think Gruden and Cowher are both a stretch, but you never know since the position w/ Dallas is attractive.

Wade is reportedly out, Garrett promoted...

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't know about that. Sure, Dungy deserves a measure of credit for laying the groundwork, but Gruden actually sealed the deal. Not to mention that if Dungy deserves credit for Tampa getting to the Super Bowl, Gruden deserves credit for all the foundational work that got the Raiders to the same Super Bowl.

Jason Garrett, Billick...I think Gruden and Cowher are both a stretch, but you never know since the position w/ Dallas is attractive.

Wade is reportedly out, Garrett promoted...

Sounds like Garrett is in as interim.Sounds something of an extended trial for the guy that has been thought of as head coach in waiting. You might see Jones putting out some feelers on Jeff Fisher maybe, but seems like Garrett is at the head of the queue right now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Cowher and Gruden aren't leaving the comfort of tv, not to be Jerry's puppet, so you can scratch those two off Dallas' "wishlist".

Realistically, how about someone like Herman Edwards? He may not be the best coach out there, but he's got plenty of experience and has won in the playoffs. Herm would also bring discipline with him, and that's something Jerry definitely needs to address.

6uXNWAo.png

Jon Gruden will be back next year and so might Cowher.

Gruden misses coaching and I think the itch will overpower him. Cowher's wife dying I think will drive him back to the sideline to have something to fill his days again.

Cowher will not be Jerry's puppet but Gruden may be willing to work with him.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They are not going to Dallas. The Parcells experiment was enough to sour Jones on a real coach, and warn off anyone else with half a brain in their head to stay away from Dallas.

Garrett's success in the last half of the season determines whether he stays on or not.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Jon Gruden will be back next year and so might Cowher.

Gruden misses coaching and I think the itch will overpower him. Cowher's wife dying I think will drive him back to the sideline to have something to fill his days again.

Cowher will not be Jerry's puppet but Gruden may be willing to work with him.

I don't think either will be easy to persuade out of the TV studio. Although a few big jobs might be available, both have decent paychecks with a lot less hassle than coaching is. Especially with the worry over the CBA.

My own guess is that Garrett will do ok down the stretch and vlget the Cowboys job.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Apparently....Jerry Jones has been contacted by some Super Bowl winning coaches about the job. While Jones goes on to state that he hopes interim coach Garrett will earn a full promotion to head coach, here are some of the names of coaches that could have contacted Jones about the job...

Cowher, Gruden, Billick, Holmgren, Vermeil...there are a few others out there. Dungy has already stated he doesn't want the job.

My money is on Garrett promotion from interim to head coach outright.

Could super bowl winning coaches also count offensive and defensive coordinators on superbowl winning teams?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Could super bowl winning coaches also count offensive and defensive coordinators on superbowl winning teams?

The article I read stated "head coaches", but it wouldn't be far fetched to look at a few since Jones looked at Garrett in his own organization.

While most of the coaches listed aren't currently coaching, I could also see guys like Holmgren interested...even with his "sweet" deal in Cleveland, I could see him leaving...its the allure and history of the franchise...

Coaches keep leaving great positions all the time for "dream coaching jobs" in crappy situations...case and point Notre Dame.

The article I read stated "head coaches", but it wouldn't be far fetched to look at a few since Jones looked at Garrett in his own organization.

While most of the coaches listed aren't currently coaching, I could also see guys like Holmgren interested...even with his "sweet" deal in Cleveland, I could see him leaving...its the allure and history of the franchise...

Coaches keep leaving great positions all the time for "dream coaching jobs" in crappy situations...case and point Notre Dame.

Except they haven't. Urban Meyer used to call Notre Dame his dream job and flat out turned them down. Weis was a coordinator when he took the Notre Dame job. Willingham's Stanford teams were second tier major college squads at best. Kelly may have been winning a lot with Cincinnati his last two seasons, but please note how Cincy was frequently one of those schools projected to be left out in the cold during the college football realignment armageddon discussion-not desirable at all for a coach.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived