First Post - Islanders Alt. Concept

Gordie

damn....that's what a first post is all about.....sweet template, sweet logo, sweet execution, sweet jesus.....heavens to murgatroid, even, me likey very much.

welcome, gordie! i can't wait to see more.

Damn.

The double threat!

Both a great concept, AND astute observations rendered as jokes, all in a first post!

Excellent job on both, sir. And welcome. B)

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Doooood.

It's well known I'm not a general fan of powder blue jerseys. But this rocks. There are some things I'd do differently--that lighthouse logo would make a great crest, and the boat removed from that circle would also make a good crest, or a good shoulder logo--but it's a great concept.

Only thing that looks really odd is an italic, somewhat tall name font with a non-italic, short number font.

Nice work.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

i'll just tell ya: i like this...the ship doesn't really make me think of teh Isles, however...it makes me think of a poorly run basketball team in LaLaLand :D

not that the ship sucks, it just doesn't invoke "Islanders" to me. The lighthouse makes more sense, and i think it would make for a better crest. overall, way to make your debutt :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Gordie,

Overall I think this is great, the only problem I have is the powder blue with the team name in a circle around the crest reminds me too much of the original Penguins (or at least early version, maybe not original).

It just looks too much like the Islanders are going Penguin retro....

I like this concept. My only suggestions would be regarding the font used for name and numbers. I would suggest a slightly taller font for the numbers and a slightly narrower font for the names. Otherwise, I think this is a great concept. :woot:

That has to be the most original, best, kick-ass "New York Islanders" concept I've ever seen. That's what concepts are all about. I'm glad we have guys like you around!

Simply Beautiful! :welcome:

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Welcome to the boards. GREAT CONCEPT! Now just one question...where can I get the texture?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Thanks for all the kind words. Praise from the masters. :notworthy: ( tail wagging )

Here's a bit of an explanation of the concept:

Long Island was once a major ship-building and whaling centre. In the age of sail, Sag Harbour rivalled NYC for maritime traffic. That's why I used the sailing ship, and I encircled it with the text to give it a traditional look. There are 4 stars in the encircling ring to represent the Islanders' Stanley Cup victories.

I tried using the Ship alone as a crest, but it looked too simple, and I was too lazy to render it in more detail.

I thought the powder blue was the best colour to represent water, and I threw a bit of a wave into the stripes.

The name/numbers/logos are oversized for clarity.

Mockba - Thanks for the fresh eyes. I took a look, and you're dead right about the name/number discrepancy. I kept tweaking the logos, but I stopped paying attention to the text at some point.

Puckguy14 - The sweater texture is from NHL 2002 I think. ( It's from a video game uniform template anyways )

Holy fluff! I hate the Isles (diehard Ranger fan, myself) but I have to say I'd buy one of these simply because it's an awesome jersey. When I saw this was your first post, before clicking on the link, I was all ready to laugh at how bad it would be. Instead, it turned out to be one of the best things I've ever seen on these boards. Welcome aboard and keep it up!

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Do we have Nitro's successor here?!? Seriously, this is the best first concept I have ever seen, including my own. I'm going to guess that you lurked here for a while, figured out what we liked and disliked, worked on this concept for more than the fifteen minutes that I do, and took a huge swing at all the people who first post in the requests board. I do believe you'll fit in just fine. :welcome:

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

puckcool22 -

It's a Corel Draw file. It's on my other computer, so I'll convert it to .ai tonight and send it tomorrow along with the .cdr file and an .eps because I'm not sure which one will convert to Illustrator the best. Just the logo, right?

KEWL! I never thought about the shipping heritage of Long Island, but that would make an excellent logo for all their uniforms!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived