Colts Going Retro

sj32

Although we have known most of the details of this for a couple of months, an article in today's Indianapolis Star confirms most of our suspicions. The Colts will darken their blue slightly (according to the story, you need to hold a 2004 jersey next to a 2003 to tell the difference). They will go back to grey facemasks and they will wear black shoes.

This may be the first example of a team going more retro on what is already a retro concept.

The color is nice (I don't notice much change, but it does look nice). The face masks suck.

Having grey facemasks in this day and age, when it is not one of your colors is STUPID. The Cards have problems galore with their stuff, but they should either change facemasks, or incorporate grey in their design. The Giants look awesome with their facemask because grey is the color of their pants. The Colts suck with it.

Wow. I didn't really think Peyton's helmet could look worse (I hate the new helmets, and he has the worst facemask ever), but the Colts found a way.

Consistency should rule over a fake return to "tradition". Since when is a blue facemask "modern" and undesireable?

i dont know why they thought grey facemasks would have been a good idea...i mean, why not go back to the old white ones that they had for a while like in 80s(?) that woulda looked way better than that crappy grey.

qvAvG.jpg

So, they will be only changing the socks on Thanksgiving Day (11/25) at Detroit, hmmm?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Well, I love the change to the darker blue, but I'm not a fan of the gray facemasks... but really it doesn't matter to me. I would like to see that old-style number font... THEN it would be classic.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I have been very against this since I heard about it, but seeing the pic of Manning, it actually doesn't look all that bad, or at least as bad as I thought. Granted, the blue facemask still looks waaaaaay better, but I think I'll be able to tolerate this. Just so I'm clear, this "darker" blue will still be a royal blue, and not navy, correct? That is ALL the NFL needs, another navy team. :mad: and for the love o' Unitas, if they are gonna make all these changes, why in the Hayward Johnson wouldn't they bring the striped socks back?? (I'm assuming they're not because of a comment I read in this post earlier, if they are I'm sorry and I feel like an ass.)

"I have been very against this since I heard about it, but seeing the pic of Manning, it actually doesn't look all that bad, or at least as bad as I thought. Granted, the blue facemask still looks waaaaaay better, but I think I'll be able to tolerate this. Just so I'm clear, this 'darker' blue will still be a royal blue, and not navy, correct? That is ALL the NFL needs, another navy team." :mad:"And for the love o' Unitas, if they are gonna make all these changes, why in the Hayward Johnson wouldn't they bring the striped socks back? (I'm assuming they're not because of a comment I read in this post earlier, if they are I'm sorry and I feel like an @$$.)"

They will bring the striped socks back for the game at Detroit November 25th (Thanksgiving Day) as they will wear replicas of the 1958 uniforms against the Lions.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

...again, to be clear:

Indianapolis Colts Colors (2004 through present):

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS DARK ROYAL BLUE

Indianapolis Colts Colors (2002 through 2003):

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS ROYAL BLUE

Indianapolis Colts Colors (2000 through 2001):

Indianapolis Colts Colors (1984 through 1999):

This is what I've collected in my research...

Archived