Domestic Soccer 2011

Don

Interesting on the Gold Cup graphic they have the red third kit listed as the away.

Looking forward to the June 11th games at Raymond James, I'll be attending the US one. I think it's interesting Canada gets an automatic entry. I know they're not in the Caribbean group but it just seems odd.

Well when your Continental Tournament only has three countries that have ever been named Champion you would think you would want them in your tournament.

Granted the competition and quality of play is no where near that of the European Championship, Copa America and even the Asian Cup. If it was anything like those tournaments the host (Which would always be the States) would be the only country that would get an automatic qualifying spot, but when you really only have three or four countries that actually have a chance at winning this thing, it's best to have them in the tournament.

If only 3 or 4 had a chance they would have no problem qualifying. I just thought it was interesting, just didn't know Canada had an automatic entry. You just look at it and say "one of these things is not like the other".

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting on the Gold Cup graphic they have the red third kit listed as the away.

Looking forward to the June 11th games at Raymond James, I'll be attending the US one. I think it's interesting Canada gets an automatic entry. I know they're not in the Caribbean group but it just seems odd.

Well when your Continental Tournament only has three countries that have ever been named Champion you would think you would want them in your tournament.

Granted the competition and quality of play is no where near that of the European Championship, Copa America and even the Asian Cup. If it was anything like those tournaments the host (Which would always be the States) would be the only country that would get an automatic qualifying spot, but when you really only have three or four countries that actually have a chance at winning this thing, it's best to have them in the tournament.

If only 3 or 4 had a chance they would have no problem qualifying. I just thought it was interesting, just didn't know Canada had an automatic entry. You just look at it and say "one of these things is not like the other".

Personally I'm surprised we get an automatic birth, granted they have gotten better over time and I really don't think it's out of the question to qualify for 2014.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

About the only way you could get the United States or Canada in a tournament as good as those is for CONCACAF and CONMEBOL to merge (and there's been some talk of this) and having an expanded Copa America (probably to 16) to work for.

LvZYtbZ.png

DC United first team to go into Portland and escape with 3 pts!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

It's painful to listen to Thomas Rongen on the DC broadcasts. Painful. The man has no idea what he's doing, and it's amazing he's kept the USA U-20 job as long as he has.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

About the only way you could get the United States or Canada in a tournament as good as those is for CONCACAF and CONMEBOL to merge (and there's been some talk of this) and having an expanded Copa America (probably to 16) to work for.

I would support a merger of the confederations, to be honest. I don't think we'd still have an issue qualifying for World Cups, and playing Brazil and Argentina in qualifying (and more often in general) couldn't be a bad thing for the US.

6fQjS3M.png

It's painful to listen to Thomas Rongen on the DC broadcasts. Painful. The man has no idea what he's doing, and it's amazing he's kept the USA U-20 job as long as he has.

Actually I think he was axed after they failed to qualify for the U20 World Cup...

Edit: I was correct. He was axed.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

I would support a merger of the confederations, to be honest. I don't think we'd still have an issue qualifying for World Cups, and playing Brazil and Argentina in qualifying (and more often in general) couldn't be a bad thing for the US.

I think it would be wonderful for the United States. I think it would help Mexico. That said, I can't see the rest of the confederation being in favor of it, as if you figure that the confederation will keep all the current bids (8), I'd have to chalk up seven of them to be the United States, Mexico, and five South American teams, leaving the rest of the confederation fighting to have a chance at the other spot.

Now, the way I'd envision it happening would be as follows:

10 nations, at the date of the preliminary draw, would be exempted into Final Qualifying. These would be the 10 teams with the highest FIFA World Ranking. Right now, those teams would be:

Pot 1: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, United States

Pot 2: Paraguay, Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Peru

The other 40 would play in 10 groups of 4, to be drawn from the pots, with the top 2 from each group advancing.

Pot 3: Jamaica, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Venezuela, Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti

Pot 4: Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, St. Kitts and Nevis, Guatemala, Dominica, Barbados, Puerto Rico

Pot 5: Curacao, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Belize, Dominican Republic, British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos Islands

Pot 6: Bahamas, Aruba, US Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserrat, French Guiana*, Guadeloupe*, Martinique*, Saint-Martin*, Sint Maarten*

(note: the starred teams are not FIFA members, but they are included because as a way to help fixture congestion, qualifying would double as both World Cup and Copa America qualification)

LvZYtbZ.png

I think it would be wonderful for the United States. I think it would help Mexico. That said, I can't see the rest of the confederation being in favor of it, as if you figure that the confederation will keep all the current bids (8), I'd have to chalk up seven of them to be the United States, Mexico, and five South American teams, leaving the rest of the confederation fighting to have a chance at the other spot.

Now, the way I'd envision it happening would be as follows:

10 nations, at the date of the preliminary draw, would be exempted into Final Qualifying. These would be the 10 teams with the highest FIFA World Ranking. Right now, those teams would be:

Pot 1: Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, United States

Pot 2: Paraguay, Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Peru

The other 40 would play in 10 groups of 4, to be drawn from the pots, with the top 2 from each group advancing.

Pot 3: Jamaica, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Venezuela, Canada, Cuba, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Haiti

Pot 4: Grenada, Antigua and Barbuda, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, St. Kitts and Nevis, Guatemala, Dominica, Barbados, Puerto Rico

Pot 5: Curacao, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Belize, Dominican Republic, British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos Islands

Pot 6: Bahamas, Aruba, US Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserrat, French Guiana*, Guadeloupe*, Martinique*, Saint-Martin*, Sint Maarten*

(note: the starred teams are not FIFA members, but they are included because as a way to help fixture congestion, qualifying would double as both World Cup and Copa America qualification)

That could work. Although I greatly enjoy the simple, single table, double robin WC qualification that South America has right now. That just works.

Yeah, I knew that. I still stand by what I said. *heh*

Yeah he is pretty painful to listen to, but I love Dave Johnson in pretty much any sport he calls.

The Whitecaps have fired coach Teitur Thordarson. That was fast...

Now that the ax has fallen, Peter Vermes (Sporting Kansas City) and Carlos de los Cobos Martínez (Chicago) are next in line to be dismissed from their clubs.

USMNT has announced the squad for the Gold Cup:

GK: Hahnemann, Howard, Rimando

D: Bocanegra, Bornstein, Cherundolo, Goodson, Lichaj, Onyewu, Ream, Spector

M: Adu, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Edu, Feilhaber, Jones, Kljestan, Rogers

F: Agudelo, Altidore, Wondolowski

Yep, that's Freddy Adu. I'm just as shocked as you are. Wondo making it is a bit of a shock as well, but Adu?!

A bit of relief...Bedoya added to squad with Feilhaber injury.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6607349/alejandro-bedoya-joins-us-gold-cup-camp-benny-feilhaber-injured

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Now that the ax has fallen, Peter Vermes (Sporting Kansas City) and Carlos de los Cobos Martínez (Chicago) are next in line to be dismissed from their clubs.

That didnt take long, de los Cobos was canned today as well. Technical Director Frank Klopas is taking over.

Not that I thought he should have got it in the first place, but he did so they should give him a chance.

The jokes are flying around Toronto about how Vancover wants to out do us in number of coaches.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

That didnt take long, de los Cobos was canned today as well. Technical Director Frank Klopas is taking over.

I will be dumbfounded if Vermes is still Sporting's coach prior to or after their home opener on June 9.

Well this is embarrassing...

Aside from Donovan out sick and Bradley sitting Dempsey, the squad looks slow, flat, and unmotivated. I'd rather have Charlie Davies injured in the front over Altidore at this point.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived