San Diego Padres rebrand

Shumway

For those of you who missed it, I've been updating some mascots recently. Okay, so I've only done one so far, but here's a second. I've been wanting to update the San Diego Padres' padre logo for a while now, and I finally buckled down and came up with something. Specifically, I didn't like his face. I wanted to create a face that could be used as an alternate cap or chest logo. I didn't have any real issue with the padre's body, so I left that relatively unchanged, although I cleaned it up a bit. Obviously, I reverted back to brown for the Pads. I couldn't decide on yellow or orange, so I went in-between, slightly more yellow. Well, here goes....

Padres_1.png

Uniforms will follow....I'm still working out some details in the wordmark. Hit me with any comments.

Yes. Nothing else needs to be said.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

First off, that friar looks an awful lot like the guy in your icon, Steve...which is to say, the friar looks an awful lot like you. :P

Second, I think if you could find some way to work some shadow/highlight into that robe, it would add a lot more "life" to this logo.

But even without it, that's one helluva good cleanup job, there. Thumbs up from over here.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

First off, that friar looks an awful lot like the guy in your icon, Steve...which is to say, the friar looks an awful lot like you. :P

Beat me to it. First thing I thought of.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Thanks for the comments so far, fellas. I guess it does kind of look like "me" in logo-form, but that's chalked up to my drawing style. I naturally draw in a cartoony way, so most of my stuff turns out this way. As for the feet of the Padre...I totally agree that they're funky looking. However, when I tried giving him more natural looking feet, I just didn't like it. I think the big feet are necessary.

As promised, I've got some uniforms done. Essentially, I kept these as simple as I could. One of the unique things about the Padres back in the day was that they were the only team with an entirely lowercase wordmark. One of my goals was to keep this going, but after a number of tries to add outlines and bevels and whatever else, I just decided to stick with the classic, round letters. As for the road and alts, they're an homage to one of my favorite Padre sets, but I really don't care for pinstriped road uniforms. I kept the sand alternate because, well, I like them, especially with brown and yellow. I liked the "SD" on the chest so much, that I ran with it for the alternates. The only change, other than the color of the jerseys is the sleeve logo. Rather than the full body, I went with just the Padre face, which was the primary focus of the entire concept.

Padres_Home.png

Padres_Road.png

Padres_Alt1.png

Padres_Alt2.png

Great job on the logo, and the uniforms are solid too. However, in the first post, you said that you wanted to create a face that could be used as a cap or chest logo, but you didn't do that.

So, I would put the padre head on the brown cap, put the "padres" wordmark on the yellow jersey, and put the full body on the alternates' sleeves. Then you have one "SD" on each uniform (hat or chest), the full body on the sleeves, and the head prominently featured on the road unis. I feel like this would create more continuity in the set and better achieve your goal.

Also, the sleeve logo should be on the other sleeve.

Looks like he's either holding the bat half way up, or the handle is really thick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love everything about these. I like the feet and way they're kind of pigeon toed inward as if he's been spinning around with a bat for a while. My only complaint would be that I dont think the head alone makes for much of a logo for the sleeve like you have on the bottom jersey, but all in all this nicely done. It's the colors the Padres need to go back to.

Since you have done the Mets' and Padres' full body logos... any chance in getting a new Chief Wahoo in?

2269.gif

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I love everything you have on the road. I'd buy that road hat in a heartbeat. The brown jersey would be the best alt in the league. I think this concept would be perfect if you swapped out the yellow in favor of orange.

The only issue I have is the home hat and I REALLY hope that the different colored front panel look does not get back on the field.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Perfect...the logo, the colors, the unis...all perfect!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I love this concept, but agree that the full-body logo works better than the stand-alone head. This is the direction the Padres need to go.

Agreed.

This concept also reminded me of an article I saw on ESPN.com, but somehow hadn't read yet, about baseball's use of cartoon-like logos. The article includes another list ranking MLB's logos as well.

Archived