NFL playoffs

GriffinM6

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Simmons on twitter:

I have a new nickname for Matt Ryan: "Matt."

Yeah, the "Matty Ice" nickname is on probation.

Using an average of his total turnovers (6) over two playoff games, may I suggest Matty Thrice? :P

More on the Packers' nuking of Atlanta and the Steelers ravings later.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Steeler fans are the NFL's rich kids. Everything is given to them without actually having to go through any work or suffering and they're still greedy. They behave as if the Steelers not playing in the Super Bowl is a crime against football.

I'd love to hear the rationale behind this.

-Big Ben's suspension reduction.

-Super Bowl XL officiating.

-The NFL looking the other way in the '70s while the Steelers juiced their way to a dynasty.

-They have six championships and rarely ever have a losing season, but their fans still whine twice as much as fans of snakebitten franchises.

Seriously, this is it?

-So a player having his suspension reduced is an indictment of an entire fanbase and the franchise?

-Bad officiating in the NFL, and in the Super Bowl? How many of us around here dont bitch about officiating in the NFL, in my experience it isnt just confined to the teams that are playing the Steelers.

-Were the Steelers the only team that juiced in the 70's?

-This is probably going to be my biggest disagreement with Lights Out and McCarthy, I dont see the entitlement, I really dont, and I've been around long enough that if the problem is as bad as you two make it out to be, I should have seen it on some level by now. Now to be fair, if this sort of thing happens at games, then thats another thing, I've only been to two.

Lights out took care of it. I thought "nfl's rich kids" was pretty self-explanatory, but I'll delve deeper. You're "rich" because you have more super bowls than any other team. Success is taken for granted because nobody who's a Steelers fan (who is younger than 60) has ever had to deal with any extended periods of pure hopelessness. Every other franchise in the entire NFL has had flat out :censored:ty seasons (of which I'm talking 1-15, 2-14, 3-13), but the Steelers pretty much hover around 8-8 at their worst. On top of that, the Steelers seemingly get 60% of the favorable calls and bounces always fall in their favor.

You're the rich kids because so much has been given to you, but you haven't had to put any work into it. You're the trust fund babies of the NFL. There's no struggle as a Steeler fan. There's no suffering. It's easy to be a Steelers fan and I have 0 respect for you because of it. The only thing easier than being a Steelers fan is being a Yankees fan.

So basically what this boils down to is that you hate the success, just say that and be done with it.

Even with all that, or possibly because of that, nobody handles losing with as little grace as Steelers fans. This is purely anecdotal, but every Steelers fan I know has this unbelievable entitlement complex like they're supposed to be in the Super Bowl every year.

Again, like I said earlier, I dont see it.

There are four things I like to see happen in any given year.

Beat Baltimore twice, hope New England loses every game, and that neither of those two win a Super Bowl.

I can't speak to this as much as an impassioned Steeler fan can, and maybe that makes all the difference in the world here, as my avatar shows, I am a Pens fan and hockey fan first and foremost. But given that I still dont see that attitude from the Steelers fans I know, and have met and talked to.

I've been saying that I hate the Steelers success all along, I never beat around the bush, but moreover it's that Steeler fans have it easy because of the success. On top of that, Steeler fans take it for granted how good their team really is. Instead of being thankful that you've made an NFL record 15th conference title game you guys act like it was owed to you after having to "endure" last year's 9-7 season. It's not fair. You guys have no idea what it's like to go through a miserable NFL season. I don't know how many times I have to keep restating that.

My only desire for the Steelers is that just once you go 2-14 so you understand how good you really have it. Once that happens then you'll truly appreciate what you've been given and right now I think the majority of Steeler fans think this is normal and don't get that their success has bordered on phenomenal.

You don't see it? I don't know what to tell you because Steeler fans I know grumble and complain about everything. I lived in Athens, Ohio with a lot of kids from Pittsburgh (and even more D-bags from Ohio who are Steeler fans). They complain about losing the AFC championship games to New England. They complain about Kordell Stewart, a QB who went to 2 AFC Championship games. You complained about Cowher until he finally won a Super Bowl. Like I said, purely anecdotal and obviously I can't prove this scientifically, but Steeler fans are the most intolerable group of baby fans in pro-sports. Last year when you were 9-7 the Steeler fans in Athens were unbelievably bitchy. Sorry you had to spend one season at 9-7. That must have been so tough for you. You don't get to win the Super Bowl every year. That's not how this works.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Jesus christ people quit it with the "bandwagon" crap.

Also - the holding that was called on the Ravens' defensive lineman near the end of that game - was it ever explained? Was it a legit call? I was in a crowded bar and all I could hear was people (even Steelers fans) saying "lol, it's (phantom penalty in their favor to win a game) happening again".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also - the holding that was called on the Ravens' defensive lineman near the end of that game - was it ever explained? Was it a legit call? I was in a crowded bar and all I could hear was people (even Steelers fans) saying "lol, it's (phantom penalty in their favor to win a game) happening again".

They actually said "lol"?

BB52Big.jpg

Yes. We're so serious here that nobody actually laughs anymore, we simply use text talk even in everyday speech to convey what the expected emotional response would be to a particular event. Live moves too fast to waste time actually laughing out loud.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Steelers' worst season since 1974 (their first championship year) was 1988, when they went 5-11. Five freaking wins, and that's been their worst output post-dynasty! And they have six championships!

Instead of being thankful for the run the Steelers have had since 1974, the fanbase just takes it all for granted and throws a fit once every five or so years when the Steelers miss the playoffs. Steelers fans rival Yankees fans for pure entitlement and spoiledness. The Steelers' success has been completely wasted on their fanbase.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yes. We're so serious here that nobody actually laughs anymore, we simply use text talk even in everyday speech to convey what the expected emotional response would be to a particular event. Live moves too fast to waste time actually laughing out loud.

Nice. Do you mind if we try that out here in Ohio? I'm always looking for ways to improve my personal efficiency.

BB52Big.jpg

I've been saying that I hate the Steelers success all along, I never beat around the bush, but moreover it's that Steeler fans have it easy because of the success. On top of that, Steeler fans take it for granted how good their team really is. Instead of being thankful that you've made an NFL record 15th conference title game you guys act like it was owed to you after having to "endure" last year's 9-7 season. It's not fair. You guys have no idea what it's like to go through a miserable NFL season. I don't know how many times I have to keep restating that.

My only desire for the Steelers is that just once you go 2-14 so you understand how good you really have it. Once that happens then you'll truly appreciate what you've been given and right now I think the majority of Steeler fans think this is normal and don't get that their success has bordered on phenomenal.

You don't see it? I don't know what to tell you because Steeler fans I know grumble and complain about everything. I lived in Athens, Ohio with a lot of kids from Pittsburgh (and even more D-bags from Ohio who are Steeler fans). They complain about losing the AFC championship games to New England. They complain about Kordell Stewart, a QB who went to 2 AFC Championship games. You complained about Cowher until he finally won a Super Bowl. Like I said, purely anecdotal and obviously I can't prove this scientifically, but Steeler fans are the most intolerable group of baby fans in pro-sports. Last year when you were 9-7 the Steeler fans in Athens were unbelievably bitchy. Sorry you had to spend one season at 9-7. That must have been so tough for you. You don't get to win the Super Bowl every year. That's not how this works.

So your a scorn, bitter person at the Steelers because your Bengals cant get their act together, thats what this boils down to. Because you pull for an inept franchise the Steelers and their fans should have to go through the same thing. I dont hear Steelers fans saying they are 'owed' anything, either because of a good season or not, and you can restate your argument as many times as you like, you hate the Steelers because of the success, I get it.

Now the last paragraph I'd love to debate. Is it your contention that teams that do well should be happy with what they get even though in the end its a failure? Shall we ask Bills fans about that? Im sure they'd argue winning four AFCCG then in the end not having a Super Bowl to show for any of them isnt a pleasant experience. If the Bengals start reeling off success and make 4 or 5 AFCCG in 10 years or so, and lose them or a game or two in the Super Bowl, you would be happy?

So your a scorn, bitter person at the Steelers because your Bengals cant get their act together, thats what this boils down to. Because you pull for an inept franchise the Steelers and their fans should have to go through the same thing. I dont hear Steelers fans saying they are 'owed' anything, either because of a good season or not, and you can restate your argument as many times as you like, you hate the Steelers because of the success, I get it.

Now the last paragraph I'd love to debate. Is it your contention that teams that do well should be happy with what they get even though in the end its a failure? Shall we ask Bills fans about that? Im sure they'd argue winning four AFCCG then in the end not having a Super Bowl to show for any of them isnt a pleasant experience. If the Bengals start reeling off success and make 4 or 5 AFCCG in 10 years or so, and lose them or a game or two in the Super Bowl, you would be happy?

This is going to get hysterical.

BB52Big.jpg

Granted, it wasn't exactly the offense's fault the Falcons lost tonight...but I wonder just how focused Falcons' OC Mike Mularkey was for this game. He's had a few head coaching interviews these past two weeks, and for the offense to look this inept....it's definitely worth at least some discussion in the local media this week.

Didn't help his case at all. Ryan's gonna get a lot of flack for that pick-six he threw to end the 1st half, but that was a crazy call to begin with. The way Matt Bryant has been kicking all season, a FG would've been money & the 2nd half would've been manageable. Instead, that pick basically killed the season. Idk if that was Mularkey's call or Smith who decided to go for more yards, but that decision just rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, didn't help that most of the impact guys didn't show up until the game was over (Turner was basically taken out of the game due to the hole they fell into...smh). Poor Tony G, too. Only one catch and he gets injured. Hot mess of an offensive performance.

But yeah, like you said, definitely wasn't the offense's fault, as underwhelming as they were. That was on the defense. Rodgers was 10/10 on 3rd down, and the Packers didn't punt the entire game. That was horrendous, it reminded me of the 2009-10 Falcons defense that was a sieve at best. It was painful to watch them give up long 3rd downs like it was nothing, and even worse was the missed tackling. It was bad when the Saints came here a few weeks agoo, & even worse. Our guys need to re-learn the concept of wrapping up on tackles, because so many were missed. Just an atrocious defensive effort, though I'd be remiss without giving Rodgers some credit. The Falcons defense was bad, but he was in the zone. Green bay is gonna be a problem for whoever wins today.

ALl in all, I'm not mad at the Falcons. 13-3, division title, and the team is still pretty young. 11 wins in 2008, 9 in 2009, 13 in 2010. As long as they don't let this kill the franchise, the Falcons will be back & hopefully this regime will get some playoff wins under their belt soon. Plus, not like this was the worst way for the season to end. They could've gone out like this against some random 7-9 team.

marshawnlynchcoolface.gif

But they didn't, and I am thankful for that. THX 4 TEH MMRZ, 2010-11 Falcons.

Ohio Steelers fans are the worst. They talk a lot of smack because they decided to root for a successful franchise in another state... For the record, you haven't accomplished anything, the team has. I could just as easily choose to become a Yankees fan and piss on the Pirates but that'd be stupid, because I believe you should be a true fan to one team in a sport (and a bandwagon fan to anyone playing your rivals).

As for Pittsburgh Steeler fans, I can't imagine the majority of them truly appreciate what they have. And there is a big difference between complaining about missing the playoffs with 6 Superbowl titles and complaining with 0. That Bills comparison was a complete miss.

Not only that, but Bears fans were cheering the injury. Now I hope Seattle blows them out by, like, 40.

Bringing the NFC Championship game to Seattle; home of the 7-9 Seahawks. How great would that be? Heads will explode if it happens.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived