New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like it. Good job, Marlins. I'm always happy when teams distance themselves from the ill-fated '90s love affair with teal, and finally the Marlins don't have to do so by just wearing black and white.

Only to close the gap between them and the Orioles and Giants? How is that better? At least the teal was unique. I really do like the black ballcap and their white jersey, but that orange alternate is bad and even worse when paired with the black ballcap. Way too much like Baltimore and SF. If a team wants to re-brand, then it should be something that is completely different from the rest. I think the orange jersey top can be somewhat fixed if paired with a blue, white, or orange ballcap. Love the white home jersey though.

I'm so shocked many of you are even on the fence about these. This is absolutely atrocious...my goodness. It's not even close to being a solid identity. How many Crayola "M" logos can they fit into one uniform? I'll wait for the official unveiling to pass more horrible judgement...

Wait'll you see the numbers...

Dey be funky.

I really like it. Good job, Marlins. I'm always happy when teams distance themselves from the ill-fated '90s love affair with teal, and finally the Marlins don't have to do so by just wearing black and white.

Only to close the gap between them and the Orioles and Giants? How is that better? At least the teal was unique. I really do like the black ballcap and their white jersey, but that orange alternate is bad and even worse when paired with the black ballcap. Way too much like Baltimore and SF. If a team wants to re-brand, then it should be something that is completely different from the rest. I think the orange jersey top can be somewhat fixed if paired with a blue, white, or orange ballcap. Love the white home jersey though.

But on the Giants and O's jerseys the black is much more prevalent. IMO the rainbow trim really makes the difference, through that rainbow trim on the font people will NOT have a hard time distinguishing the Marlins from SF or BAL. The rainbow trim differentiates them from the other black and orange teams in the same way that the Padres' sand color (R.I.P.) once differentiated them from other navy and white teams.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

We owe marlinfan an apology for ignoring when he repeated Samson insisting "our colors are orange and black," huh.

I've only been around these forums for a short while, but yeah, Marlins fans have known that for years. the past couple of years, in fact, the entire marlins.com site was orange.

Totally expected poll results from one of the the local papers. Since it was put up last night it's gotten 1364 votes, 1128 or 83% of which voted "God-awful! This is way over the top!".

Sure the new design represents Miami... the tacky, touristy, Crockett and Tubbs Miami.

They've already distanced themselves both figuratively and literally from the fans in Broward and Palm Beach Counties(which together have a larger population and historically higher season ticket sales than Miami-Dade), and the new identity will further hurt support in the northern counties.

The local reaction to the "leaks" in South Florida has been clear, overwhelmingly negative. We'll never develop the strong fanbase I know we have the potential to become if we keep getting kicked in the stomach every time things seem to be moving in the right direction. As usual, it's one step forward, five steps back for the Fish.

Thankfully the ballpark deal came with a 30 year agreement with the Marlins and MLB to keep the team in South Florida, so eventually when Loria sells the team or dies, this crap can go with him. There is already a spot reserved for the Miami Marlins alongside the Gorton's Fisherman and the Buffaslug on the Island of Misfit Mascots.

Woah, woah. Dude, deep breath.

Let's talk, since you seem to have an insider's perspective to SoFlo (I made that up), which most of us do not boast (I'm a northern NJ/ NY guy).

1. Isn't it fair that with a new ballpark / new name, you'd expect the team to alter its look? I think so.

2. If the new place is in (Little Havana?) Miami, it's OK to call it them the Miami Marlins. I mean, Crikey, you somehow managed to scam your way to having a real nice state-of-the-art stadium. That seems fair.

3. I'm sensing there is a racial / status undercurrent going on in your gripes. You're saying that the Broward/ Palm Beach people (who, I'm assuming are white, upper-crust folks) don't like this, and the team is catering to Miami-Dade (who, I'm assuming, the other counties see as "lower-class" minorities / Cubans, etc.). Isn't it good business practice to try and diversify your product and capture as many eyes as possible? They're not going to lose you as a fan (at least, they shouldn't) by rebranding, but they could gain 5 others from Miami-Dade who would otherwise not care for the team or know it existed. Seems fair to me.

4. If you're establishing a Miami ID, shouldn't you try to evoke that feeling and flair in the jerseys? You're a team in SoFlo; you shouldn't be navy and white or something "stoggy" like that. You should be colorful. It was teal; now, it's this creamsicle thing. Why not? Aren't the Miami flag colors orange and green? I'm assuming you'd be happy, as I would be, if the blue-ish color got swapped for a nice light green. A kelly-green jersey could look tremendous, and my guess is that would be a top seller. Kelly-green hats / brims instead of the orange, which is fairly familiar to MLB fans.

5. How will rebranding "hurt support" in the northern counties? To me, I'd be excited (for once) to be a Marlin fan. Enjoy the new park and all the new amenities. Even enjoy the bandwagon fans who come along for the ride. You're actually in play for top-tier FAs. How is this bad, again? If nothing else, you're becoming increasingly RELEVANT. When was the last off-season in which we said that? And it's not because the team is moving or is being sold to some dubious person. Have fun with it.

3. I'm sensing there is a racial / status undercurrent going on in your gripes.

I don't know about that specificly, but there is definitely an undercurrent of resentment - he was previously an employee, fired by the team for trashing them on message boards.

Best to just let him rant for the day and hope he keeps his promise to drop it tomorrow.

3. I'm sensing there is a racial / status undercurrent going on in your gripes.

I don't know about that specificly, but there is definitely an undercurrent of resentment - he was previously an employee, fired by the team for trashing them on message boards.

Best to just let him rant for the day and hope he keeps his promise to drop it tomorrow.

Obviously not the brightest light bulb.

Archived