NFL playoffs

GriffinM6

By the way, I'm sure someone on these forums would know... but has any sub-.500 team made it to the championship game/round in the Big 5, (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, and CFL) before?

Wait, what?

Yeah, this guy is wayyyy off. It's the Big 4 ... NFL, MLB, NBA, College Football. :D

To you perhaps, but when it comes to sports those are the leagues I follow, with baseball a distant fifth to the other four. I included the CFL, because I wondered if there was a sub-.500 team that was a Grey Cup Champion.

Thanks though, Billy.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday Schedule:GB vs.ATL at 4:30 EST, BAL vs.PIT at 8:00 EST.

Nope, it's the opposite, Ravens-Steelers is the early game and Packers-Pigeons is the prime-timer.

Edit: Sports radio is talking here in Atlanta about their fear the Falcons might be playing "on the road" Saturday because so many reasonably priced tickets are available. Just confirmed it, there are tickets for $85 to $100 on StubHub and the Georgia Dome is in fact where:

1) I saw the Falcons booed during intros in their own stadium in 2001 because so many more Saints fans were in the building and

2) Alge Crumpler once called a home victory over Pittsburgh "our best road win in awhile" because so many Steelers fans were there.

Here's to seeing many, many cheeseheads on Saturday!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Nope, it's the opposite, Ravens-Steelers is the early game and Packers-Pigeons is the prime-timer.

Edit: Sports radio is talking here in Atlanta about their fear the Falcons might be playing "on the road" Saturday because so many reasonably priced tickets are available. Just confirmed it, there are tickets for $85 to $100 on StubHub and the Georgia Dome is in fact where:

1) I saw the Falcons booed during intros in their own stadium in 2001 because so many more Saints fans were in the building and

2) Alge Crumpler once called a home victory over Pittsburgh "our best road win in awhile" because so many Steelers fans were there.

Wonderful, hopefully the Packers will continue their run on Saturday night, and then beat the Bears in the NFC Championship Game... that would be too perfect.

By the way, since so many people here root for the Falcons or live in and around the Atlanta area. I do have a pair of questions regarding the Georgia Dome. First, they never show the upper bowl of the Georgia Dome during their games, so is that just because the Falcons can't sell out their games, or is that where their rivals usually sit? Secondly, I now hear rumors that the Falcons are looking for a new stadium... is the dome that much of a dump and/or outdated?

Wonderful, hopefully the Packers will continue their run on Saturday night, and then beat the Bears in the NFC Championship Game... that would be too perfect.

By the way, since so many people here root for the Falcons or live in and around the Atlanta area. I do have a pair of questions regarding the Georgia Dome. First, they never show the upper bowl of the Georgia Dome during their games, so is that just because the Falcons can't sell out their games, or is that where their rivals usually sit? Secondly, I now hear rumors that the Falcons are looking for a new stadium... is the dome that much of a dump and/or outdated?

I saw the upper deck several times on the Saints-Falcons MNF broadcast a few weeks ago (I was at the game but DVR'd it) so I'm not sure where that're coming from. They do usually sell out (though not entirely with Falcons fans) and I have to give owner Arthur Blank a lot of credit. As I said in my previous post, it was surreal in 2001 to see the Falcons come to the line on third down in their own stadium and hear chants of "De-fense! De-fense!"

That was under the old ownership and when Blank took over, he asked the players what he could do immediately to help them win and the most popular response was "fill the dome with Falcons fans." So the first year or two they offered season tickets for a hundred bucks! And the dome was full of Falcons fans, though they did increase the prices over time.

Sadly though, Atlanta sports fans are fickle and fly the coop in a hurry when things don't go well, and sometimes even when they do. Do other cities have trouble selling out baseball playoffs? Atlanta has. And the fans are famously late, too. As recent as the Saints MNF game, sports radio here was urging fans to arrive by the start of the game so as to maximize the home field advantage. If you can ever call it that...I shot this after the Saints 2009 victory here in Atlanta:

As for the new stadium, they've been making noise about that for a while and I'm not really sure what the issue is, especially since the Georgia Dome just underwent a massive makeover. It's a nice facility though not as good as those dedicated to football only. It's a multi-use building like the Superdome and most if not all such places are multi-million dollar examples of the saying "jack of all trades, master of none."

In time for Sunday's grudge match, the NY Post has blessed us with their latest masterpiece....

yyrw.jpg

Not sure what's funnier, "Rex Solo" or Namath as Yoda. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wes Welker Press Conference

Well done sir. Well done indeed

Looks like Wes took the bait. And here I thought the Pats were above all that this time around...

It's not like he put his foot in his mouth.

Wes Welker Press Conference

Well done sir. Well done indeed

Looks like Wes took the bait. And here I thought the Pats were above all that this time around...

It's not like he put his foot in his mouth.

... it was his wife's foot... right?

I saw, I came, I left.

162746_490162097513_190052487513_6176779_74409_n.jpg

I don't know who gets credit for this, but sadly it's not me.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ok, this thing between the Jets and Patriots is starting to get out of hand....

Bart Scott says Welker's days in a uniform are numbered

He's right, they are. Welkah turns 30 this off season. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived