Alternate uniforms that are better than the primaries

Lights Out

If memory serves, the Mets cream pinstripes that were introduced last year were alternates; since even cream pinstripes are better than their boring "snow whites," I'll go with them.

alg_davis_runs.jpg

And I'm probably in the minority, but I like the NY Rangers alternates more than their home blues.

450x362-alg_rangers_teammates.jpg

Right with you on both counts. The Mets should be wearing pinstripes full time (whether on a cream or a white uniform), and the Rangers should make that their permanent alternate as opposed to a one-season throwback (I actually slightly prefer it to their current home jersey, but that blue jersey has so much history, and is so great on its own, that I wouldn't change it from being the primary).

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If memory serves, the Mets cream pinstripes that were introduced last year were alternates; since even cream pinstripes are better than their boring "snow whites," I'll go with them.

alg_davis_runs.jpg

And I'm probably in the minority, but I like the NY Rangers alternates more than their home blues.

Right with you on both counts. The Mets should be wearing pinstripes full time (whether on a cream or a white uniform), and the Rangers should make that their permanent alternate as opposed to a one-season throwback (I actually slightly prefer it to their current home jersey, but that blue jersey has so much history, and is so great on its own, that I wouldn't change it from being the primary).

Hate the vintage white, its so trendy and unnecessary. If they had used regular white and royal blue this would have been a nicely executed throwback. Instead it falls under the category of trendy cashin.

Okay seriously, cream is awful.

Anyway, for the topic at hand, my preferences by league:

NBA

Blazers reds

Heat reds

Pacers golds

Clippers blues (from the previous set, should have used blue for the primary this time)

Nuggets dark blues

Hornets golds

MLB

Red Sox dark blues

Royals blues

A's golds

Angels reds

Rangers reds and blues

Padres blues (those sand jerseys were hideous)

NFL

Bengals oranges

Dolphins oranges

Falcons blacks

Texans reds

alg_davis_runs.jpg

Hate the vintage white, its so trendy and unnecessary. If they had used regular white and royal blue this would have been a nicely executed throwback. Instead it falls under the category of trendy cashin.

If they used regular white and royal bue, that jersey would just be a slightly different version of their home jersey. The great color scheme of the NYR throwbacks is what makes the jersey.

But I also generally like cream (love when baseball teams wear cream, though I'm actually only lukewarm on it with the Mets because that blue and orange doesn't go as well with the cream), so I'm naturally going to like a traditional, relatively simple jersey with cream trim on it

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Yeah I think it looks good... It doesn't really look like something Kansas would wear, so I understand the outrage of the fans. But the uniform itself looks pretty damn good I think.

90758391980.gif

alg_davis_runs.jpg

If they used regular white and royal blue, that jersey would just be a slightly different version of their home jersey. The great color scheme of the NYR throwbacks is what makes the jersey.

But I also generally like cream (love when baseball teams wear cream, though I'm actually only lukewarm on it with the Mets because that blue and orange doesn't go as well with the cream), so I'm naturally going to like a traditional, relatively simple jersey with cream trim on it

The problem I have is that it's a heritage jersey that uses colours the rangers have never worn in their near 100 year history. Using navy and cream makes it fauxback.

The problem I have is that it's a heritage jersey that uses colours the rangers have never worn in their near 100 year history. Using navy and cream makes it fauxback.

Have the Rangers ever claimed it to be anything but?

They do have more than a little history with navy - better part of a decade, in fact:

Leetch1.jpg

Have the Rangers ever claimed it to be anything but?

They do have more than a little history with navy - better part of a decade, in fact:

Leetch1.jpg

That jersey is infinitely superior to the Heritage one. It would be so easy to adapt to the Edge template too.

Although I prefer the true white, I cannot agree. I never liked the Lady Liberty logo, not because the logo itself is bad but because I don't like the "NYR" initials. And the shoulder patches are a huge downgrade from the regular logo, a needless "update."

It could be great, but it's not. I vastly prefer the current alt (or at least I will when they pull the shoulder patch off).

Although I prefer the true white, I cannot agree. I never liked the Lady Liberty logo, not because the logo itself is bad but because I don't like the "NYR" initials. And the shoulder patches are a huge downgrade from the regular logo, a needless "update."

It could be great, but it's not. I vastly prefer the current alt (or at least I will when they pull the shoulder patch off).

But they had to add the "NYR" or the logo would look too ambiguous, like a jersey you would buy for $60 at a Staten Island giftshop. What would you have suggested for the Rangers identifier? I guess it would look better if they spelled out "Rangers" underneath.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This is a controversial set, but I think these are so much better than the primaries.

carson-palmer-si.jpg

You beat me to it! Best combination they have right now. And like someone said earlier, the white side panel needs to go, on this one and the black one.

This is actually one of the few "different colored " side panels I don't mind. Many times, the white of a Bengal extends halfway up its side.

Look at this little feller:

Tiger_panthera_tigris_tigris_Bengal.jpg

Maybe so, but on a football uniform, it looks terrible. The white side panel hardly fits with the rest of the jersey itself (black or orange) and then the panel runs into... tiger stripes? Just awful.

But they had to add the "NYR" or the logo would look too ambiguous, like a jersey you would buy for $60 at a Staten Island giftshop. What would you have suggested for the Rangers identifier? I guess it would look better if they spelled out "Rangers" underneath.

You solved it yourself - "RANGERS" would have been an improvement, if they had to keep the rest of the logo.

You solved it yourself - "RANGERS" would have been an improvement, if they had to keep the rest of the logo.

I can't figuire out for the life of me whats wrong with the "NYR" initials on the Liberty crest. The logo already does a great job of representing the civic aspect of the team and the "NYR" ties it all together in a clean, concise manner. Spelling out "Rangers" would significantly convolute design. I also don't get the hate for the shoulder patch. All they did was stylize the primary logo to match the liberty crest. I wouldn't ever want to see it on the front of a jersey but as a shoulder patch, it works fine.

roddy-white.jpg

john-abraham.jpg

Boy, you sure do love that black jersey, don't you?

Never did a thing for me. I don't love the red especially, but I prefer it to the black. To me the black somehow looks both drab and over-designed at the same time.

Now, if the Falcons want to go with a black jersey, they need to go with the throwbacks. Atlanta's throwback may be my current favorite uniform at any level of any sport. I can't get over how perfect a 60's design could fit on an updated uniform cut.

Archived