New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this identity. It's really unique, seriously man, look at the 2012 MLB page and see how much it stands out, it's awesome.

http://www.sportslog...?id=4&year=2012

I think this may be what the MLB needs in order to jump start some new design.

I agree, it's always nice to see teams try something new.

This is why I wish teams like the Blue Jays still kept their powder blue roads.

In case anyone doubted the "insiders", here's a recap from early September:

creamsicle4.gif
I finally saw...well...everything...and boy is it bad. :shocked:
on the team website, the background is all orange and black. nothing else. am i wayyy over thinking it or do we have a new primary orange and black team like the orioles and giants?

How can I say this.

There is a multicolored feature on some versions of the logo set.

Ha. Memories. Fun recaps.

Just got back from the stadium and picked up both caps and a shirt. It was around one of the parking structures, 5 in at a time.

I really like the uniforms and such in person. They look awesome. I'm just waiting for a Blue ALT Cap and Jersey now and a Black Crown, Yellow Bill. All of which would be awesome. The Marlins website has the perfect color scheme right now.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Couldn't get on the site for a while but here's everything. Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

14dlgzn.png

2mcf75y.png

fvbabq.png

iyk8j8.png

2uf4n6f.png

153pvdk.png

pq80i.png

ta4m6a.png

xnt0nb.png

It looks odd that the Marlin is outlined in black on the road and orange alt but not the white home. I think if they outlined it in black it'd look 10x better. Also the logo on the cap is entirely too big. Why is it so big? It looks awful. I understand why the Marlin is jumping out of the I in Marlins (because the script is longer than Miami it wouldn't look right placed at the end) but I wish they had the marlin jumping out of the second M in Miami to make it look more uniform across the set. Also there's a lot of empty space on the jersey between the A and the M in Miami which could easily be filled by the Marlin. Also I think the orange cap on orange jersey is going to be too much, the orange cap would look much more sharp with a black bill IMO. My last gripe is the piping on the black jersey looks too boring in white, they really should have made it orange or blue. Actually my last gripe is the sleeve patch, I think it's overkill having the same logo on the jersey twice and on the cap as well (especially since it's enormous). IMO it'd look a ton better if it was just the marlin without the M.

Overall it's a decent set, very different which I like. Just make some of the above mentioned changes and I think it'd be a very solid set. I would have liked to have seen more blue or yellow since MLB already has the Orioles and Giants but eh, whatever. The white script on the grey road works very well IMO. The black alt is very plain and I hope we don't end up seeing it much but knowing the Marlins they'll end up playing 70% of their games in it.

21dh5qp.png

"If our ballpark could speak, it would say 'Hola Miami!'" "We hope to represent cool, Miami, and international." - J. Loria

Here are some screen grabs of the live internet feed of the uniform unveiling:

MarlinsScreenGrabs.png

Here's Pitbull:

PitbullMarlins.png

...here's everything else:

MarlinsNewUniforms.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Anyone got a vector version of the "M" logo yet?

I got one that I just traced in Illustrator.

Btw, it appears that the non-M letters in the mark are EngraversGothic. At least it's the closest to them, and it's pretty close.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I'm sure someone will put the official vector up on Wikipedia very soon, though.

why is the marlins logo so black compared to the other teams who use black on the site?

maybe it was just the pictures that the the main site got

this looks better as a whole with the marlins using the same black as everyone else. the current way makes it stand way too out imo

14ux8jq.png

Most of the Sun-Sentinel readers are not into the uniform:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-miami-marlins-new-uniforms-poll-1111,0,6264165.poll

Here are some of the articles on them as well. You'll notice Sportslogos.net was printed in the 2nd article:

Miami Marlins unveil new uniforms, colorful new look

Craig Davis SunSentinel.com

8:17 p.m. EST, November 11, 2011

MIAMI—

The Miami Marlins will be colorful. They will be distinctive.

Different, not only from the rest of Major League Baseball but from their past as the Florida Marlins. They made that clear Friday night with a gala unveiling of their new look, logo and uniforms at the yet-to-be-named retractable-roof ballpark in Little Havana.

How bold of a direction the new-look franchise is headed will ultimately depend on who wears the uniforms -- they reportedly have extended offers to Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes.

Friday was about style. Gone is the familiar marlin wrapped around an F they wore on their caps since 1993. The name change from Florida to Miami Marlins brings the multicolored M accented by an abstract marlin that has been rumored since September.

The much-debated logo was formally revealed to an invitation-only crowd in the ballpark and a live stream on Marlins.com that featured a performance by rapper Pitbull. Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen and players emerged wearing assorted variations of the home and away uniforms. The glitzy event was reminiscent of the Heat's showy introduction of the Big 3 after LeBron James and Chris Bosh joined Dwyane Wade.

The logo is similar to what has been circulating on the Internet for more than a month, with slight color variations. The center is black when set against light backgrounds, white on the black cap and colored jerseys. It is trimmed with orange, yellow, silver and blue.

While the uniforms are nontraditional for Major League Baseball, they fall well short of extreme.

The team revealed four uniforms: The home white, road gray and alternate black each have MIAMI in beveled, block-lettering across the chest, with the logo M larger with the leaping marlin. The home whites have orange piping around the collar, sleeves and down the outside of the pants. Only the orange alternate varies with MARLINS across the chest and the abstract fish leaping from the middle of the name.

Numerous leaks of images of the logo and merchandise removed much of the suspense from the announcement. A photo circulated earlier Friday of second baseman Omar Infante wearing one of the orange jerseys alongside Emilio Bonifacio in a black warm-up jacket.

Reaction to the rumored design was largely, and often colorfully, negative. After it first appeared on the Internet, former Marlin Dan Uggla said he felt sorry for players who would wear the new uniforms. However, some players who had seen them spoke favorably of the new look during a team event Thursday night at the new ballpark.

T-Shirts, caps, jerseys and other items bearing the new design was being sold outside the ballpark following the announcement. Saturday, merchandise will go on sale at kiosks in the Sawgrass, Aventura and Dolphin Malls as well as the Marlins en Miami story in Coral Gables.

Miami Marlins bank on fans buying bold, non-traditional look

New merchandise on sale Friday night at ballpark, Saturday at several malls

By Craig Davis, Sun Sentinel

6:52 p.m. EST, November 10, 2011

Intrigue — and criticism — began when a multi-colored M with an abstract marlin surfaced on the Internet as the purported new Miami Marlins logo in late September.

Reaction to the design has been largely, and often colorfully, negative. More leaks and supposed images have followed.

"The stuff that I've seen out there, a lot of it is completely wrong," said Sean Flynn, Marlins vice president of marketing. "I haven't seen anything that is completely accurate yet."

Weeks of speculation and premature carping about the new look will end Friday night with a gala Miami Marlins coming-out party. The first gauge of reaction to the makeover of the franchise will come almost immediately as merchandise goes on sale late Friday night outside the ballpark in Little Havana and Saturday at several malls.

The logo will be unveiled and uniforms modeled by Marlins players and manager Ozzie Guillen before an invitation-only crowd of about 500 beginning at 9 p.m. The show will be streamed live at Marlins.com. Rapper Pitbull, a Miami native, will perform.

In recent weeks a layout of uniforms has been posted on numerous blogs and some mainstream media sites with claims of confirmation as the Marlins' primary and alternate attire beginning next season. It was actually the creation of a frequent contributor to Sportslogos.net, who posted it with the qualifier that it was intended "to see how close I could get to what we'll finally see on 11/11/11."

A Miami Herald reporter found a cap for sale in a Buffalo, N.Y., sporting goods store bearing the original leaked logo. It had the trademark of Buffalo-based New Era, the licensed manufacturer of caps for Major League Baseball.

"That was from a room that had prototypes. It was not an actual Miami Marlins cap," Flynn said.

With the lead time needed for manufacturers, leaks were inevitable, and it is likely that what has been seen is close to what the Marlins will unveil Friday night. What is known is it will be a complete departure from their teal and pinstripe past. It will be colorful and non-traditional, which is sure to rankle baseball purists.

"It represents Miami, our new home," Flynn said. "South Florida is bold and different. This is a market that lends itself to that. We do things differently. We're a non-traditional market."

So expect bright and assorted colors, evident in literature associated with the new ballpark. Don't be surprised if orange is prominent, it is a favorite of owner Jeffrey Loria.

"I promise when the players walk out you'll see some very interesting uniforms. When players are in them, they look good. When the logo is on clothing that is available, it looks good," Marlins President David Samson said during his weekly radio show on 790 The Ticket. "Any time there is change people can get resistant. But I promise, you will grow to love it, and I know I have over the months that I've been looking at it."

At 11 p.m. Friday, the Marlins will begin offering T-shirts, jerseys, caps and other accessories bearing the new design for sale to the public on the first floor of one of the garages next to the ballpark.

Will fans be lined up cash or credit card in hand?

"It's hard to tell. My guess would be a few hundred folks would line up and want to be the first to have their new Miami Marlins gear," Flynn said. "The buzz factor surrounding this is pretty high. We're anticipating a huge weekend."

In addition to their store in Coral Gables, the Marlins will have kiosks with merchandise at the Sawgrass, Aventura and Dolphin malls beginning Saturday. Twenty-game ticket plans also go on sale Saturday, and tours of the ballpark will be conducted for potential buyers thoughout the day — register at Marlins.com.

Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco will make appearances Saturday at Sawgrass (noon-1 p.m.), Hanley Ramirez, Gaby Sanchez and Omar Infante at the Dolphin (12:45-1:45 p.m.).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Having seen the whole set... they're still atrocious. I'm downright shocked by the amount of support they've gotten on here; obviously, it's just me.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This set is "okay", in my opinion. All of the hype that it was the worst set ever or seizure-inducing was off base. Then again, uniforms rarely ever live up to their hype, whether it positive or negative. It is a modern-looking uniform that gives Miami a better identity than they had before. Sure, things could have been done better. One major thing that I dislike is "MIAMI" on the home whites, but that may be temporary. Overall, the set isn't overwhelmingly bad or overwhelmingly good.

Archived