Padres uniform announcement - Tuesday January 25

larrypep

Yeah, I've always thought the wordmark wasn't that bad. However, for the Padres it just doesn't fit. San Diego suffers from the same disease as the Astros but the other way around; the Padres should have an older, retro look to match the whole friar/ south-western missionary theme that they're named after, whereas the Astros should be with a futuristic space theme not an old west rope theme.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I still miss the brown and gold. They started out damn-near perfect in 1969, and have been working their way downhill since then, sometimes slowly and sometimes at a breakneck pace.

I'll admit 69 was an acceptable use of pee and poop,

Does your mother know you're using her computer? :rolleyes:

Ah, I still miss the brown and gold. They started out damn-near perfect in 1969, and have been working their way downhill since then, sometimes slowly and sometimes at a breakneck pace.

I'll admit 69 was an acceptable use of pee and poop,

Does your mother know you're using her computer? :rolleyes:

He was just giving his opinion. Don't be such a poo poo head.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

However, are there formal (read: officially announced) plans for the Padres to overhaul their look in 2012?

One question I have is why is everyone assuming they're due for a major change in 2012? What is that rumor based on?

I believe the rumor started based on a comment from either Garfinkel or Moorad on the local radio station here in San Diego (can't find the interview, but I believe it was late last year as they were discussing the name of the AAA team). And local sportswriter, Bill Center, has alluded to this several times in his Padres Chats in the past couple weeks as well. He's been right in the past, so...

I'd file it under wild, optimistic speculation - especially in light of yesterday's gray uniform unveiling - for the time being.

Why not a "San Diego" script in the same wavy style as the "Padres" script? Someone on UniWatch mocked it up once. It looked pretty neat.

The new grey is too blue. It should have more yellow in it without being khaki.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anyone know where I can get the old Camo Jersey cheap? I can't find any decent priced ones anywhere online.

Probably everywhere. Padres team store in particular will be dumping inventory so they're probably a good bet.

I called, they want 229 for the jersey, and 289 for the jersey customized. Anywhere else?

http://www.minorleagues.com/6362109.html

Try here. I have purchased from them, great place to keep your eye on.

Would love to see the home unis have a script similar to this:

eff-sdp49h.jpg

They wore a slightly altered version of those in a throwback game against CHI a few years ago on a PCL commemoration night. MLB Shop sold them for about a week and I was able to get one. It would look great full time. I am a big proponent of cream jerseys.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

A couple choice quotes from today's Bill Center chat (basically, take everything he says with an ENORMOUS grain of salt):

Lonnie: You've mentioned the team considering a return to the 84 look? Does that mean brown, yellow, and orange?

Bill Center: I think they are considering the style of the '84 home uniforms, but I'm not certain about the colors. I hear Moorad likes the traditional Padres colors in small quantities while others in the front office favor different colors in the long-term. Remember, Padres original minor league colors were red, white and blue. No, they won't look like flags.

fifthandlaurel: So I don't have to ask at tonight's Town Hall meeting: what is the origin of the 2012 uniform makeover rumor? I've seen this alluded to by you and radio hosts, but can't find anything from the front office's mouth. Thanks.

Bill Center: The front office isn't going to tell you what changes they are thinking about in the future if they are still trying to market today's uniforms today. But I like the general direction they are taking. I hate the home uniforms right now. The Padres could be a number of teams. I've heard some at the top of the Padres family tree might look far into the Padres past for the next generation uniforms and colors. We're talking before 1969.

gil: with the new road uniforms i assume they will wear the white letter hats. what about the navy tops? are they still around? sand letter hats?

Bill Center: All sand is gone. The new camo tops will have a brown cap as an alternative.

A couple choice quotes from today's Bill Center chat (basically, take everything he says with an ENORMOUS grain of salt):

Lonnie: You've mentioned the team considering a return to the 84 look? Does that mean brown, yellow, and orange?

Bill Center: I think they are considering the style of the '84 home uniforms, but I'm not certain about the colors. I hear Moorad likes the traditional Padres colors in small quantities while others in the front office favor different colors in the long-term. Remember, Padres original minor league colors were red, white and blue. No, they won't look like flags.

fifthandlaurel: So I don't have to ask at tonight's Town Hall meeting: what is the origin of the 2012 uniform makeover rumor? I've seen this alluded to by you and radio hosts, but can't find anything from the front office's mouth. Thanks.

Bill Center: The front office isn't going to tell you what changes they are thinking about in the future if they are still trying to market today's uniforms today. But I like the general direction they are taking. I hate the home uniforms right now. The Padres could be a number of teams. I've heard some at the top of the Padres family tree might look far into the Padres past for the next generation uniforms and colors. We're talking before 1969.

gil: with the new road uniforms i assume they will wear the white letter hats. what about the navy tops? are they still around? sand letter hats?

Bill Center: All sand is gone. The new camo tops will have a brown cap as an alternative.

I'll definitely take it with a grain of salt. If they were to not have the navy they'd effectively have no alternate jersey (since the camo is a home Sunday only thing). Which goes against the norm in MLB. Also regarding the away cap, the MLB style guide still has the Padres wearing it with the gray uniform.

Good info there. But,

• They are considering 84 style-uniforms but not in brown. They are also considering reaching way back for the next uniform (think PCL era). These two notions seem to contradict each other.
  • All sand is gone - if this is the case how do we explain the Alternate blue uniforms and the road caps - are those now rendered obsolete?

Good info there. But,

• They are considering 84 style-uniforms but not in brown. They are also considering reaching way back for the next uniform (think PCL era). These two notions seem to contradict each other.
  • All sand is gone - if this is the case how do we explain the Alternate blue uniforms and the road caps - are those now rendered obsolete?

I agree completely; that's what I meant by "take with an enormous grain of salt." I'm pretty sure Center's method of reporting is to throw these theories at a wall and see if one sticks. Regarding your second point, I'm actually unsure if the alternate blue uniform will be used next year or - if so - whether or not they will utilize the sand road caps. Given that the new away uniforms now utilize the all-white SD logo of the home caps I don't think it's completely outrageous to believe that the alternates might do the same...even with the sand wordmark.

Good info there. But,

I agree completely; that's what I meant by "take with an enormous grain of salt." I'm pretty sure Center's method of reporting is to throw these theories at a wall and see if one sticks. Regarding your second point, I'm actually unsure if the alternate blue uniform will be used next year or - if so - whether or not they will utilize the sand road caps. Given that the new away uniforms now utilize the all-white SD logo of the home caps I don't think it's completely outrageous to believe that the alternates might do the same...even with the sand wordmark.

So are you saying they would wear the white "SD" caps with the Navy alternates while retaining the sand script on the chest? That wouldn't look very good. Center said "all sand is gone", what did he really mean by that?

Way to :censored: up the best jersey in baseball, San Diego. Way to go.

"Best jersey in baseball"? Seriously? That's what you thought of the now old one?

Not sure how any jersey with that wordmark can be considered the "best" at anything.

I've never understood what's wrong with that wordmark. I love the typeface and the D actually looks normal... 'cause in a 2 letter place name the 2nd word is capitalized. Anyways, the khaki colour of the jersey more than made up for anything the wordmark may have lacked. It was pretty much the last truly unique look in baseball.

6fQjS3M.png

So are you saying they would wear the white "SD" caps with the Navy alternates while retaining the sand script on the chest? That wouldn't look very good. Center said "all sand is gone", what did he really mean by that?

I have no idea what the deal is. The bullpen jackets have the sand wordmark, too.

I'm assuming that he meant the sand logo SD on the hat specifically is gone. Personally, I find that comment odd as Hoyer and Garfinkel were both quoted as saying the only change was that they wanted more "traditional" away uniforms and that sand will still be part of the Padres color scheme going forward, but we'll see. It's already gone from the away kit.

Someone asked me to post the "new" colors once revealed...here's the new primary palette:

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

For comparison's sake, here's the former set:

SanDiegoPadres_FRC_2010_SOL_SRGB.png

Note the difference between the "Sand" color, and the "Khaki" road uni color...

Archived