New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they used more of that sky blue color. A hat in that color would be sweet.. Anyways, this will grow on me. Right now this set looks more like a minor league uniform; especially with those numbers. But it's unique, and definitely has a Miami feel to it. I think it will just take some getting used to. Sad to see the teal go though.

Since the Marlins are my second favorite team, I'm definitely getting one of those orange hats.

dbacksbannersigs.png

Good in theory, bad in execution.

That's how I feel about it. I would have embraced this more if they had committed to the logo's look throughout the uniform. It feels like a bunch of half-measures, which is what I feared from this redesign. The full wordmark and the numbers should have the same colored beveling as the logo. The "A" "R" and "S" in the wordmarks look like they were dropped in from another font. The numeral font gives the Marlins the same problem the Blue Jays are finally about to fix. The sleeve, neck, and pants piping seems off-the-rack and timid. You know what would have been better? Tri-color sleeve cuffs.

All in all, it's better that the drab blackness of the Loria regime, but still not as good a look as the teal days. Nothing I'll be dropping my money on any time soon.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In case anyone doubted the "insiders", here's a recap from early September:

creamsicle4.gif
I finally saw...well...everything...and boy is it bad. :shocked:
on the team website, the background is all orange and black. nothing else. am i wayyy over thinking it or do we have a new primary orange and black team like the orioles and giants?

How can I say this.

There is a multicolored feature on some versions of the logo set.

It's not necessarily the uniforms or the hats themselves, ie hat logo or wordmark, more what might be called the "primary" logo that is..meh to me. To me it ruins the entire identity. The main color doesn't help either in my opinion. I'll let you guys be the judge though. I'm just one man.

I will say that they will still sell a fishing boat load of merchandise anyway, just because it is new. Who knows, it might be fantastic on the field as well.

I am guessing the logo is something abstract and generic silhouette, like a logo we would find on the letterhead of a hypothetical Marlin Security Systems.

The main color doesn't help either in my opinion.

Is it too bright or just an ugly color?

That's up for interpretation I guess. At this point I don't even know if you can call it the "main" color.

So confusing.

Looks like they were going for the 80's beach/tourist look (see below). Plain wordmarks, ugly colors, overall fail. Only thing that is decent about it is the actual Marlin icon but it's overshadowed by the suckiness of the rest of it. Gets lost in the shuffle. Hopefully they use it by itself sometime down the road.

images-PRODUCT-large-4047.jpg

I got more info out of my uncle who's a VP for the Marlins, but it's pretty much stuff we already know. Multiple bright, flashy colors. In his opinion the uniforms and logos don't look very good.

To add to the discussion, have we been told by the people in the know yet if they still use Black? With so many colors it might not be needed.

Black will be included, yes.

A lot of black.

I don't have a problem with it. It's not the boring and bland look of the Rays, and it's actually using different colors than what we normally see in pro sports these days. Could it be done more effectively? Sure. It looks like they too creative license and ran with it. I do agree that the "A" and the "N" should be in the same art deco font that the "M" is using to bring it together. The numbers aren't bad, but the beveled look needs to be dropped. I surprisingly like the white "Miami" on the road uniform as it surprisingly pops off with the use of the other colors. Oh and the yellow in the logo, I guarantee you that when someone is interviewed about it, they are going to say it's a "V" representing Victory. Overall. I give it a B-. After seeing it, I have to say that I figure in about 8-10 years, they will ditch it and go back to their original expansion era look. That's the problem with this uniform, it actually looks very 80's and dated as we speak.

still recovering. Best analogy I heard was that the logo looked like a "fictional coastal hotel" logo.

If it helps, my first thought was, "Wow. That's a perfect logo for Miami Int'l Airport."

MM_Ballpark_RGB-420x522.jpg

Is that font similar to the workmark on the jersey? I remember someone mentioned it was very plain.

Yes.

TRUST ME I LIVE IN MIAMI I CAN SEE THE STADIUM OUTSIDE MY BED ROOM WINDOW... NONE OF THESE HATERS SEEN THE LOGO YET NO ONE HAS ...LOTS OF THESE PPL SAYING THEY SAW IT ARE PROB. METS ...CUBS... OR PHILLY FANS JUST HATING WE WILL ALL SEE THE LOGO AND NEW COLORS ON 11-11-11 THATS A FAKE LOGO DERS SOME ALL OVER THE WEB PHOTO SHOP HAVE U PPL 4 GOTTON ABOUT THE SYSTEM? A NOTHER THING I CAN TELL U IS THAT THERE WILL BE ZERO ORANGE IN THE MIAMI MARLINS NEW COLORS WE ARE NOT THE "JEW YORK MUTS" THE OWNER TOLD REPORTERS THAT TEAL IS THE COLOR OF THE 90s. SO THATS ABOUT THE ONLY THING U HATERS GOT RIGHT IN THIS THREAD. ONE MORE THING THE OWNER SAID BLACK AND SILVER COLORS SELL. ..MY GUESS ITS GOING TO BE BLACK ...SILVER.....AND ROYAL BLUE

I threw the last one in for laughs ^_^

Good in theory, bad in execution.

That's how I feel about it. I would have embraced this more if they had committed to the logo's look throughout the uniform. It feels like a bunch of half-measures, which is what I feared from this redesign. The full wordmark and the numbers should have the same colored beveling as the logo. The "A" "R" and "S" in the wordmarks look like they were dropped in from another font. The numeral font gives the Marlins the same problem the Blue Jays are finally about to fix. The sleeve, neck, and pants piping seems off-the-rack and timid. You know what would have been better? Tri-color sleeve cuffs.

All in all, it's better that the drab blackness of the Loria regime, but still not as good a look as the teal days. Nothing I'll be dropping my money on any time soon.

Agreed. It seemed like they were lost in going with a multicolor wordwark or a black one with orange undertone, so they did both. Looks awful. It's a shame too because as much as I want to like this, I always look at the unnecssary outline in the M-marlin combined with a wordmark that doesn't match, and the uneve distribution of colors. If the yellow has only a 5 percent effect in the uniforms, should it really be included? Are the Marlins a black & orange team now or a black, orange, blue, and yellow team?

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

That's the problem with this uniform, it actually looks very 80's and dated as we speak.

Disagree with this completely. I think without doubt there will be some minor tweaks here and there, it happens with almost every team, but I really do think this basic design will be around for quite some time.

How good is this redesign? Well, I'm a Rays fan, yet I purchased a Marlins jersey and hat. Well done, Marlins.

No, you're not. They are your team of the moment (or at least one of them), just as you like random teams (normally trendy ones) in every sport and hop on every bandwangon possible. I would bet you have never been to a Rays' game, and maybe never even to Florida. It isn't like you are some longtime Rays fan buying gear of the hated rival Marlins, and those teams don't even have a rivalry to begin with, so I'm not sure what your point was.

Oh, so you have to live in a location or have been there to be a fan. I guess I've been rooting for the wrong football team all these years. I'm much more of a chiefs fan than a Rockies fan and I've been to close to a hundred rockies games and no chiefs games. Once I see lights out change from the chargers rays or clippers I'll agree with you but as of now you are absolutely off base.

I actually really like this stuff and will be buying a jersey and both hats, but it certaintly won't be the grey jersey it looks bad.

If you haven't seen him talk about "his team" being anybody other than ones you mentioned, you haven't been paying attention. Regardless, the point I was making is that he implied the Marlins did such a good job that even a fan of the hated rival Rays would buy their gear. Even aside of the dubiousness of his fanhood, the teams aren't rivals at all. It isn't like a Yankees fan saying, "Yous guys are gunna hate me, but I bought dis new Red Sox road jersey cuz it's friggin sweat."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

TRUST ME I LIVE IN MIAMI I CAN SEE THE STADIUM OUTSIDE MY BED ROOM WINDOW... NONE OF THESE HATERS SEEN THE LOGO YET NO ONE HAS ...LOTS OF THESE PPL SAYING THEY SAW IT ARE PROB. METS ...CUBS... OR PHILLY FANS JUST HATING WE WILL ALL SEE THE LOGO AND NEW COLORS ON 11-11-11 THATS A FAKE LOGO DERS SOME ALL OVER THE WEB PHOTO SHOP HAVE U PPL 4 GOTTON ABOUT THE SYSTEM? A NOTHER THING I CAN TELL U IS THAT THERE WILL BE ZERO ORANGE IN THE MIAMI MARLINS NEW COLORS WE ARE NOT THE "JEW YORK MUTS" THE OWNER TOLD REPORTERS THAT TEAL IS THE COLOR OF THE 90s. SO THATS ABOUT THE ONLY THING U HATERS GOT RIGHT IN THIS THREAD. ONE MORE THING THE OWNER SAID BLACK AND SILVER COLORS SELL. ..MY GUESS ITS GOING TO BE BLACK ...SILVER.....AND ROYAL BLUE

So this is officially the worst post in Sports Logos Forum history, amirite?

Okay well I took your post the wrong way, sorry.

To be honest, I really don't pay attention to lights out all that much. I just remember some of his sigs.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Two things really bug me with this set.

If it weren't for the two things, I'd be ok with this set.

1. White wordmark on the road uniform. Why?

2a. On the Marlins wordmark, why not keep the marlin jumping out from the "M"?

2b. Why can't the "M" be the same color on every background, instead of swapping blue/orange?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Hahaha that made me lol.

On a topic related note, I almost love the new set. The hats are sick probably gonna buy a black one, my only complaint though is that I think this set would be perfect if the blue was the prominent color rather then the orange. Would have made this look truly unique. If they had a black, blue brimmed cap, I'd be wearing it now.

Two things really bug me with this set.

If it weren't for the two things, I'd be ok with this set.

1. White wordmark on the road uniform. Why?

If the bad numbers are my #1 peeve, then this is my #2. I'm thinking that they'll probably tweak this in a year or 2, but for now, it annoys me because it messes up the flow of colors. Black hat, black piping, but white script? Nope.

Speaking of the black hat, I like that one. It's not "the sex" like its beautiful orange sibling is, but it's a nice hat. You definitely can't say that the Marlins didn't half-ass this redesign.

Most Awesomely Bad Post of 2011 imo.

Archived