New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Longtime Marlins fan, and someone who always reads these forums (it's practically a daily viewing for me)

Here's my take on this new look (or what we've seen of it)...

It's such a radical change. I've accepted teal would be gone for a long time. The Marlins have been phasing it out for years, and since I really started falling in love with the Marlins in 1997, and then disappeared for a few years after they stopped trying, they've muted their look to the point that it was silver and black. I had a feeling orange was coming. I was at the ballpark groundbreaking event and everything was orange. Wasn't a fan of that then, not a fan of it now.

I get that Loria is/was? an art dealer and he wants to brand the team in his own tastes, but what he's done with this new look is turn a team with 2 W.S. titles into a team that might as well be an expansion team. This look is so radically different (coupled with the new ballpark, new manager, etc.) that the Marlins basically are a new team. And that's why I think this sucks. Its as if 15 years of history (Renteria, Livan, Sheffield, Nenn, Leither, Lee, Cabrera, Beckett, Brown, etc.) is just being erased. I grew up with this team, and I have Marlins banners all over my room. I still have my 2003 title shirt and I wear it proudly. This is just tough for a longtime fan to adapt to this. Nothing about this look says "marlins" to me. It just says Miami. And there is a serious divide between those who love Miami and those who can't stand it. I'm in the middle. But "Florida" represented a team that seemed universal to anyone's tastes, and this new look is going for trendy, over-the-top, and almost 'hey, look at me and all my colors.'

I get that the Marlins have had attendance issues (Pro Player was a horrendous place to watch a game (**Crickets**) ahem, Sun Life, and they have a bad rap amongst sports fans because of their thrifty nature and all the times they threatened to move. But I just don't feel they needed to go this far. The new blue color is actually nice and had they gone with that and another color (say black and silver) I think people would have really been onboard. It just seems like Loria is trying to disconnect the team from its past.

As we've seen with the Blue Jays, who will be returning to a modern update of their old look (via fan feedback), people like to connect with their past. We are at heart a nostalgic society. Facebook immortalizes moments more so than ever before. Want to revisit your last 4-7 years? Just go through your pics on Facebook (does anyone even keep a photo album anymore?)... My point is that Marlins fans are a proud group who have been frustrated by the team's lack of commitment these past 10 or so years. They don't need a new look to tell us they have a new attitude. Fine tune the logo they have now, and keep that connection to the past alive.

I get that people hate change, but change for the sake of change isn't always so great anyways. And when that change alienates so many of your fans who are already frustrated about the new name, the stadium being in Miami, and the fact that the city was fleeced by the team, it just seems like an ill-advised move on Florida's part. Ahem, Miami.

Just wanted to give my two sense. They should've kept the time-less Marlins script and recolored it, and made something nice for Miami. It could've worked. But I guess we'll never know. At least not anytime soon.

Signed,

O well

This is probably one of the most well-said explanations of the Marlins change. I, too, am disappointed. I don't plan on buying any new Marlins gear, and when I do finally go to a game at the new stadium, I'll be happy to wear my 1993-style gear.

I couldn't agree more with both of you. I have their original road hat with the teal cap and black bill, I love that thing so much, and now it's way more than just a throwback. Honestly, are ticket sales gonna go up? Yeah, but are merchandise sales gonna go up? About 5% is my guess.

I plan on going to a game in either April(during spring break) or July. I will wear the shirt that I wore today, with the original logo, from 1991 when they first unveiled the new team, and I will also wear the cap I described earlier in this post. I think our old logos are our true identity, that's when we won 2 world series, and had good players, and teal. I honestly do think that with the new look, we do look like an expansion team. The logo has gotten less terrible, but it just doesn't seem like it fits in place.

Those are my thoughts on it.

Still a Marlins fan,

Griffinmarlins

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Sharks fans lead the sports world in generating stupid parody content about their team, I'm pretty sure. This is what happens when you have a sports team that markets itself almost exclusively to middle-class Silicon Valley nerdlingers. Like, have you ever gone to hfboards? I think they're making a picture Bible with Joe Thornton as God.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From what I've seen of the leaked jerseys, I really don't dislike them. But I do wish they chose teal over orange. Now, they're just like the Orioles and Giants. Whereas they could have owned teal in baseball.

But other than that, I really don't see what the issue is. The jerseys are pretty standard, sans the word mark, and yet that's good thing. They have a word mark that is unmistakable, and isn't that what it's all about? Making a unique brand?

From what I've seen of the leaked jerseys, I really don't dislike them. But I do wish they chose teal over orange. Now, they're just like the Orioles and Giants. Whereas they could have owned teal in baseball.

But other than that, I really don't see what the issue is. The jerseys are pretty standard, sans the word mark, and yet that's good thing. They have a word mark that is unmistakable, and isn't that what it's all about? Making a unique brand?

But the teal was unique. Why destroy 20 years of branding history with a unique colour (albeit one that died down over time with the growth of black) just to make a new radical colour scheme that has just as much black.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

But the teal was unique. Why destroy 20 years of branding history with a unique colour (albeit one that died down over time with the growth of black) just to make a new radical colour scheme that has just as much black.

Absoultely. Teal and black can look good when distributed right. So can their new color scheme. However, it's not distributed evenly. Colors clashing everywhere. Wordmarks that are inconsistent. Three M's on one jersey. Will they unveil an actual logo tonight or will the abstract M-marlin logo be the primary? 30 seconds left...

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Well yes, I agree with you there, that's what I pointed out. They should have stuck with teal. They should have made it their own.

But even with their old identity, the Marlins were consistently moving away from teal. Which was always a mistake, I think.

Well yes, I agree with you there, that's what I pointed out. They should have stuck with teal. They should have made it their own.

But even with their old identity, the Marlins were consistently moving away from teal. Which was always a mistake, I think.

HAOrXr5c.jpg

From MLB.com

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived