2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Billy B

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more time, let me ask BYU:

Was it worth it...in the end?

You're asking Mormons here, so you're going to get an affirmative out of them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Jimmer Fredette = Adam Morrison?

Yeah, I'd say that's a fair comparison.

Jimmer is probably closer to a poor man's JJ Redick. And Morrison wasn't bad, I think his problem was he went from the Bobcats to the Lakers. And two rings notwithstanding for hanging out, he essentially didn't play for 2 years. Then the Wizards dropped him. So I dunno, if he'd actually gotten some PT he might have been at least serviceable. I don't see Jimmer really making much of an NBA impact, but again, on the right squad...anything is possible.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I'm not saying it was the only thing that did SDSU in (forcing threes in the final minutes when the team isn't making them was pretty dumb), but that call was a glaring reason why they lost.

They shot 27-64 from the field, shot 7-22 from 3, and still have Steve Fisher as head coach. Fisher lost the game, like he has lost important games in the last 20 years as he can get out-coached by the man on the other bench. Happens for the last two decades.

They also got two TECHs and were 6-13at the line while UConn was 12-16.

Are you also going to blame CBS/Turner for having that game so early on the West Coast with an "area team" thus there were empty seats in the first half?

They shot 27-64 from the field, shot 7-22 from 3

Jesus Christ, I didn't see that it was that bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

One more time, let me ask BYU:

Was it worth it...in the end?

Sure.

1-Jemmer gave them a national stage for their university and the LDS Church. Interest and applications may increase from that. Twenty-five years ago it was considered, "The Flutie Effect". They got more money in donations and merchandise sales from this run as well

2- Their loss tonight will give slightly less money to the Mountain West, the conference which they are not leaving after this academic year. From the linked story:

After both teams advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, the MWC will earn more revenue from this year?s tournament than any previous year?s tournament -- at least $1.7 million per year to share with its members over the next six years ($10 million combined). Each tournament game a team plays ? excluding the championship ? is worth at least $240,000 annually for that team?s league over a rolling six-year period, according to the NCAA?s distribution formula. With at least seven tournament games this year, the MWC will receive at least $1.7 million from this year?s bracket from 2011 through 2016.

The NCAA money comes from television and other sources, with the value of each game expected to grow annually. It?s a relative windfall for the MWC. On the other hand, it?s still a fraction of the money earned by the six power conferences in college sports.

Consider that Mountain West teams previously never played in more than six games in one tournament. In the six years from 2005 to 2010, they also played in only 21 combined NCAA Tournament games-- totaling about $5 million to be shared this year among nine league members (21 times $240,000).

By comparison, the Big East had 109 tournament games from 2005 to 2010 (excluding the championship), which is worth $26 million this year. Of the $180.5 million in Division I basketball funds to be distributed this year, 63 percent goes to the six power conferences: the Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, Southeastern and Atlantic Coast. The other 25 leagues in Division I get the remaining 37 percent because they played in only 37 percent of the tournament games. From 2006 to 2010, the Big East will have distributed a combined $86.7 million in basketball fund money, compared to $18.4 for the MWC.

Even though his college career is over, can I still say that ridiculously deep threes were from "Jimmer Depth?"

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Gators won! Now we won't have to deal with the other nauseatingly-overhyped player in college basketball this year, Jimmer Fredette, whose best-case scenario as a pro will be in a JJ Reddick role. Not exactly lottery pick material there, but some team (probably the Jazz) will waste their lottery pick on him due to the hype.

See....it's crap like this that makes you the low-quality poster that you are.

Who gives a fvck what kind of NBA player Fredette's going to be when he's playing in a college tournament? Like Kellen Moore, Fredette collects most of his gaudy stats against teams that are a collection of stiffs.

Watch the college game for what it is. Why take away from a player just because he might not pan out at the pro level? That's just fvckin' stupid.

Even though his college career is over, can I still say that ridiculously deep threes were from "Jimmer Depth?"

Similar to the "KOBE!" fadeaway jumper, when I play basketball and I pull up for an unnecessary deep 3, I yell "JIMMER!"

I think in the NBA Jimmer Fredette will at least be as good as Kyle Korver.

I could easily see him doing something like that for many years, sorta like Peja, who was more diverse. However, both those guys have insanely quick releases. Jimmer is all legs, and spends a lot of time setting up. He's deadly, but he cant come off screens like Korver or Ray Allen

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Whatever you say, dude. I will say this, however: your arsenal of a couple boring, repetitive (and usually somehow Boise State-related) attacks on me isn't exactly the height of quality either.

Who gives a fvck what kind of NBA player Fredette's going to be when he's playing in a college tournament? [...] Why take away from a player just because he might not pan out at the pro level? That's just fvckin' stupid.

Uh... why do you think people play or watch college sports? The athletes want to showcase their skills and parlay that into a big pro contract, and the fans, aside from supporting their alma mater or favorite school, want to see future greats before they go pro. It's disingenuous to suggest that pro sports has little or nothing to do with college sports.

And besides that, what's wrong with speculating how somebody might do in the pros? It's not like we won't be seeing Jimmer in the NBA next season, so there's grounds to make a prediction.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think in the NBA Jimmer Fredette will at least be as good as Kyle Korver.

Jemmer is listed at 6'2" before going to pre-draft camps for a true measurement. Korver is 6'7".

Umm, Korver was drafted 51st by the Nets. Do you think that Jemmer will be drafted in the 2nd Round?

Gators won! Now we won't have to deal with the other nauseatingly-overhyped player in college basketball this year, Jimmer Fredette, whose best-case scenario as a pro will be in a JJ Reddick role. Not exactly lottery pick material there, but some team (probably the Jazz) will waste their lottery pick on him due to the hype.

Who gives a fvck what kind of NBA player Fredette's going to be when he's playing in a college tournament? Like Kellen Moore, Fredette collects most of his gaudy stats against teams that are a collection of stiffs.

Watch the college game for what it is. Why take away from a player just because he might not pan out at the pro level? That's just fvckin' stupid.

Exactly. Let him be good at this level and not worry about the NBA. Heck, there could be a lockout he he plays in Italy or Spain just because he could.

There was the same issues about Psycho-T two years ago this week and now given an NBA season plus, Tyler ain't bad.

I wish Wisconsin had lost that K-State game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

THIS is the Wisconsin team that ALWAYS shows up in March. The Badgers win a tournemant game or two, then crap in the bed. Bo Ryan never disappoints.

Butler advances to the Elite Eight.

6uXNWAo.png

Uh... why do you think people play or watch college sports? The athletes want to showcase their skills and parlay that into a big pro contract, and the fans, aside from supporting their alma mater or favorite school, want to see future greats before they go pro. It's disingenuous to argue that pro sports has nothing to do with college sports.

I'll answer your question with two questions.

1. Do you think Jimmer Fredette was worried about his stock as a "future pro" in tonight's game vs. Florida?

2. When you watch a Boise State football game, you care more about Kellen Moore's prospects at being an NFL QB moreso than how he performs in that game?

Archived