Is Atlanta Burning?

rams80

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, from what I gather, Greg Sherman is a company guy. He worked for the retail side of things for a long time (he was my wifes boss for a time) and somehow worked his way up to GM of the whole thing. I dont know how much hands Pierre Lacroix has on the whole operation but the Avs are certainly not the organization they once were.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Basically the theory is that the NHL has done so much to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix that Bettman won't let them move because he'll look like an idiot if they do after the fight he's put up to keep them there.

He's also yanked Winnipeg's chain long enough though, and the True North conglomerate that wants to bring a team to the MTS Centre is headed up by a legitimate billionaire, someone the NHL wouldn't mind having among their ownership ranks. So they sell the Thrashers off to True North, Winnipeg gets a team, and the NHL saves face in Glendale.

This is completely illogical, as the Thrashers aren't nearly as bad off as the Coyotes are, so it's exactly the type of thing Bettman and his marry band of idiots would do.

A likely scenario, but it hasn't stopped being illegal for Boots Del Hulsizer to buy the Coyotes with a grant from the taxpayers, and the league isn't relenting on its overinflated sale price that necessitates said grant (which is only-the-goddamned-NHL-worthy, because this entire Goldwater mess could be obviated by selling him the team at their market value of about $40 million and taking a $100 million bath for the right to fail where they see fit, which is why they bought the team in the first place, if you still remember when Jim Balsillie was trying to move the team to Hamilton), so I don't see how the Thrashers are going to beat the Coyotes to Winnipeg. And as much of a Winnipeg booster as I've been from day one of this fiasco (I was never in favor of a Hamilton team), even I think the entire idea of two teams jockeying for a mid-sized city in North Dakota Bonus Coverage is absurdly implausible.

But anyway, it sounds like there are indeed Atlanta groups trying to buy all the Spirit properties, so lots of luck with that one. Even if they have their crap together better than the Spirit group, they're not going to make greater Atlanta stop being an unnavigable asphalt spiderweb that nobody wants to reckon with on a Wednesday night.

You may not have been in favour of Hamilton, but geez, Balsillie's $210 million no strings attached except I get to move the team offer sure looks nice now. Also, it's pretty indicative of the NHL's current sorry state if a mid-sized city in North Dakota bonus coverage is more financially stable/viable then large sun-belt metropolitan areas.

Also, this is a serious flaw, if the NHL is indeed trying to appease Winnipeg with the Thrashers while trying to salvage the Coyotes. Winnipeg as an option or not, the Hulsizer deal is still illegal. Oh well. There's always Portland and Quebec City.

Somewhat more seriously, why is Atlanta seen as such a commodity in pro sports?

In case it hasn't been answered elsewhere in this thread, I'll answer that question: MONEY.

Atlanta's fan base is casual, but it is corporate. Coca-Cola's only the best known of a fairly long and impressive lists of corporations who a professional sports franchise can tap into for ticket sales, suite sales, cross-marketing opportunities and promotions, and of course corporate sponsorship packages. If I were launching a new pro sports league, Atlanta would be in the top 5 among cities where emphasis would be placed on having a franchise, solely on that basis alone.

nav-logo.png

Again, it isn't like the NFL, where in all but a few markets, Lucifer himself could be writing the checks, and 80,000 would still come out.

But the Raiders only drew 46,431 on average last year, last in the league.

Re-read my post.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Somewhat more seriously, why is Atlanta seen as such a commodity in pro sports?

In case it hasn't been answered elsewhere in this thread, I'll answer that question: MONEY.

Atlanta's fan base is casual, but it is corporate. Coca-Cola's only the best known of a fairly long and impressive lists of corporations who a professional sports franchise can tap into for ticket sales, suite sales, cross-marketing opportunities and promotions, and of course corporate sponsorship packages. If I were launching a new pro sports league, Atlanta would be in the top 5 among cities where emphasis would be placed on having a franchise, solely on that basis alone.

Even though the corporate sector still has finite resources for advertising and amusement, and is probably overextended between football, baseball, basketball, and college teams? The Thrashers aren't losing $25 million a year because they can't fill the upper deck with family four-packs. It takes massive shortcomings in all departments to post that kind of loss, including corporate revenue streams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You may not have been in favour of Hamilton, but geez, Balsillie's $210 million no strings attached except I get to move the team offer sure looks nice now. Also, it's pretty indicative of the NHL's current sorry state if a mid-sized city in North Dakota bonus coverage is more financially stable/viable then large sun-belt metropolitan areas.

Also, this is a serious flaw, if the NHL is indeed trying to appease Winnipeg with the Thrashers while trying to salvage the Coyotes. Winnipeg as an option or not, the Hulsizer deal is still illegal. Oh well. There's always Portland and Quebec City.

I've seen Portland's name brought into the mix several times recently ? both here and on ESPN ? and it always makes me curious.

I assume Portland's seen as attractive because it has a modern arena (the Rose Garden) in a market with only one franchise from a big-four league (the Trail Blazers).

But to my knowledge, nobody has ever expressed interest in owning a franchise here, and there aren't any candidates that immediately come to mind. While an NHL team would provide another tenant for the Rose Garden, I doubt Paul Allen wants the Blazers to compete with an NHL team what is already a limited pool of corporate sponsorship dollars.

Must be one of those "looks good on paper" scenarios.

Paul Allen lost all interest in owning a hockey team once he bought the Seahawks.

There's really no one else, except maybe Nike or Gus Van Zant, that might have the money in Portland to bring a team to town.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Basically the theory is that the NHL has done so much to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix that Bettman won't let them move because he'll look like an idiot if they do after the fight he's put up to keep them there.

Why change a habit of a lifetime? ;)

He's also yanked Winnipeg's chain long enough though, and the True North conglomerate that wants to bring a team to the MTS Centre is headed up by a legitimate billionaire, someone the NHL wouldn't mind having among their ownership ranks. So they sell the Thrashers off to True North, Winnipeg gets a team, and the NHL saves face in Glendale.

This is completely illogical, as the Thrashers aren't nearly as bad off as the Coyotes are, so it's exactly the type of thing Bettman and his marry band of idiots would do.

Surely the Winnipeg Thrashers would certainly get folks in Quebec excited? After all, if the Atlanta sale is a done deal, the situation in Arizona could still turn sour, and if there's nothing left to keep them in the state, then they'd need a new home...

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

So, to recap:

1) fans won't settle for anything less than a contender with good ownership

2) Philips Arena is a woefully inconvenient destination for suburban fans

3) the Coca-Cola money fountain is tapped out on sponsoring the Braves, Falcons, and college sports in Georgia

And we're going to make this work how?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Paul Allen lost all interest in owning a hockey team once he bought the Seahawks.

Paul Allen lost all interest in owning a hockey team when the NHL dicked him around in the late '90s expansion.

Supposedly the Portland bid and the Minnesota bid each missed a deadline; Minnesota was forgiven while Portland wasn't. Allen then decided he didn't want to be involved in a league like that anyway and went and bought the Seahawks instead.

• 4 weeks later...

There's totally a huge hockey void in the American Northwest. No Seattle or Portland. And I'm pretty sure both city's WHL teams have been well-supported for years.

Very surprised there's never been real interest in the markets.

Any one from Washington or Oregon in here? Who do you root for? Canucks? Sharks? Kings?

sig.png

There's totally a huge hockey void in the American Northwest. No Seattle or Portland. And I'm pretty sure both city's WHL teams have been well-supported for years.

The NHL has stated they want a team in Seattle. They're just waiting for a new arena to be built.

One of the people that wants to save the Thrashers.... Tom Glavine

http://www.theglobea...article1994693/

I didn't even know he was drafted by the LA Kings in 1984, who would have known one of Atlanta's best pitchers, played hockey?

You're clearly a youngster. This is common knowledge - you couldn't watch a game with him pitching and not hear about it. I think I even saw clips of him playing hockey on TWIB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Any one from Washington or Oregon in here? Who do you root for? Canucks? Sharks? Kings?

On behalf of Seattle, we don't root for anyone. There is zero Canucks presence here. And to be honest, I don't think this market is begging for an NHL team. The WHL Thunderbirds did okay at KeyArena, but since they've moved to the suburbs, they might as well not exist.

I don't think there's a latent demand for NHL hockey in Seattle. NBA, certainly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I know it's likely a pipe dream, but a team in Portland would be pretty cool. And hey, Portland has actually has almost won the Stanley Cup before... then they moved to Chicago.

Not quite. The players were sold to the expansion Chicago Black Hawks but they are two separate franchises.

On behalf of Seattle, we don't root for anyone. There is zero Canucks presence here. And to be honest, I don't think this market is begging for an NHL team. The WHL Thunderbirds did okay at KeyArena, but since they've moved to the suburbs, they might as well not exist.

I don't think there's a latent demand for NHL hockey in Seattle. NBA, certainly.

Please do not speak on behalf of Seattle. :P The Canucks are the only NHL team to actually get recaps and articles published in the Seattle Times. It's certainly not like reading the Province but there is wire coverage here. Also, I know of at least a few Seattle residents who are Canucks season ticket holders. If you put an NHL team here (not saying you should) I wouldn't expect Sounders-like fanaticism but you are talking about a region with 8 WHL teams within a 7-hour radius, 5 in Washington and Oregon.

As to the Thunderbirds, they are doing much better at ShoWare Center than they did the last half-decade at the Key. While they may be non-existent to you, they were one of a handful of WHL teams to post an attendance increase this year, and that was with a team that didn't make the playoffs last year or this year.

As to TLPH's question, I am a Bruins fan but I would be that no matter where I was from. My girlfriend, however, is a Sharks fan for a couple reasons, one of which is Seattle-related. Patrick Marleau of San Jose played his junior hockey in Seattle and she became a hockey fan around that time. She followed him when he went on to the NHL and her love for the Sharks went from there. She's even converted me a little bit but if it came down to it in the Final, I'd be wearing black and gold not teal and white.

Archived