NFL Top 100 Players

wdm1219inpenna

peyton has 4 mvps vs. brady's 1in the patriots 3 sb wins, brady passed for 735 yards for 6td, hardly stunning.comparing brady with montana and elway is laughable

Ask Peyton if he would like to trade in those 4 MVPs for 2 more Super Bowl rings. And because Manning's Super Bowl stats are so much better, right? He only has to throw for 4 TDs in his next Super Bowl to be even... <_<

It is to me too, and he plays in Indianapolis. I know the ESPN Era has lead folks to place an increasingly large emphasis on the number of championships you have compared to anything else you may have done. (Making Robert Horry a basketball God :rolleyes: ) However, Manning has consistently been an elite quarterback in the NFL for more than a decade, and has helmed the lethal offense winningest NFL franchise of the 2000s decade. When teams draft QBs even now, they are not compared to Brady, but to Manning.Additionally, the thing about "other offensive talent" is that Manning has encountered his consistent success with a relative revolving door at the other skill positions, which strongly implies that the Colts' offensive success is based upon Manning making other players look good rather than other good players making Manning look awesome./Super Bowl XXXVI was more on the Rams :censored: ing up and the Patriots defense than anything Brady did.EDIT-*scans list again* Bob Waterfield really deserves to split that Norm Van Brocklin spot at #83

And Brady hasn't? He also QB'd the dynasty team of the 00's.

And you're telling me that Manning's cast of Harrison, Wayne, James, Clark, Pollard, etc is worse than Brady's cast of Deion Branch, Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown, and Jabar Gaffney? Umm, I don't think so...

Honestly people, what more does Brady have to accomplish? Does he have to win another Super Bowl? Does he have to throw for 40+ TDs the next 4 years?

Geez, I feel like I'm being crucified for believing that PM18 is a top 25 player of all-time, just not top-10.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pleasant surprise is Barry Sanders (my favorite all-time player) ahead of Emmit Smith. It's rare you see that, but I agree.

My homer complaint is that I feel Cris Carter could be there. He was arguably the second best WR of the 1990s, with seemingly a different mediocre QB every year.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Also, look at the Super Bowl statistics. In four Super Bowls, Tom Brady has thrown 7 TDs to only one INT, a QB rating of 94.5, and has led his team to TDS on drives to win the game in the last 5 minutes in each SB (the last one was canceled out by David Tyree voodoo). Manning on the other hand, 2 TDs/2 INTs, A QB rating of 85.4, and failed to lead his team on one game winning drive. Also, Manning's lone Super Bowl victory occured against one of the worst teams to ever make it to the Super Bowl.
But Manning still beat the Bears. Brady edged out a Super Bowl win over the Panthers (probably on the same level as the '07 Bears), and LOST one to a Wild Card team. And since we're at it, let's also throw in the fact that in all three of Tom Brady's Super Bowl wins were by three points each. I'll give him credit for putting together some late game-winning drives, but at the teams time, it kinda says that Brady wasn't capable of putting those any teams away during the first 58 minutes.

Peyton Manning being in the Top-10 over guys like Elway, Favre, and Brady is a sham.
Disagree. Peyton is certainly better than Favre or Brady. Probably better than Elway too, honestly.My big issue with the list is the inclusion of Joe Namath. He wasn't great... he wasn't even good. He had two years in which he threw more TD's than INT's. Two.
False. Let's look at Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady.Peyton has more career touchdowns, better QB rating, and more career passing yards, but he has also played 3 more years than Brady (including the '08 season that Brady missed with the knee injury). However, Brady has had higher career winning percentage and and has had a QB rating almost 10 points better than Manning over the last 4 years. But in the playoffs, Brady has the better record (14-4 to 9-9), a better TD-INT ratio (1.87-1.47), and Super Bowl rings (3-1). Also, look at the Super Bowl statistics. In four Super Bowls, Tom Brady has thrown 7 TDs to only one INT, a QB rating of 94.5, and has led his team to TDS on drives to win the game in the last 5 minutes in each SB (the last one was canceled out by David Tyree voodoo). Manning on the other hand, 2 TDs/2 INTs, A QB rating of 85.4, and failed to lead his team on one game winning drive. Also, Manning's lone Super Bowl victory occured against one of the worst teams to ever make it to the Super Bowl.There is a full article on it here if you want to read more. Peyton Manning belongs just above Dan Marino and Brett Favre on the all-time list, but behind the truly all-time greats of Montana, Elway, and Brady.One last thing, Peyton's numbers match up eerily similar to Steve Young's postseason numbers... the stats are in the link if you wish to see them.
Those are team accomplishments. Last I checked Peyton Manning didn't also play Free Safety or punt and kick for the Colts and, therefore, has absolutely nothing to do with how good his team plays defensively or on special teams -- aspects that make up over half of the game of football. Is it Manning's fault that, after driving his team down to the 22 yardline in a 3 point game, his kicker shanked the FG in the playoffs against the Steelers? Just as Tom Brady had zero control over Vinatieri nailing a 43 yarder in a blizzard. Brady had some of the best defenses in the league, and those carried the Patriots to those Super Bowls.

So Cujo says that it's Brady's fault for not putting opponents away sooner, yet See Red is playing the team card as a defense for Manning. Listen boys, lets not act like Brady was quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys circa 1993. Let's also not act like Peyton's Colts teams were a bunch of trash. The point is, Brady has consistently done more with less offensive talent than Manning has as well as come through when his team needed him, which is more than the Colts can say for Manning. The better quarterback is clear to me.

It is to me too, and he plays in Indianapolis. I know the ESPN Era has lead folks to place an increasingly large emphasis on the number of championships you have compared to anything else you may have done. (Making Robert Horry a basketball God :rolleyes: ) However, Manning has consistently been an elite quarterback in the NFL for more than a decade, and has helmed the lethal offense winningest NFL franchise of the 2000s decade. When teams draft QBs even now, they are not compared to Brady, but to Manning.

Additionally, the thing about "other offensive talent" is that Manning has encountered his consistent success with a relative revolving door at the other skill positions, which strongly implies that the Colts' offensive success is based upon Manning making other players look good rather than other good players making Manning look awesome.

/Super Bowl XXXVI was more on the Rams :censored: ing up and the Patriots defense than anything Brady did.

EDIT-*scans list again* Bob Waterfield really deserves to split that Norm Van Brocklin spot at #83

Just on SB XXXVI, I think your being hard on Brady, if for no other reason than that game winning drive was something to behold. Yes it wasn't a classic QB lead victory, but he showed the poise and determination that makes a great QB in that last 90 seconds.

That said as a player, I would probably take Manning over him.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That Jim Marshall, a man who played in 280 consecutive games for the Minnesota Vikings, on DEFENSE no less not making the top 100 is staggering to me. What really shocked me was the fact that during the "errors & omissions" part of the round table discussion, he STILL wasn't mentioned being left off!!! Can somebody please enlighten me on this?

That Jim Marshall, a man who played in 280 consecutive games for the Minnesota Vikings, on DEFENSE no less not making the top 100 is staggering to me. What really shocked me was the fact that during the "errors & omissions" part of the round table discussion, he STILL wasn't mentioned being left off!!! Can somebody please enlighten me on this?

We cannot because we did not cast a ballot. However, Peter King, Michael Lombardi, and Jarrett Bell can. Send King an email and you could make MMQB.

peyton has 4 mvps vs. brady's 1in the patriots 3 sb wins, brady passed for 735 yards for 6td, hardly stunning.comparing brady with montana and elway is laughable

Ask Peyton if he would like to trade in those 4 MVPs for 2 more Super Bowl rings. And because Manning's Super Bowl stats are so much better, right? He only has to throw for 4 TDs in his next Super Bowl to be even... <_<

It is to me too, and he plays in Indianapolis. I know the ESPN Era has lead folks to place an increasingly large emphasis on the number of championships you have compared to anything else you may have done. (Making Robert Horry a basketball God :rolleyes: ) However, Manning has consistently been an elite quarterback in the NFL for more than a decade, and has helmed the lethal offense winningest NFL franchise of the 2000s decade. When teams draft QBs even now, they are not compared to Brady, but to Manning.Additionally, the thing about "other offensive talent" is that Manning has encountered his consistent success with a relative revolving door at the other skill positions, which strongly implies that the Colts' offensive success is based upon Manning making other players look good rather than other good players making Manning look awesome./Super Bowl XXXVI was more on the Rams :censored: ing up and the Patriots defense than anything Brady did.EDIT-*scans list again* Bob Waterfield really deserves to split that Norm Van Brocklin spot at #83

And Brady hasn't? He also QB'd the dynasty team of the 00's.

And you're telling me that Manning's cast of Harrison, Wayne, James, Clark, Pollard, etc is worse than Brady's cast of Deion Branch, Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk, Troy Brown, and Jabar Gaffney? Umm, I don't think so...

Honestly people, what more does Brady have to accomplish? Does he have to win another Super Bowl? Does he have to throw for 40+ TDs the next 4 years?

Geez, I feel like I'm being crucified for believing that PM18 is a top 25 player of all-time, just not top-10.

Using your logic, Terry Bradshaw is the greatest quarterback of all time.

The difference between Manning and Brady is that Belechick makes Brady (and his teammates) look good, while Manning makes Manning (and his teammates) look good. The fact that Belichick and the Patriots have won without Brady skewed the argument in Manning's favor for many, many people (including myself).

Sigs are for sissies.

Soon as the list started I really thought it was 1. Jim Brown, 2. Jerry Rice.

But after watching the roundtable show their were so many valid points to as why Rice is the greatest. Dominated for a longer stretch of time, He dwarfs every WR that even dares to sniff Rice's records, In all honesty I don't think they'll ever be broken.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

My big issue with the list is the inclusion of Joe Namath. He wasn't great... he wasn't even good. He had two years in which he threw more TD's than INT's. Two.

I really wonder how Namath would be viewed if he lost Super Bowl III. It seems like that one game has made him a legend. Don't get me wrong, it was a great moment. The fact that he called it then delivered, is a great story in NFL history. However, all he really did was play his best game in the biggest game of his career. The rest of his career is very subpar. I never saw Namath play, but when he had the ball late in the game did you know you were in trouble like you are today when Manning and Brady have it? This is one of those lists that I hate, because stupid stuff like championships are way overrated in the rankings.

My big issue with the list is the inclusion of Joe Namath. He wasn't great... he wasn't even good. He had two years in which he threw more TD's than INT's. Two.

I really wonder how Namath would be viewed if he lost Super Bowl III. It seems like that one game has made him a legend. Don't get me wrong, it was a great moment. The fact that he called it then delivered, is a great story in NFL history. However, all he really did was play his best game in the biggest game of his career. The rest of his career is very subpar. I never saw Namath play, but when he had the ball late in the game did you know you were in trouble like you are today when Manning and Brady have it? This is one of those lists that I hate, because stupid stuff like championships are way overrated in the rankings.

Well, I can't say for sure. But, I remember watching a Jets game on TV when I was about 9 I guess. Namath was on the bench and the Jets were losing. (I think he was recovering from an injury) The Jets put him in and they scored three touchdowns in what seemed like no time at all. Honestly, I was too young to remember the opponent or the final outcome but watching what Namath did that afternoon 40 years ago has always stuck with me. There's something to be said for that I guess.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The sad thing is this may be true -- the best performance of his career may have been throwing for 200 yards and some change, no touchdowns, and no interceptions.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't know how you can say that Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning (unless you're a Michigan fan). I hate when people say this, but using the eyeball test, Manning is better. Any competent QB in the league could perform well with the Patriots. Just look at Matt Cassell in 08. Tom Brady's a good quarterback, but his super bowl record, win total, and even QB rating are all a product of playing under Bill Belichick's system. I honestly believe that if Drew Bledsoe had not been knocked out in 01 then he would've gone onto win those three super bowls.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Watching right now. Burt Reynolds was a panelist. Totally destroys the integrity of this list.

Why?

Ever see him on Celebrity Jeopardy?

:P

Just because the dude doesn't know anything about things like double letter geography or 18th century monarchs doesn't mean he shouldn't talk about football. Although you think he'd know a little about 18th century monarchs since he was there and all. :D

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• 4 months later...

I didn't agree with this list, especially with three players:

Jerry Rice at 1

Joe Montana at 4

Tom Brady at 21

For starters, Rice was not the best WR of all-time. Jerry padded his stats running slant patterns and other non-real pass routes against zone coverages and benefitting from illegal pick plays. In my opinion, Don Hutson and Lance Alworth were the two best to ever play.

Now, I will deal with the QB's that get too much credit for their team's success. That would be Montana and Brady. I would rank Joe maybe around 15-20, but Brady should be a lot lower than he is. Ahead of Elway and Marino? I don't think so.

Jim Brown should have been #1. No doubt in my mind.

I didn't agree with this list, especially with three players:

Jerry Rice at 1

Joe Montana at 4

Tom Brady at 21

For starters, Rice was not the best WR of all-time. Jerry padded his stats running slant patterns and other non-real pass routes against zone coverages and benefitting from illegal pick plays. In my opinion, Don Hutson and Lance Alworth were the two best to ever play.

Couldn't agree more on Hutson. Call me partisan, but I think he's the best to ever play the game.

It's tough to compare players across eras, so when you're looking for the best ever the only thing we can do is compare them to the people they played against. In Hutson's case, his stas compare favorably not only to other players of his era, they're better than some entire teams of his era.

In 1942 (in which he earned his second consecutive MVP), Hutson made more receptions than three teams: the Detroit Lions, New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles. In that same season, he scored 17 touchdowns, as many as the Pittsburgh Steelers' total and more than the Eagles, Brooklyn Dodgers, Chicago Cardinals and Detroit Lions. More, even, than the Cardinals and Lions combined.

Don Hutson lead the NFL in touchdowns eight times. No other player has been able to top the league more than three times (Lance Alworth, Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith each got 3).

All that, and he played both offense and defense.

Archived