super bowl XLV to be played on grass

duma

Found this on the Cotton Bowl's twitter, http://yfrog.com/f/h4enxoaj/

Looks like the NFL logo will be on the 50 again this year, even with the new Super Bowl branding.

superbowlfield.jpg

The Steelers are the road team, so the end zone with their name should be on the right, not the left. What are they doing?

Great catch, and I really would have never known that if you hadn't said anything. But after looking at old photographs, you're exactly right.

They're listed the "wrong" way on the game balls, as well:

5386446770_e3c9433eda_b.jpg

I hadn't noticed it before, but it seems more intuitive to have the road teams' endzone be on the left. The balls though.... <smh>

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Everything is wrong!

The end zone is wrong, the ball is wrong, the logo is wrong, the trophies are wrong, the stadium is wrong, the commissioner is wrong, the teams are wrong, the jerseys are wrong, the location name is wrong (North Texas WTF).

Everything is wrong. :cry:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this on the Cotton Bowl's twitter, http://yfrog.com/f/h4enxoaj/

Looks like the NFL logo will be on the 50 again this year, even with the new Super Bowl branding.

superbowlfield.jpg

The Steelers are the road team, so the end zone with their name should be on the right, not the left. What are they doing?

Great catch, and I really would have never known that if you hadn't said anything. But after looking at old photographs, you're exactly right.

They're listed the "wrong" way on the game balls, as well:

5386446770_e3c9433eda_b.jpg

I hadn't noticed it before, but it seems more intuitive to have the road teams' endzone be on the left. The balls though.... <smh>

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Everything is wrong!

The end zone is wrong, the ball is wrong, the logo is wrong, the trophies are wrong, the stadium is wrong, the commissioner is wrong, the teams are wrong, the jerseys are wrong, the location name is wrong (North Texas WTF).

Everything is wrong. :cry:

So what's in those blue carrots? :wacko:

And the ball isn't wrong. Checked the last 5 SBs and the NFC team is always on the left.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Your sources are wrong. Ive seen the field and walked on the field enough to know that it IS in fact a type of bermudagrass, and the fact that it is used for an athletic field is the reason why I referred to it as a "glorified" weed. BTW, if you plan to troll me some more, I know my weeds. Know them enough to handle material such as glyphosate, diuron, and prodiamine.

Done.

Dude, no offense meant. In fact, I must apologize. I should've visited 49ers.com:

# The sod is technically known as "Tiffway II Bermuda", but in lay terms it is a hybrid of Bermuda with a Perennial Rye over-seed.

However, I will still take issue with calling hybrid bermudas glorified weeds. Hybrids were developed specifically for lawns, athletic fields and golf courses, and serve that purpose very well.

It also looks like they're using color placements that were established when they put helmets in the end zones. When you had a helmet of one color, the end zone was painted in the other color to make the helmet stand out. (Steelers black helmet on yellow, Redskins burgundy on yellow, Packers yellow on green, Cowboys silver on blue, etc.)

In this case, the Steelers end zone is going to be black wordmark on yellow end zone. But is you're using just the logo, there's nothing that would prevent those colors from being flipped. This game would look better if both end zones were painted in the dark color with the wordmarks in yellow.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

It also looks like they're using color placements that were established when they put helmets in the end zones. When you had a helmet of one color, the end zone was painted in the other color to make the helmet stand out. (Steelers black helmet on yellow, Redskins burgundy on yellow, Packers yellow on green, Cowboys silver on blue, etc.)

In this case, the Steelers end zone is going to be black wordmark on yellow end zone. But is you're using just the logo, there's nothing that would prevent those colors from being flipped. This game would look better if both end zones were painted in the dark color with the wordmarks in yellow.

The Steelers have used a yellow endzone for each of their Super Bowls. The Bears had orange for Super Bowl XX but navy for XLI. Other than the Bears, I don't know if any team that has been to multiple Super Bowls has changed their endzone color without changing their team colors.

Here is a random thought I had last week. In the '80s the Jets' colors were just green and white and they used a green helmet. What color endzone would they have gotten if they went to a Super Bowl? White? If they did white I imagine they would leave a few inches of grass unpainted bordering the endlines. Since they didn't add black to their scheme yet, making the endzone black would have been really bad. Would it have been gray?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Steelers have used a yellow endzone for each of their Super Bowls. The Bears had orange for Super Bowl XX but navy for XLI. Other than the Bears, I don't know if any team that has been to multiple Super Bowls has changed their endzone color without changing their team colors.

Actually, Miami has played with both an aqua endzone and an orange one.

That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head ...

Actually, Miami has played with both an aqua endzone and an orange one.

That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head ...

Packers end zones were yellow in Super Bowls I and II, then green in SB XXXI and XXXII

Giants was red in XXI and XXV, then blue for XXXV and XLII

Eagles was grey in XV, then green for XXXIX

Patriots and Rams have also changed, but there were slight changes in team colors between appearances.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Giants played with both Red (XXI, XXV) and Blue (XXXV, XLII)

Bears had Orange (XX) and Blue (XLI)

Patriots had Red (XX, XXXI) and Blue (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLII)

Eagles had Silver (XV) and Green (XXXIX)

Broncos had Orange (XII, XXI, XXII, XXIV) and Blue (XXXII, XXXIII)

Packers had Gold (I, II) and Green (XXXI, XXXII, XLV)

Dolphins had Aqua (VI, VII, VIII, XVII) and Coral Orange (XIX)

Rams had Gold (XIV, XXXIV) and Blue (XXXVI)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Vikings had purple (IV) and Gold/Yellow (VIII, IX, XI)

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

I missed that. Good eye.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

How the field was designed from I believe V to XXX the color was either the opposite of the helmet. Once the helmets were gone the majority have gone with a primary color.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

So the only teams to switch without switching color schemes were the Giants, Bears, Packers, Viking and Dolphins. Thanks everyone.

As for my speculation on the '80s Jets, what color do you think they would have used before the black was introduced?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

How the field was designed from I believe V to XXX the color was either the opposite of the helmet. Once the helmets were gone the majority have gone with a primary color.

VIII actually... I got curious and looked it up yesterday :D

But yea... the endzones from then up to 30 were always in whatever the secondary color for the helmet was.

Does that 93K count the suites and if it does I call bs.

Why wouldn't it? You need a ticket to get in the building, even if your destination is a suite.

True, but I have seen the suites as the wild card in the seating capacity count from the point that can hold more people then what they say they can. And if I am wrong, I am wrong, I just don't put anything past Jerry even if the NFL is running the show.

Why wouldn't it? You need a ticket to get in the building, even if your destination is a suite.

True, but I have seen the suites as the wild card in the seating capacity count from the point that can hold more people then what they say they can. And if I am wrong, I am wrong, I just don't put anything past Jerry even if the NFL is running the show.

I highly doubt that - these buildings have fire codes, and a maximum capacity. The records might not be readily public, but the revenues are shared, and all owners have a financial stake. If the League inflates the numbers, they'll need the owners to sign off on cooked books that don't reflect the amount of money raised.

Skepticism is a precious thing, so long as you can avoid paranoia.

FYI...if anyone is interested- WFAA.com (a Dallas TV station) has a slideshow you can access on the main page showcasing Jerry's playground transformation for the game.-some great field level shots of the decor on the field as well as the stadium itself....pretty groovy.

I highly doubt that - these buildings have fire codes, and a maximum capacity. The records might not be readily public, but the revenues are shared, and all owners have a financial stake. If the League inflates the numbers, they'll need the owners to sign off on cooked books that don't reflect the amount of money raised.

I thought that suite revenue didn't count toward revenue sharing nor official attendance.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought that suite revenue didn't count toward revenue sharing nor official attendance.

Under the current CBA, suite/club seats still count towards attendance since there was an actual ticket sold. What they do not count for is for the "blackout rule".

As for TR (total revenue), a suite/club ticket does count in some form as the team must consider a "value" for the specific ticket and another "value" for the club privileges. The ticket value goes to TR, the other value, goes directly to the team.

Archived