Amarillo Sox - New

thinkkre8tiv

sox.jpg

Amarillo Sox are on deck

When summer rolls around baseball fans will be rooting for the Amarillo Sox.

Team general manager Mark Lee announced this afternoon at a news conference the new nickname for Amarillo’s debut season in the American Association.

Lee had selected Gold Sox as the nickname in December, but the Gold Sox name had been trademarked by a minor league baseball team in California and Lee was forced to change it.

John Harris has been named manager of the club. Harris was the Amarillo Dillas assistant coach last season under former manager Brady Bogart.

A Clovis, N.M. native, Harris has extensive history with Amarillo baseball, having led the Dillas to the 2003 Central Baseball League championship series.

The American Association is a professional independent league with franchises ranging from Canada to El Paso. Amarillo recently joined the American Association and is schedule to begin its 2011 season May 12 hosting the Wichita, Kan., Wingnuts.

Read more on the Amarillo Sox upcoming season in Thursday's edition of the Amarillo Globe-News.

Amarillo Sox - Amarillo Globe-News Article

Personally this pays homage to the Amarillo Gold-Sox our old professional minor league team. But the logo is absolutely RIP-OFF of the Twins down to the details on the ball.

Twins ripoff issues aside, the team is missing a great opportunity with its color scheme.

Since Amarillo is Spanish for yellow (Thanks, Dora!), the primary color should be less mustardy and more of an "athletic gold" (i.e., YELLOW). That way, the color scheme would match the Spanish version of the name -- Yellow Sox.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Twins ripoff issues aside, the team is missing a great opportunity with its color scheme.

Since Amarillo is Spanish for yellow (Thanks, Dora!), the primary color should be less mustardy and more of an "athletic gold" (i.e., YELLOW). That way, the color scheme would match the Spanish version of the name -- Yellow Sox.

Yeah definitely, they screwed up on this one.

They used to have a minor league team there called the Gold Sox.

And, yeah, lousy ripoff logo. Amarillo deserves better.

FsQiF2W.png

The logo is also a big snoozer. At least the Twins have an interesting-to-look-at wordmark in the mix. This doesn't do anything but sit there.

My birth place in 1961, Amarillo, Texas.

Yawn - I understand why they might of used the gold-ish color. One of the local high schools is the "Golden Sandies" (tornado/whirl-wind Logo).

The "Sox" text is terribly done, a cut & paste job, as well as Rippin' off the Boston Red Sox font. I am embarrased - what a sh***y logo.

May I suggest the name - "Sandy Sox".

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

They can't even center "Amarillo" and "Baseball Club"?

Neither could the Padres (although they had an excuse: the oversized Padres script)

xhuya48vxgpcj9uw6ereqznsr.gif

Don't get me wrong, this new logo is pathetic.

EDIT: After a second look, I actually think that the "Amarillo" and "Baseball Club" are in the EXACT same off-center positions as the "SAN DIEGO" and "Baseball Club" are in the old Padres logo.

This means that we have the Boston Minnesota San Diego Amarillo Twins Padres Sox. This takes pathetic to a new level of patheticity! (Is that a word? Who cares!)

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Just off the top of my head, I came up with what could be a great name. The Amarillo Eldorados. The city of gold that the Spanish explorer Coronado (I think) was supposedly looking for. Maybe not a politically correct name? But it would sure as hell beat this travesty.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Neither could the Padres (although they had an excuse: the oversized Padres script)

EDIT: After a second look, I actually think that the "Amarillo" and "Baseball Club" are in the EXACT same off-center positions as the "SAN DIEGO" and "Baseball Club" are in the old Padres logo.

This means that we have the Boston Minnesota San Diego Amarillo Twins Padres Sox. This takes pathetic to a new level of patheticity! (Is that a word? Who cares!)

The plot thickens ripping off two logos at once.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

The Sox logo was designed by West Texas A&M University graduate Russell Johnson, who also kept the official scorebook for the Amarillo Dillas last year and works at KGNC radio.

Lee declined to say how much the Amarilloan was paid to design the Sox logo.

Johnson said he didn't use the Twins logo as a template or for inspiration, and was surprised to learn of the similarities.

"It's a traditional baseball logo with a baseball in the center and eclipses going around it," Johnson said. "The Twins aren't the only (MLB team) with (that design)."

Riiiiiiight... :rolleyes:

The plot thickens ripping off two logos at once.

Or...the Twins ripped off the Padres!?!?

87Redskins.png

Archived