2010 MLB Award Central

Punch

Discuss all MLB award-related content here.

First topic: Derek Jeter. Did he win simply because he is from New York? Who else deserves the award?

When you are popular, arguably one of the best players in Major League Baseball history, and a New York Yankee, YOU WIN THE GOLD GLOVE AUTOMATICALLY. When major sports networks drool over you, YOU WIN THE GOLD GLOVE AUTOMATICALLY. When your last name is Jeter, YOU WIN THE GOLD GLOVE AUTOMATICALLY. Until another Johnny McSuperstar comes along OR Jeter retires, Jeter is winning the Gold Glove award.

But that's just my take. What's your outlook on all of the 2010 MLB awards? Predictions?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always assumed the Gold Glove was yours until you retired, and then it was passed on to the next holder.

Is this not actually so?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The biggest news to me is Ichiro winning his TENTH gold glove. I don't think the guy gets enough credit - granted, he does get a good amount, but in my opinion, he's just as dominant a player in this era as Albert Pujols. Along with his many great hitting accomplishments, TEN gold gloves is remarkable for a career. Some may call me crazy, but he's a hall of famer in my mind. I was already starting to think so, but after this tenth win, I'm completely convinced.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Utley not winning is kind of a joke, as he's been the best defensive infielder for... a long time, and was just as good this year as he usually is. Rolen over Zimmerman is another real head scratcher. Gonzalez is a really weird one, as he wasn't very good at all this year, but hey, he it a lot, so what the :censored: ever.

Alexei Ramirez deserved the gold glove over Jeter. How could anybody argue that Jeter deserved the award? You could say others as well could have won it, like Elvis Andrus. These awards are as much of a joke as voting for the All-Star Game and I don't see a solution to either, 1 is based on fan voting and the other is managers/coaches and they both get it wrong a majority of the time.

The biggest news to me is Ichiro winning his TENTH gold glove. I don't think the guy gets enough credit - granted, he does get a good amount, but in my opinion, he's just as dominant a player in this era as Albert Pujols. Along with his many great hitting accomplishments, TEN gold gloves is remarkable for a career. Some may call me crazy, but he's a hall of famer in my mind. I was already starting to think so, but after this tenth win, I'm completely convinced.

Gold gloves matter not for Ichiro, he has gotten 200 or more hits in 10 straight seasons he is amazing. When he is done I bet he will have more hits than Rose when you add his Japan Stats. He will be the first Japanese player in the Hall and it will be a first ballot.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Utley not winning is kind of a joke, as he's been the best defensive infielder for... a long time, and was just as good this year as he usually is. Rolen over Zimmerman is another real head scratcher. Gonzalez is a really weird one, as he wasn't very good at all this year, but hey, he it a lot, so what the :censored: ever.

I'm not sure that Chase Utley has ever been considered a great defensive infielder. In fact, that was one of the biggest things preventing him from being called up from the minors. He's worked at it and certainly has improved to the point where he's not a liability, but I really don't think that he's much (if at all) above average, let alone the "best" at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Gold Glove is just a popularity contest and I quit taking it seriously a long time ago. Jeter winning 5 of those things is just a joke.

I'm in the same boat. Popularity contest is a great way to put it.

No, that's a great way to put the All-Star starters. The Gold Glove is like a Web Gem count.

I'm not sure that Chase Utley has ever been considered a great defensive infielder. In fact, that was one of the biggest things preventing him from being called up from the minors. He's worked at it and certainly has improved to the point where he's not a liability, but I really don't think that he's much (if at all) above average, let alone the "best" at all.

Somebody should tell Bill James and The Fielding Bible, then.

Second Base – Chase Utley, Philadelphia

Finally! After being atop the three-year Runs Saved leader board in each of the last four years, Chase Utley wins his first Fielding Bible Award in 2010. Utley has saved 60 runs with his defense for the Phillies in the last three years. Far behind him are Mark Ellis (33), Dustin Pedroia (30) and Aaron Hill (26). In the voting, Orlando Hudson gave Chase a run for his money, falling just six points short (80 points compared to 86 for Utley). Hudson did have three more runs saved than Utley in 2010 (17 to 14), but Chase’s consistency over many years was rewarded by the voters. Now the question is, can Utley win his first Gold Glove award?

Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo. Nice Jobs, Reds. Now Joey Votto will get the MVP and this will be the best awards season for Cincinnati in a long time. Still, would've gladly taken a playoff win over all this.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Somebody should tell Bill James and The Fielding Bible, then.

Second Base ? Chase Utley, Philadelphia

Finally! After being atop the three-year Runs Saved leader board in each of the last four years, Chase Utley wins his first Fielding Bible Award in 2010. Utley has saved 60 runs with his defense for the Phillies in the last three years. Far behind him are Mark Ellis (33), Dustin Pedroia (30) and Aaron Hill (26). In the voting, Orlando Hudson gave Chase a run for his money, falling just six points short (80 points compared to 86 for Utley). Hudson did have three more runs saved than Utley in 2010 (17 to 14), but Chase?s consistency over many years was rewarded by the voters. Now the question is, can Utley win his first Gold Glove award?

I don't know who Bill James is, or what those numbers mean, but I watch Utley nearly every game, and can tell you that he's nothing more than an adequate second baseman (and far below adequate late in the year and in the playoffs, as the last three years have shown.) I'm not saying he's a total hack (except in the playoffs when he can't throw to first base) but he's not amazing either. I know that hometown people are generally more critical of "their" players than the rest of the country is (except in St. Louis where all of their players (and fans) are the best at everything in the world) but I hardly think that my opinion on this is unique.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived