Wild Card "Champions" logos

Anubis2051

I know a lot of people hate them, but there are plenty of logo's that say wild card "champions" out there, so heres a thread for these most questionable of logos.

I've also never seen the Rockies 1995 mural they had in the OF and would love to see that if anyone has pictures of it.

Anubis.png

A quick Google-izing comes up with other examples of the same idiocy:

2004 Houston Astros:

8519018-16.jpg

2008 Milwaukee Brewers:

3387652866_ef9878f13f_o.jpg

The original guffaw was the Rockies' "wild card champions" of the 1995 season. I found some articles mentioning it but no photos. They don't have it up anymore, from what I can tell.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I don't mind the "wild card champions." I don't mind teams that stick a flag or sign up for it (the Braves' playoff run looks all the more impressive in left field). But why in the world is the Astros' flag a "Division SERIES champions" flag? That's the first I've seen of that. First off, there are two Division Series in each league, so that isn't even accurate. I look forward to the first NBA "first-round champions" flag.

Even the Cubs, who hadn't won a playoff series since 1908 when they won an NLDS in 2003 didn't try to capitalize in that way. And they try to merchandise everything. Of course, they also won the division. But I'd celebrate the wild card over the DS. It's one of four spots in each league's playoffs, and the other three are division champs. What would you have them do, put up a green "Playoff Participant" ribbon?

I don't mind the "wild card champions." I don't mind teams that stick a flag or sign up for it (the Braves' playoff run looks all the more impressive in left field). But why in the world is the Astros' flag a "Division SERIES champions" flag? That's the first I've seen of that. First off, there are two Division Series in each league, so that isn't even accurate. I look forward to the first NBA "first-round champions" flag.

Even the Cubs, who hadn't won a playoff series since 1908 when they won an NLDS in 2003 didn't try to capitalize in that way. And they try to merchandise everything. Of course, they also won the division. But I'd celebrate the wild card over the DS. It's one of four spots in each league's playoffs, and the other three are division champs. What would you have them do, put up a green "Playoff Participant" ribbon?

My first thought too. There's no championship associated with that. While I find the Wild Card Champions banner a little unecessary, that team should celebrate making the playoffs and did have to have a better record than 10 or 12 other teams to do it. But winning the Division Series round? No thanks. Celebrate something when you're the only one who does it.

Though as a Hornets fan, I'm thinking of petitioning the team to put up "5-Time Conference Semifinals Runner-Up" banners. Just for kicks.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I understand you want to take pride and recognize your teams success, but come on. Wildcard champs?! :therock:

It's like when the end of the season picnic for youth league sports and they hand out everyone a trophy for participating. If they won a division series, then maybe a banner.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

For many franchises, making the playoffs is a big deal. Baseball is the only sport where that is so (though that'll end in a couple years).

I don't have issue with putting a wild car banner up. For me it's the word "Champions". Just say "2004 Wild Card." There is no "Wild Card Champion".

I agree with "division series champions." I don't think you can be champs of that either, and putting up a banner for winning a series that does not make you league or world series champs seems weird.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Mets did have NLDS winners on one of their banners I guess. Just because there are two NLDS winners doesn't make them any less champions, since baseball resorts to everything being a series. I think because all of the teams compete in the same league for the Wild Card, it's essentially a pennant within a pennant race and it doesn't seem all that strange to claim a championship. When there are two wild cards, I think then it's a true wild card as in other sports and there'd be no real need to claim a wild card pennant of sorts though you can be sure teams will do it because it's still baseball and it's still harder than in any other major sport to get into the postseason.

I think on the division series champions, baseball has been good about not releasing merch with division series champs on it, rather just having MLB Playoffs gear and saving the champions stuff for league and world series winners.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

"Wild Card Champions" is stupid because there is no such thing. You can't be a champion of something that requires you falling short of the top in order to "win". It's a consolation prize for the best team that couldn't win its division - so it's like a prize for losing, but still being good. That completely defys the definition of "champion". It's like tournaments when the two teams who lose the semi-finals play each other to determine which team finishes in third place - does that team then become the "third place champion?"

Wild Card Winner, Wild Card, etc. is fine for a flag - but Champion? That's simply stupid, and I can't really see the other side of this one.

Off topic - does anyone else hate the term "wild card"? Can't they come up with anything better?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Wild Card Champions" is stupid because there is no such thing. You can't be a champion of something that requires you falling short of the top in order to "win". It's a consolation prize for the best team that couldn't win its division - so it's like a prize for losing, but still being good. That completely defys the definition of "champion". It's like tournaments when the two teams who lose the semi-finals play each other to determine which team finishes in third place - does that team then become the "third place champion?"

Wild Card Winner, Wild Card, etc. is fine for a flag - but Champion? That's simply stupid, and I can't really see the other side of this one.

Off topic - does anyone else hate the term "wild card"? Can't they come up with anything better?

exactly right. it's the term "champion" that's the problem, not the banner itself. i actually enjoy the fact that the mets have "1999 Wild Card and LDS Winner" on their outfield wall, because when i think of 1999, i think of a team that pushed the braves to the limit in the NLCS, not simply a runner up season. in baseball, winning a playoff round and being a finalist for your league's pennant IS an accomplishment. just...you're not a champion of anything.

BringBacktheVet, i've honestly never thought of the merits of naming it "wild card" since the NFL kind of engrained that into me before MLB did. but...now that you say it...it's a good question. but off the top of my head, i'm not coming up with anything better haha. so maybe that's why. they just chose not to reinvent the wheel.

sig2024.png

You can credit the Astros "Wild Card Champion" signage to the owner, Drayton McLane. Actually, you can credit BOTH signs ('04/'05 back-to-back WC Champs baby!!) to Uncle Drayton. He has an obsession with the word "champion" and has no fear of overusing the term. He insisted on this wording being used and is known to constantly ask his employees, "what have you done to be a champion, today?".

I can't stand the turd.

I rather like "Wild Card" as a name. It denotes a certain amount of whimsy and seat-of-your-pantsness, which is fitting for the final floating playoff spot.

What would you have in mind for its replacement?

I can't think of anything else - but if we weren't so used to the term thanks to the NFL, would anyone really name it that? I understand why they thought to call it that, it just sounds kind of a silly title for something that (at least in baseball) is a pretty nice accomplishment.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I rather like "Wild Card" as a name. It denotes a certain amount of whimsy and seat-of-your-pantsness, which is fitting for the final floating playoff spot.

What would you have in mind for its replacement?

I can't think of anything else - but if we weren't so used to the term thanks to the NFL, would anyone really name it that? I understand why they thought to call it that, it just sounds kind of a silly title for something that (at least in baseball) is a pretty nice accomplishment.

Agreed, though I'm not sure if it wouldn't have been "Wild Card" even if the NFL didn't come first. I know that's pure speculation, since NFL has used the term wild card since when, 1970? My point is, someone thought to come up with it then. If the NFL didn't exist, can we say for sure MLB doesn't adopt the name anyway in 1995? Keep in mind, I have no idea, maybe MLB would have used Playoff Participant and we could have gagged to death. Just saying, sure, it's entrenched because of the NFL, but we may have gotten there anyway.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

So if you are the wild card "champion" does that mean you were excluded from playing for the division championship? Or you didn't try to win it?

I don't mind a pennant like Milwaukee's stating wild card.

That's a good representation of making the playoffs.

I do dislike NLDS winner on the Mets wall.

Winning a playoff round merits a banner (or banner mention)?

The Astros "division series champion" ranks right up there with the Billy Joel banners as the dumbest I have ever seen.

Following that would be any NHL "regular season champions or ________ conference regular season champion" banner.

sig-1.png

Archived