2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

Why does Washington State have gray uniforms and silver uniforms?

Good question. Washington State University's school colors are crimson and gray as mentioned in the fight song and noted by the most recent brand guide. At this year's unveiling of Washington State's new uniforms the athletic department made a big deal about "one crimson" to represent the school, but went ahead and included two different shades of gray in the set. In my opinion they should stick with one gray (and I think it should be the lighter "silver" color).

I don't know if WSU is wavering on which gray to use, of if Nike created multiple sets that will all be used, or if EA just made some mistakes on what was being offered. I did notice the all-gray helmet didn't make it to Teambuilder. I hope that means they ditched the design. Also pleasing was the new WSU gray (not silver) helmet includes a crimson face mask on Teambuilder (at the unveiling it was gray), hooray! I feel like Nike is offering the dark gray color as WSU's black alt. In my opinion it doesn't contrast enough with the crimson to make the uniforms look good.

As a side note, I'm wondering how long the Cougs are going to stick with this two helmet scheme for home and away. The crimson road helmet is very nice-looking as a stand-alone piece, but it doesn't make any sense. It has no gray on it whatsoever and I take issue with that. I think it looks too much like Oklahoma's lid. Actually it looks a great deal like Pac-12 memberUtah's helmet.

Just for reference, here are last year's uniforms: WSU Uniforms 2010

Seriously, what's not to like about that set?

Go Cougs.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The South Carolina jersey looks like a high school jersey with those terrible colors.

That's such an unfound statement. Colors have nothing to do with that. Fresno State's football team looks like a high school (plain uniform, overdetailed helmet logo, drop shadow uni numbers from the 90s).

SC's problem is not color. I think the new UA pants make for some really bad designs though, and they will look worse than the last set in terms of pants.

It's interesting that on teambuilder the black Tennessee jersey is a tech fit. do you people think that's EA just fooling around, or does anyone (mayhaps TylerBray) have confirmation that the Vols are going to wear black someone this season?

They still have the Idaho helmets from 2007 in there. They just don't remove jerseys a lot.

He's talking about the fact that they changed it from the old adidas template like it was when it was actually worn, to a TechFit jersey

I can say with near absolute confidence that UT will not wear black this season or at any time under Derek Dooley.

6qb9y9.png

White set looks a lot better than the rest for some reason.

Also, I am in agreement with what seems like most of our fanbase in that our helmet needs the stripes to be REMOVED. They make the set look awkward.

6qb9y9.png

Also, I am in agreement with what seems like most of our fanbase in that our helmet needs the stripes to be REMOVED. They make the set look awkward.

Is there some sort of new law that says all college uniforms have to match the color of the jerseys to the pants?

Because it continues to look like crap.

The Gamecocks still look horrendous. Just another example of slapping down some awkward striping and calling it "modern."

You know Boise wears "modern" uniforms right? And theirs are probably some of the worst in College Football unless they have decided to take away the collarbone striping.

I like South Carolina's uniforms, haven't really looked at the pants but I think the jerseys are a big improvement and I don't see what's wrong with that look at all.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

6qb9y9.png

Is there some sort of new law that says all college uniforms have to match the color of the jerseys to the pants?

Because it continues to look like crap.

They won't go monochrome all the time, pretty rare actually...Spurrier likes garnet or black on top of white pants at home.

You know Boise wears "modern" uniforms right? And theirs are probably some of the worst in College Football unless they have decided to take away the collarbone striping.

I'm well aware, and I thought the folder-tab striping was absolutely horrendous and nonsensical. Thankfully, they'll be wearing new uniforms this coming season without the ugly striping.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6qb9y9.png

White set looks best since that guy is the thinest of the 3. I'm sure all 3 guys are in great shape but the new cut of uniforms really makes bigger guys look fat instead of tough. Someone really needs to take a look at the current trend in cuts and design something that actually enhances the physique.

As mediocre as that striping pattern is for USC, it is miles better than the over-piped crap they had been wearing. The old set was a disaster.

In my opinion their main problem is the contrast between helmet and jersey--the traditional stripe really clashes with the wavy, modern design. And the white helmet looks awful with monochromed-color jersey and pants. Doesn't look too bad with white jersey or colored jersey / white pants.

I'm well aware, and I thought the folder-tab striping was absolutely horrendous and nonsensical. Thankfully, they'll be wearing new uniforms this coming season without the ugly striping.

Just making sure, but Boise's uniforms do look a lot better without that striping, still don't like the silver for them though.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

@cola

Eh, I would not see evidence of that. The Gamecocks wore garnet on garnet for every home game last year, if I recall correctly.

You are correct. Somehow I was focusing on all seasons besides last season and remember for a lot of fans calling for the all-garnet (fire ant) look...then it happened, we were winning- and it stuck.

Before that, you never really saw monochrome from Spurrier at Carolina.

Archived