NFL playoffs

GriffinM6

I tell you what though, in another case of head vs. heart, a large part of me is freaking scared of the Jets. When I think about it I can't see the Pats losing, but I can't lose the image of another game like the Browns game where the Pats suck and you know the Jets will be giving it their absolute best after 45-3. I'm trying to stay calm, but all the dominoes are lined up here for a total catastrophe. Thankfully, I know Bill Belichick isn't letting anything get into his head and I know he'll have the troops raring to go.

You're just weird.

Great point. Anything else to add about the NFL playoffs? :rolleyes:

Well, I was going to post something about dominoes being lined up for total catastrophe, how I'm really scared but trying to stay calm, and how my head is fighting my heart over a football game but you beat me to it.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another year, another disappointment. 50 years and counting... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Amen. The Eagles truly are the Chargers of the NFC... no shortage of talent, but it's all being squandered by dumbass coaches.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't see the Eagles as having "Super Bowl" talent this season. I think they went about as far (a little further even) as their talent could take them. Vick's "electric" play all season and the comeback against the Giants may have made the Eagles seem a little better than they really were. That's not saying the Eagles weren't good, they just didn't look Super Bowl caliber good in my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm glad you aren't too upset about the loss BlueSky. While free cookies are awesome, I remember how much s*** I heard after the Patriots lost Super Bowl XLII. Granted, they blew their shot at perfection, but we had won previous titles, and had technically broken the 1972 Miami Dolphins' mark of 17-0, but it still sucked. Thankfully, it wasn't a blowout, which would've been worse, but it still was disappointing.

I think every team though has had it's collective heart ripped out at least once, though I know teams like the Bengals, Bills, Chargers, Eagles, and Vikings have happened more infamously than other teams.

With the being said, I'm picking the Patriots, Steelers, Falcons, and Seahawks to all move on. Though I hope the Packers can pull it out against the Falcons, I'm predicting it'll be the first overtime game with the new rules.

By the way, I'm sure someone on these forums would know... but has any sub-.500 team made it to the championship game/round in the Big 5, (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, and CFL) before?

Another year, another disappointment. 50 years and counting... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Amen. The Eagles truly are the Chargers of the NFC... no shortage of talent, but it's all being squandered by dumbass coaches.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't see the Eagles as having "Super Bowl" talent this season. I think they went about as far (a little further even) as their talent could take them. Vick's "electric" play all season and the comeback against the Giants may have made the Eagles seem a little better than they really were. That's not saying the Eagles weren't good, they just didn't look Super Bowl caliber good in my opinion.

Weren't the Eagles supposed to miss the playoffs, going through a transitional year or something to that extent? That and all the talk about the Cowboys playing at home in the Super Bowl?

I saw, I came, I left.

This just in: Roger Goodell has announced that the referee for Super Bowl XLV will be Bill Leavy... after he has Lasik surgery, and yet in a moment of priceless incompetence Bill will ask Roger if Ben Roethlisberger needs to break the plane of the goal-line for it to be considered a touchdown.

Weren't the Eagles supposed to miss the playoffs, going through a transitional year or something to that extent? That and all the talk about the Cowboys playing at home in the Super Bowl?

I don't know if they were "supposed' to miss the playoffs - predictions for this team ranged anywhere from 6-10 to 12-4. It was really a strange year, going in to the season with a hyped QB who could have been great or could have been horrible. Of course we all know how that worked out (for the record, I still want to stick with Kolb because I can't bank my entire future on a guy who's on strike 2 and could just be gone at any time - if you promise me 4 more years of him working hard and being a good citizen, then yeah - you can't pass him up.) It really sucks that Kolb didn't get a real chance - though in hindsight it's impossible to argue with the decision to go with Vick. I think Kolb will be very good somewhere... and I hope he gets that chance.

Also, they had an extremely suspect defense, that actually played better than expected, despite sucking. So no - I don't think the Eagles had Super Bowl talent this year, nor do I think that any rational person did. Bring in a new right guard or tackle, a shut-down corner to play opposite Samuel, a DE to rotate with Juqua Parker (hopefully Brandon Graham comes back from his ACL and does well), and a better linebacking corp, and we're talking. Unfortunately... that's certainly not realistic to accomplish in one offseason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know if they were "supposed' to miss the playoffs - predictions for this team ranged anywhere from 6-10 to 12-4. It was really a strange year, going in to the season with a hyped QB who could have been great or could have been horrible. Of course we all know how that worked out (for the record, I still want to stick with Kolb because I can't bank my entire future on a guy who's on strike 2 and could just be gone at any time - if you promise me 4 more years of him working hard and being a good citizen, then yeah - you can't pass him up.) It really sucks that Kolb didn't get a real chance - though in hindsight it's impossible to argue with the decision to go with Vick. I think Kolb will be very good somewhere... and I hope he gets that chance.

Also, they had an extremely suspect defense, that actually played better than expected, despite sucking. So no - I don't think the Eagles had Super Bowl talent this year, nor do I think that any rational person did. Bring in a new right guard or tackle, a shut-down corner to play opposite Samuel, a DE to rotate with Juqua Parker (hopefully Brandon Graham comes back from his ACL and does well), and a better linebacking corp, and we're talking. Unfortunately... that's certainly not realistic to accomplish in one offseason.

Wouldn't you expect, BBTV, that Kevin Kolb would be a lock somewhere in the NFC West realistically? I mean, Arizona seems to not have a quarterback to speak of... although they drafted Hall and Skelton this is a win-now league, so better to go with someone more polished. San Francisco is in the same boat, but more talent and maybe a chance to work with Jim Harbaugh could help him even more in the long run. Not to mention, we don't know if Hasselbeck will be back in Seattle for sure, and I doubt Whitehurst is the long-term solution.

By the way, being an Eagles fan, do you believe that if Mornhinweg goes, that either quarterback who is kept might revert back to their old habits or start to struggle?

I have no idea where he'd go. It could be almost anywhere. Or nowhere. I don't think it's a lock that he's gone. He'll be rightfully pissed, but that's just how they do things some times. Vick was pissed when they didn't trade him despite getting some (albeit unflattering) offers, so this wouldn't be a shock.

Andy Reid ate is the Eagles offense. I could be the OC and it would have no effect. He called all the plays up until a few years ago, and still calls a lot of them (including entire games where he calls all of them.) His OCs really just help with the gameplanning and help out the position coaches. Why Brad Childress was considered a head coaching candidate is beyond me. Maybe Marty is a good QB coach - that still isn't OC.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have no idea where he'd go. It could be almost anywhere. Or nowhere. I don't think it's a lock that he's gone. He'll be rightfully pissed, but that's just how they do things some times. Vick was pissed when they didn't trade him despite getting some (albeit unflattering) offers, so this wouldn't be a shock.

Andy Reid ate is the Eagles offense. I could be the OC and it would have no effect. He called all the plays up until a few years ago, and still calls a lot of them (including entire games where he calls all of them.) His OCs really just help with the gameplanning and help out the position coaches. Why Brad Childress was considered a head coaching candidate is beyond me. Maybe Marty is a good QB coach - that still isn't OC.

Yeah, I never thought Childress was head-coaching material, he always seemed like his main job was to get Andy, Coffee and/or Cheesesteaks, but I keep hearing that Mornhinweg is a top coaching prospect for the Browns... whatever that means.

Yeah, I never thought Childress was head-coaching material, he always seemed like his main job was to get Andy, Coffee and/or Cheesesteaks, but I keep hearing that Mornhinweg is a top coaching prospect for the Browns... whatever that means.

Both parts of this are true, with the caveat that he also had to get Reid donuts and Tastycakes.

As for Mornhingweg, he has history with Holmgren and Heckert in Cleveland, so his name is rather obvious to at least be mentioned as a contender for that job.

I will never understand though how just because someone can game plan, or design a scheme that isolates a linebacker, or helps a QB improve from average into a star, that person is automatically thought of as a head coaching candidate, when being a head coach requires exactly none of those skills.

Marshawn Lynch's run left Qwest Field rocking...literally.

===

When he saw a homemade video shot from the upper deck of Qwest Field following Marshawn Lynch's 67-yard touchdown run late in the fourth quarter that clinched the Seahawks 41-36 upset, Vidale, the director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, became a bit intrigued. "It was pretty striking how everyone was shaking," Vidale said on Monday. The crazed reaction from the fans wasn't surprising considering what Lynch had just accomplished, shedding a half-dozen or so broken tackles on his way to the longest touchdown run of his career that gave Seattle a 41-30 lead with 3:22 left.

Turns out, Lynch's TD shook Qwest Field and the ground around the stadium - literally. Vidale said a seismic monitoring station located about 100 yards west of the stadium registered seismic activity during Lynch's run. The shaking was most intense during a 30-second stretch about the time Lynch broke free from the line of scrimmage, finished off his touchdown and celebrated in the end zone with his teammates.

After that, Vidale said, the shaking died down, but it took about a minute for the shaking to completely fade away.

===

:shocked: :shocked:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Both parts of this are true, with the caveat that he also had to get Reid donuts and Tastycakes.

As for Mornhingweg, he has history with Holmgren and Heckert in Cleveland, so his name is rather obvious to at least be mentioned as a contender for that job.

I will never understand though how just because someone can game plan, or design a scheme that isolates a linebacker, or helps a QB improve from average into a star, that person is automatically thought of as a head coaching candidate, when being a head coach requires exactly none of those skills.

Hasn't Mornhingweg already proven he couldn't be a head coach by taking the wind in overtime? Seriously. He took the fvcking WIND instead of the BALL in an overtime game. THE WIND!

/I've totally gotten over that though. :P

The 1970 Bullets came close... they were 42-40. I can't think of any sub-.500 teams to make it to the title game, though.

In 1938 the Blackhawks finished the season with a 14-25 record and ended up winning the Stanley Cup. But six out of eight teams made the playoffs, so it's not that much of a surprise that an under-.500 team made it that far.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

By the way, I'm sure someone on these forums would know... but has any sub-.500 team made it to the championship game/round in the Big 5, (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, and CFL) before?

Wait, what?

Yeah, this guy is wayyyy off. It's the Big 4 ... NFL, MLB, NBA, College Football. :D

6uXNWAo.png

Archived