NFL "Colored" Fields

RedRenesis

I like it. A lot. And I believe opposition to unconventional fields is rooted in hidebound fuddy-duddyism.

Then again, so are the PTB in the NFL.

And I believe throwing out unsupportable broad-brush insults is rooted in adolescent immaturity. :P

For the record, my own opposition to "unconventional" (= mostly ugly) fields is that 99% of them are hideous. It literally hurts the eyes to try and watch games on fields like Boise State's and ESU's, and it's a major distraction from the whole reason anyone is watching to begin with, that being the action on the field.

I respect your opinion, but if you are concerned with "unsupportable" statements, it doesn't seem wise to state "it literally hurts the eyes to try and watch games on field's like Boise State's..."

I know for a fact that my eyes do not hurt when watching BSU home games. Perhaps yours do. But that seems like a difficulty that would affect a minority of viewers.

Just going by the admittedly unscientific method of what lots of people say when they see those kinds of fields. It would be interesting to see some kind of poll.

Another consideration is the faddish nature of alternately colored fields. How does it play in ten years? Given the cost of replacing the field, an organization is screwed when they tire of it.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and anyways they share a stadium with the Jets. The Jets wouldn't stand for this.

I think its about time...the Jets have gotten away with making the Giants play on a green field for years. Its time the Giants get to make them play on a blue field.

So? It wasn't like it was dark "Jets" green. A lot of blue teams (Bears, Titans, Broncos, etc.) play on green fields. So what? It's the colour of grass.

it was a joke. a pretty good one at that. calm down.

I'm hoping he was trying to out-sarcasm me. If not..... :blink:

selffacepalm.png

Sorry for the use of a facepalm, but there is really no other way to show how stupid I feel. No, it wasn't sarcasm. Oops. But let's pretend it was. B)

25yzwqg.png

Here is the Lions update. First I got to say that I strayed from the premise of the concept a bit with the field color, I originally used the blue straight from the new logo but the field was too bright, so I made the base color the blue from the old logo which I think looks a lot better. Second I had intended to use silver number and yard line outlines but it hardly showed at all against the blue so I went with black.

FICLions.jpg

Any other recommendations, preferably non-blue teams?

Here is the Lions update. First I got to say that I strayed from the premise of the concept a bit with the field color, I originally used the blue straight from the new logo but the field was too bright, so I made the base color the blue from the old logo which I think looks a lot better. Second I had intended to use silver number and yard line outlines but it hardly showed at all against the blue so I went with black.

FICLions.jpg

How about a Saints field in black...white yard lines & numbers, gold endzones and a big 'ol gold fleur de lis at the 50?

gYH2mW9.png

I would like to see a 9er one. red field, light tan lines maybe, or whatever ends up looking best.. tan field whatever.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

FICLions.jpg

How about a Saints field in black...white yard lines & numbers, gold endzones and a big 'ol gold fleur de lis at the 50?

Nice! I like it. A lot.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Next up the Saints. A few points of note, I went with the old Saints gold, given the theme I think it looks better here then using the Vegas gold they currently use. Second, to increase the effect I went with the colored sidelines like is used in colleges. Third, I dont know if it had been picked up on by anyone in the first two concepts, but the main field color is actually a mix of four different shades, I did this to try and achieve some texture for the field and it not be a flat color. The base 'color' for the texture is the team color then the additional three colors are slightly lighter then that to achieve the effect, in this case with black being the base the lighter colors are into the charcoal gray area, which is why the field appears as such, and the black outline of the fleur de lis is still visible.

Overall I'm pleased with it, I think the massive logo works well with the large script in the endzones.

FICSaints.jpg

Coming up the 9ers, which should be interesting.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions on the Saints?

Hmmm.... if anything, black turf would work better for the Raiders, I think. Most prominent team color, and it adds to the intimidation factor.

I'd really like to do a Raiders one for that reason but I would need to find that font that they use for the field numbers to make it work. Anyone know what it is or where to get it?

Hmmm.... if anything, black turf would work better for the Raiders, I think. Most prominent team color, and it adds to the intimidation factor.

The Raiders would not use black turf. It would be tar and chip asphalt...if the fans had a say in it.

87Redskins.png

Eventually MtK threw out the idea of forum members creating a series of colored fields to see what we could come up with, so I said I would create one for the Giants.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Yeah... "MtK" is too close to "BTK," as in the serial killer. :D

That said, the Pittsburgh Steelers (black field w/gold stripe accents), Oakland Raiders (black field w/silver) and Cleveland Browns (brown field) would be interesting.

nav-logo.png

Archived