2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Nats are now over .500. How do they celebrate?

Riggleman resigns.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Well that is kind of surprising. However, I presume that there is or was an ongoing internal conflict between GM Rizzo and Riggleman, which fans will known more about once, if any, information becomes available.

Apparently Riggleman quit due to a contract issue (he felt the Nats should've exercised the option on his contract sooner) with the front office. IMO, that's extremely selfish of Riggleman to just quit like that. Even more bizarre considering that he jumped ship during the hottest streak the team has had since they arrived in Washington. I guess he wanted to be the anti-Edwin Rodriguez. :blink:

So let me get this straight, the Nats embark on an eight game winning streak and follow that up by sweeping Seattle, yet this knucklehead thought he could cash in on their flash in the pan success? Mind you Riggleman's track record with the Nats wasn't all that:

3 years, 311 G, 133 W, 172 L, .447%

GTFO, you worm!

What a selfish prick, no matter how much he wanted that extension he should've never quit on the team and fans like that. I hope that this moron never gets a job in the MLB again.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

:lol:

Jim Riggleman is NOT a good baseball manager and was extremely lucky to have a gig like the one he has in Washington, where he was actually wanted. Back to third base or A-ball for him!

6uXNWAo.png

To be fair Riggleman could be fired at a moment's notice depending on how the team does anyway. Why does he owe Washington loyalty when there's no guarantee the club would reciprocate it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What a selfish prick, no matter how much he wanted that extension he should've never quit on the team and fans like that. I hope that this moron never gets a job in the MLB again.

You really don't understand how the real world works yet, do you? A man's beliefs and job satisfaction count way more than the team and the fans. If you don't like your management, don't like coming to work every day (because of your deal or whatever other reasons), and have leverage (which is debatable in this case, but he apparently felt he did), then you make your move. Once your bet is called, you don't show your bluff, or you lose any bargaining power and credibility you might have in the future.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am shocked. But I am with you guys about Riggleman. They were not going to fire him this year. If we kept up our current pace he couldve gotten more than his contract option picked up. Utterly selfish of him. Goodbye. Like Tank I hope its Davey Johnson that takes over for him but I'm not sure he wants the gig but we'll see.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I am shocked. But I am with you guys about Riggleman. They were not going to fire him this year. If we kept up our current pace he couldve gotten more than his contract option picked up. Utterly selfish of him. Goodbye. Like Tank I hope its Davey Johnson that takes over for him but I'm not sure he wants the gig but we'll see.

Supposedly he's wanted to meet with the Nationals' owner on several occasions about that option and was rebuffed every time. As in, he didn't even get the meeting. If you can't even get a meeting when you have the team on it's best run of success since year one in DC, I'm not quite sure that option is a lock to be picked up.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You really don't understand how the real world works yet, do you? A man's beliefs and job satisfaction count way more than the team and the fans. If you don't like your management, don't like coming to work every day (because of your deal or whatever other reasons), and have leverage (which is debatable in this case, but he apparently felt he did), then you make your move. Once your bet is called, you don't show your bluff, or you lose any bargaining power and credibility you might have in the future.

But we're talking about a sports fan. It's about emotion and feelings. Nothing wrong with what kcchiefsfan said.

Reacting to Bill from Accounting quitting is a lot different than reacting to the coach or manager of your team quitting.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

But we're talking about a sports fan. It's about emotion and feelings. Nothing wrong with what kcchiefsfan said.

Reacting to Bill from Accounting quitting is a lot different than reacting to the coach or manager of your team quitting.

Reacting? Sure, of course it's different. But even a SPORTS!!! fan has to be able to put himself in someone else's shoes once in a while and realize that while the game is just something for them to sit their fat asses down on a couch and watch for a few hours before they go and jerk off to the Sports Illustrated posters on their walls, for him, it's a job, and probably even more so than for a regular 9-to-5'er, his life.

There's probably more to the story than what's been let out. Either way, he clearly didn't feel like he deserved to be a lame duck, and felt disrespected by his bosses. That's a tough spot to be in.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Nats are now over .500. How do they celebrate?

Riggleman resigns.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Well that is kind of surprising. However, I presume that there is or was an ongoing internal conflict between GM Rizzo and Riggleman, which fans will known more about once, if any, information becomes available.

I don't think this was what you meant by the "Break Up the Nats" quote over the weekend, huh? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

The retirement is shocking, but if Riggleman wasn't in Rizzo's plans for the team when they're competitive (which they should be by 2013), then letting him walk is fine. I just hope Rizzo is able to use this opportunity to get a manager he wants for the long term.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

It sounds like John MacLaren will be the manager until they can convince Davey Johnson to manage till the end of the season. From what I'm reading there was alot of guys in the clubhouse that didnt like Riggleman and he felt they tried to undermine him cause he only had a 1 year contract. I guess I can see where hes coming from, its just lousy to ditch your team when theyre going so well. Hopefully they find the right baseball man to take this team over the top, cause I'm not sure Riggleman wouldve been the guy, but I had hoped.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I was actually watching the Nats game earlier today and heard the announcers praising how good of a job Riggleman had done with the club.

This seemed to be something that was very avoidable. Details may or may not emerge but I'm having a tough time recalling a situation where a coach or manager quit mid-season over a contract dispute.

Archived