super bowl XLV to be played on grass

duma

http://tampasportsauthority.com/news/1_tsa_announcements/tsa-field-crew-member-to-represent-tampa-in-super-bowl-xlv/

Tampa, FL?December 17, 2010?The NFL Super Bowl Field Director has selected Tampa native Wayne Ward to join the field crew in Dallas as they prepare the grass surface for this year?s Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium.

Ward, 40, and a graduate of Leto High School, has worked for the Tampa Sports Authority as a grounds crew assistant on the fields at Tampa Stadium and Raymond James Stadium for 19 years including three Super Bowls, XXV, XXXV and XLIII. During that time, Tampa?s playing surface has been consistently ranked at the top of the NFL fields according to an NFL Players Association survey of the players. Ward will spend two weeks in Dallas with the NFL grounds crew beginning January 10th.

?Wayne is a skilled, talented, diligent worker who truly cares about what he is doing and the quality of work he delivers,? said Ed Mangan, Super Bowl Field Director for the NFL. Mangan noted that Ward?s experience and skills in grooming fields in a tight time frame was particularly important in his selection for the assignment. Ward also worked the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl XLIV last year at Dolphins Stadium, adding to the confidence Mangan has in Ward?s work experience.

Eric Hart, executive director of Tampa Sports Authority, managers of Raymond James Stadium, stated that ?Wayne?s dedication to detail and his in-depth knowledge of the care and maintenance of playing surfaces makes him a natural choice for the turf duties in Dallas.?

Cowboys Stadium will host the Super Bowl XLV on February 6, 2011. Mangan has been the Super Bowl Field Director for the NFL for 11 years and has worked on 22 Super Bowls including working with Ward at Tampa?s last two Super Bowls.

very interesting to say the least... was searching around for the field art and came across this article. will definitely effect the outcome of the game. everyone expects GB to do well on the artificial fast track but now that is not the case since it will be brand new grass, which will undoubtedly cause footing/slipping issues during the game...

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waitaminute...could someone explain to me how Cowboys Stadium could handle a grass field? Let alone one that will be put in on top of a concrete floor in two weeks (or so).

I'm not sure that the article quoted above is referring to actual grass, or just maintaining and painting the existing artificial turf.

Waitaminute...could someone explain to me how Cowboys Stadium could handle a grass field? Let alone one that will be put in on top of a concrete floor in two weeks (or so).

I'm not sure that the article quoted above is referring to actual grass, or just maintaining and painting the existing artificial turf.

It isn't.

We would have been told how they would build a platform for this:

537973714662f0f618e7b.jpg

Since that press release came out in December, it would have been much bigger news then. Now, both the campuses of TCU (Steelers practice facility) and SMU (NFC) both have grass fields. The NFL professionals go onto the campuses and prepare those fields and fan areas for next week. The NFL even has a partnership with Toro, who provides all equipment. Even a Toro corporate press release dated two weeks after the TSA one does not say the game is to be played on grass.

5379135149abceb59b13b.jpg

They put in grass when it first opened for the Chelsea/Club America soccer match.

They put in grass when it first opened for the Chelsea/Club America soccer match.

So - maybe they're putting in a palette system like they do in Reliant Stadium then.

They had a grass field for the World Cup games at the Silverdome in 1994, so it's possible.

That said, I don't know why anyone would think grass would be a disadvantage for the Packers... what is Lambeau Field?

So - maybe they're putting in a palette system like they do in Reliant Stadium then.

Based on this article, where they discuss the grass soccer field, the field for the Super Bowl will be artificial.

My link

Having a grass pitch was a contractual issue for the Chelsea game. When they put down that grass pitch, Jack Hill Cowboys Stadium GM said the Super Bowl would be played on turf.

Can they change their mind in two years? Sure.

But it would have been part of an official NFL release months ago.

From that article:

===

But they don't plan to have a parade of grass fields. For instance, Hill said the 2011 Super Bowl will be played on the artificial surface, called RealGrass Matrix turf.

===

Seems pretty clear.

That article is a year and a half old. Plans change.

From that article:

===

But they don't plan to have a parade of grass fields. For instance, Hill said the 2011 Super Bowl will be played on the artificial surface, called RealGrass Matrix turf.

===

Seems pretty clear.

That article is a year and a half old. Plans change.

Okay, is this fresh enough? From the Stadium Guide section of nfl.com's Super Bowl Visitor's Info page:

Playing Field Surface:

Matrix Synthetic Turf

Cheapest tickets on stubhub btw are $2445. I'll pass. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Doesn't Lambeau use some sort of reinforced hybrid surface? It's not plain old sod.

Hang on a second, let me look ...

image.jpeg?n=1292601359

Yes, that's Desso (formerly DD) Grassmaster. Also used in Denver, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Lambeau's grass always looks great, but Philly and Pittsburgh are as bad as Soldier Field's grass.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Green Bay has the stadium all to themselves. Pittsburgh and Philly split it with college teams. So it is easier for Green Bay's field to recover since it's getting half the workout. As much as everyone complained about Chicago's turf, it didn't seem to matter once the hitting started. I can still remember NFL games in Cleveland when they simply painted the dirt green because it was so bad.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived