IT BEGINS...first high school colored field unveiled

devilray2k1

what madness have we begun???

- - - - - - -

Texas school unveils nation's first red turf high school field

Yahoo! - Forget Boise State's blue turf. That's been done. New Braunfels (Texas) Canyon High wanted to make a statement with the school's new turf field, so it went with the Cougars' school color: Bright red.

As reported by TheOldCoach.com and the Dallas Morning News, Canyon officially unveiled the school's new bright red turf with a soccer scrimmage between the Cougars and Hays (Texas) High on Tuesday. While that scrimmage was the first chance for any teams to compete on the cornea-blazing surface, the first officially recorded games will come on Thursday, when both the Canyon boys and girls soccer teams kick off the Comal Cup Soccer Tournament, beginning with the Cougars girls squad's game at 9:00 a.m.

To get a sense of just how bright the red turf is, at the left of the photo above, check out the end zone, which has been left in the traditional green turf color ... at least for the moment.

Of course, the brand-new turf surface will also serve as the home of the Cougars football program starting in fall 2011, at which point Canyon will be the only high school program in the nation to use a red turf field. Division I-AA program Eastern Washington used a red turf field for the first time during the 2010 football season, and plans to continue using it in future seasons.

While the red turf makes Canyon's surface a pretty safe bet to be the nation's gaudiest at the moment (or at least one of two, along with Eastern Washington's), that honor may not last long if current plans for a forthcoming field in the Alamodome to accommodate the coming debutant University of Texas San Antonio football program actually evolves as is currently planned. Reports earlier this fall claimed the Roadrunners would use a bright orange field to match their school colors.

That orange field is so blazingly bright that it's almost impossible to believe until everyone actually sees it inside the Alamodome. The Canyon turf, on the other hand, is definitely very real, as the Cougars' opponents have already begun to discover.

4d223b33cda1d.image.jpg

4d223b5bbde2b.preview-300.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so incredibly glad that the University of Oregon plays on natural grass.

That won't last. Nikegon will always look for new ways to ruin the game.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Carbon turf? With highliter-colored lines perhaps?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

star_full.gifstar_full.gifstar_full.gifstar_full.gifstar_full.gifstar_full.gif

Umm...Autzen Stadium is outfitted with Field Turf. It alternates between dark and light green every five yards.

autzen_2_002-420x315.JPG

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Carbon turf? With highliter-colored lines perhaps?

No, no, no... you got it wrong, it'll be highliter turf, with carbon-colored lines, as well as a pair of carbon wings on the "O" at the 50-yard line.

what madness have we begun???

- - - - - - -

Texas school unveils nation's first red turf high school field

Yahoo! - Forget Boise State's blue turf. That's been done. New Braunfels (Texas) Canyon High wanted to make a statement with the school's new turf field, so it went with the Cougars' school color: Bright red.

As reported by TheOldCoach.com and the Dallas Morning News, Canyon officially unveiled the school's new bright red turf with a soccer scrimmage between the Cougars and Hays (Texas) High on Tuesday. While that scrimmage was the first chance for any teams to compete on the cornea-blazing surface, the first officially recorded games will come on Thursday, when both the Canyon boys and girls soccer teams kick off the Comal Cup Soccer Tournament, beginning with the Cougars girls squad's game at 9:00 a.m.

To get a sense of just how bright the red turf is, at the left of the photo above, check out the end zone, which has been left in the traditional green turf color ... at least for the moment.

Of course, the brand-new turf surface will also serve as the home of the Cougars football program starting in fall 2011, at which point Canyon will be the only high school program in the nation to use a red turf field. Division I-AA program Eastern Washington used a red turf field for the first time during the 2010 football season, and plans to continue using it in future seasons.

While the red turf makes Canyon's surface a pretty safe bet to be the nation's gaudiest at the moment (or at least one of two, along with Eastern Washington's), that honor may not last long if current plans for a forthcoming field in the Alamodome to accommodate the coming debutant University of Texas San Antonio football program actually evolves as is currently planned. Reports earlier this fall claimed the Roadrunners would use a bright orange field to match their school colors.

That orange field is so blazingly bright that it's almost impossible to believe until everyone actually sees it inside the Alamodome. The Canyon turf, on the other hand, is definitely very real, as the Cougars' opponents have already begun to discover.

4d223b33cda1d.image.jpg

4d223b5bbde2b.preview-300.jpg

So when they fumble the ball how do they find it?

Or do they use a green ball or something?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

No, Boise St.'s primary home uniform is blue/blue/blue.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived