Padres uniform announcement - Tuesday January 25

larrypep

Bill Center's answer to the "Sand" question seems incomplete, since it reads to me that he is answering the cap question and not the blue jersey question. Unless they redid the home jerseys, they still have sand in the lettering and trim.

So, until we hear differently, I think we should assume they are wearing white (same), grey (new), navy (same), and camo (new), with the home hat (same) and the brown hat (new).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And one more thing as to the "brown" issue. I don't dislike brown. One of my favorite old teams is the St. Louis Browns. My problem is with the way the Padres executed it. It seemed just ugly or tacky. A better design or a change of the trim color would do wonders if they bring back brown.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm sorry guys, thanks for answering the question, but I meant the actual jerseys. I use getty images to find some pictures, and in 2006 the uniforms look either very khaki or grey. I can't get a definite answer from the photos. I take it Khaki was the official road uniform right?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Bill Center's answer to the "Sand" question seems incomplete, since it reads to me that he is answering the cap question and not the blue jersey question. Unless they redid the home jerseys, they still have sand in the lettering and trim.

So, until we hear differently, I think we should assume they are wearing white (same), grey (new), navy (same), and camo (new), with the home hat (same) and the brown hat (new).

The navy jersey configured as-is will look weird with the home cap. That jersey needs the road cap IMO.

Vancouver Canucks:

green and bluish-purple with the stick-in-rink; black, red-orange and yellow with the flying V; black, white, red, and yellow with the laser skate; navy blue, medium blue, and red with the orca; green and royal blue with a whole junk drawer of logos

I think the fascination with the Padres in brown has more to do with its uniqueness and how good the very very first Padres uniforms looked than the color of the robes the friars themselves wore. While I do think that the very first brown and yellow looked neat for its time, I really feel like they got it right on (most of) the 2004 redesign by coming up with something that looks smooth, modern, and eye-pleasing. The team that should wear brown is the Indians.

Interesting. Why is that?

No better reason than that I fell in love with a few concepts that had the Tribe in brown and red. I like the existing scripts and Wahoo; it'd just be as simple as subbing out the navy for brown. I like brown and red for them because

1) it would address the glut of navy and red teams in the majors by making them look less like the divisional-rival Twins and conceptually similar Braves

2) they would share a color with the Browns and make brown a "Cleveland color" of sorts,

2B) brown and red are a fine color palette for an archetypal Rust Belt city.

Admittedly, it'd be a hard sell, because the Indians are a charter member of the American League and have worn navy and red as long as anyone can care to remember, but I really think it would set them apart in a positive way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Vancouver Canucks:

green and bluish-purple with the stick-in-rink; black, red-orange and yellow with the flying V; black, white, red, and yellow with the laser skate; navy blue, medium blue, and red with the orca; green and royal blue with a whole junk drawer of logos

I think the fascination with the Padres in brown has more to do with its uniqueness and how good the very very first Padres uniforms looked than the color of the robes the friars themselves wore. While I do think that the very first brown and yellow looked neat for its time, I really feel like they got it right on (most of) the 2004 redesign by coming up with something that looks smooth, modern, and eye-pleasing. The team that should wear brown is the Indians.

No better reason than that I fell in love with a few concepts that had the Tribe in brown and red. I like the existing scripts and Wahoo; it'd just be as simple as subbing out the navy for brown. I like brown and red for them because

1) it would address the glut of navy and red teams in the majors by making them look less like the divisional-rival Twins and conceptually similar Braves

2) they would share a color with the Browns and make brown a "Cleveland color" of sorts,

Admittedly, it'd be a hard sell, because the Indians are a charter member of the American League and have worn navy and red as long as anyone can care to remember, but I really think it would set them apart in a positive way.

I have to admit that my first reaction was "brown and red?!?!? WTF?" but after thinking about it I think it's an interesting idea. I'm just having trouble visualizing it. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find those concepts you referred to.

BB52Big.jpg

Vancouver Canucks:

I have to admit that my first reaction was "brown and red?!?!? WTF?" but after thinking about it I think it's an interesting idea. I'm just having trouble visualizing it. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find those concepts you referred to.

FWIW, Bohob did a pretty nice one using those colors. I think it looked great.

I couldn't care less if a team doesn't match the colors of their animal mascot, but if your mascot is a human who wears a distinct outfit, I think it's a little bit different. Especially if that human appears on your uniform in patch form. Yet another reason I dislike the red Patriots uniforms - forget about this history angle, but the mascot is wearing a blue uniform right on their helmet. It's kinda contradictory.

Not something I'm losing sleep over though. In the grand scheme of sports logos / uniforms, it's a relatively minor thing.

So I can put you in the brown "because they're the Padres" column? I'm glad it's not keeping you up at night. Then again, that's what all that Ambien is for right?

Meh, I'm kind of indifferent. It's just that I can understand the "brown because they're the Padres" argument way more than the "Jaguars aren't teal!" one.

I've said it before (in Communication Arts Magazine) but ignoring brown and the friar in their primary brand is lazy, poor design. If the Padres owners truly want a San Diego wave, surf motif, then fine, change the name. If they want to continue the Padres name, take up the challenge and have a logo/brand designed that matches. Enhancing a mascot rather than ignoring it seems so elementary to me. It's what we, as designers, should always do.

FWIW, Bohob did a pretty nice one using those colors. I think it looked great.

I just looked up his Indians concept. I have to admit it looked pretty good. I wasn't crazy about the design of the uniform but the color scheme worked pretty well. Much better than I thought it would to be honest. As I was digging through the old thread I saw a a lot of Bohob's MLB work. The guy really nailed it on a bunch of those concepts. His Padres concept is what the team should have gone with if you ask me.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm sorry guys, thanks for answering the question, but I meant the actual jerseys. I use getty images to find some pictures, and in 2006 the uniforms look either very khaki or grey. I can't get a definite answer from the photos. I take it Khaki was the official road uniform right?

2004-2010 was khaki. The last year they used gray was 2003.

So I e-mailed Bill Center last week and asked him about the caps. His response - "I'll have to research and get back to you".

So, last night he sends me this e-mail:

The Padres will have four game caps this season, including a new brown cap for the camos and a new road cap

So I ask him to tell me more on the new road cap and his response:

All I know is the cap will go with the road colors. It might be a cap they have used in the past.

So, from what I make from this the "new" road cap probably means new as in "new to the road uniform ensemble", meaning the old home cap like pictured in the picture release of Will Venable:

5390970003_1cd03d23a0_b.jpg

The old road cap will probably be relegated to the navy blue jerseys to match the sand.

So I e-mailed Bill Center last week and asked him about the caps. His response - "I'll have to research and get back to you".

The Padres will have four game caps this season, including a new brown cap for the camos and a new road cap

All I know is the cap will go with the road colors. It might be a cap they have used in the past.

So, from what I make from this the "new" road cap probably means new as in "new to the road uniform ensemble", meaning the old home cap like pictured in the picture release of Will Venable:

The old road cap will probably be relegated to the navy blue jerseys to match the sand.

Great work getting an answer.

So, SD's caps for 2011 "should" be:

1. Home (the one we've seen for years now)

2. Road (new)

3. Alt 1 (the one that was the road but will now go exclusively with the navy alt)

4. Alt 2 (new; the brown one that has just recently been seen and will go with the camo alt)

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

2. Road (new)

3. Alt 1 (the one that was the road but will now go exclusively with the navy alt)

4. Alt 2 (new; the brown one that has just recently been seen and will go with the camo alt)

The only mystery is Bill Center said the Padres will employ 4 caps, so I'm not sure what that means in regards to the new road cap - if it's simply the home cap, then wouldn't that be employing 3 caps on 4 uniform sets?

2. Road (new)

The only mystery is Bill Center said the Padres will employ 4 caps, so I'm not sure what that means in regards to the new road cap - if it's simply the home cap, then wouldn't that be employing 3 caps on 4 uniform sets?

Probably meant what is listed above. Road will be "new" in that it's not the old road cap, but will in fact be the old home cap (which is new for the road). The old "road" cap will now be the new "alt1" cap. And then of course the new brown cap to go with alt2. Meaning 3 "new" caps along with the long time home cap.

2. Road (new)

Probably meant what is listed above. Road will be "new" in that it's not the old road cap, but will in fact be the old home cap (which is new for the road). The old "road" cap will now be the new "alt1" cap. And then of course the new brown cap to go with alt2. Meaning 3 "new" caps along with the long time home cap.

I'm thinking that as well, but his comment of having "4 game caps" this year (direct quote from his e-mail) caught my eye and is confusing.

2. Road (new)

I'm thinking that as well, but his comment of having "4 game caps" this year (direct quote from his e-mail) caught my eye and is confusing.

So far that seems to be par for the course when he's commenting on this topic. However it seems that we all would have been less confused had we just accepted that Venable was wearing the right cap in the first place.

2. Road (new)

So far that seems to be par for the course when he's commenting on this topic. However it seems that we all would have been less confused had we just accepted that Venable was wearing the right cap in the first place.

This is true. Perhaps we are more enlightened than the beat writer lol.

Am I the only one who see's the yankees every time this picture pops up?

Am I the only one who see's the yankees every time this picture pops up?

No and you're also not the first to mention it.

Archived