Possible Change for Arizona State?

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: this whole change thing, I think Gene Hackman said it best in the movie Enemy of the State: "(They're) either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid."

This has potential to be great...or it could potentially be a disaster. Guess we'll see in a couple of days.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yeah, this has been rumored for a while. They're going to switch to a pitchfork on the helmet a la Florida State's spear, and someone mentioned that there was an indication of the long-rumored black jersey in the video, but I didn't see it.

Wow, major downgrade. The current helmets are borderline classic.

I'm actually not against this for a couple of reasons. For one, the current Arizona State Sun Devil logo is...well...controversial. I mean, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I hate when there is controversy with sports branding b/c of forced perceptions, but I understand the change I guess.

Also, I wouldn't mind black. I thought I disliked the black when they added the trim, but I quickly got used to it, and now it doesn't even phase me. Burgundy, Gold, and Black can be a pretty darn good combination...and the color scheme would definitely separate them from USC

Except we're Maroon and Gold, it just seems like adding black for just adding it on like the Lions did a couple years ago. Nowhere in Tempe, West Phoenix or Downtown Phoenix do I ever see Black mixed with the Maroon and Gold. This is going to be a mistake.

The helmet I don't mind. Maybe a new direction we need. Could be a big boost for the team who could have a good year.

Maybe ASU is just making sure that each state in the Pac12 has a school wearing black. Washington has the Huskies' BFBS, Oregon has both schools wearing black (though OSU is not BFBS), and Cali has Stanford with the BFBS. Utah and Colorado wear black too.

It'll be nice when the BFBS trend dies.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Maybe ASU is just making sure that each state in the Pac12 has a school wearing black. Washington has the Huskies' BFBS, Oregon has both schools wearing black (though OSU is not BFBS), and Cali has Stanford with the BFBS. Utah and Colorado wear black too.

It'll just become AFAS at that point. (Anthracite for anthracite's sake.) :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It'll just become AFAS at that point. (Anthracite for anthracite's sake.) :P

So true! :grin:

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm actually going to the event on Saturday, where I've heard rumors they'll be unveiling a new/renovated Sun Devil Stadium, new uniforms for football, new one piece suit for Sparky and a more aggressive funding campaign.

I'll try to grab pictures. I'm really excited about this, but I don't know how I feel about a possible removal of Sparky from the helmet.

Ditto, except I'll be there for work...I'm more excited about the stadium renovations, which are seriously overdue.

I can't wait to see what they have in-store for the stadium either. Do you think they're going to go with a whole new stadium? Or is SDS just going get renovated?

I suspect they're doing the same thing that we are and renovating. I don't think either school can afford a new stadium at this point.

Renovations has been the word lately, although I know for a while there were rumors about building a new stadium but its nowhere near feasible. Paying for renovations will be difficult enough let alone an entirely new stadium.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

There are whispers and rumors flying around the offices...mostly about the unis, but also about Sun Devil Stadium, and a possible redesign of the Sparky mascot (mostly the body).

I'm actually going to the event on Saturday, where I've heard rumors they'll be unveiling a new/renovated Sun Devil Stadium, new uniforms for football, new one piece suit for Sparky and a more aggressive funding campaign.

I'll try to grab pictures. I'm really excited about this, but I don't know how I feel about a possible removal of Sparky from the helmet.

Ditto, except I'll be there for work...I'm more excited about the stadium renovations, which are seriously overdue.

I can't wait to see what they have in-store for the stadium either. Do you think they're going to go with a whole new stadium? Or is SDS just going get renovated?

I'm going Saturday as well. I've heard they are doing a year long renovation of SDS making the open part face towards the north to eliminate the corner that just gets brutal sun in day games. I've also heard cell phones and cameras will have to be checked at the door.

There are whispers and rumors flying around the offices...mostly about the unis, but also about Sun Devil Stadium, and a possible redesign of the Sparky mascot (mostly the body).

You would be right. Talking to someone I know that works closely with the Sun Devils has said that Sparky would get modified for the 21st century

I wish uniforms would stick to the college's school colors. To my knowledge, black isn't one of ASU's colors.

It's Nike. Asking them to stick to normality is like asking the Pope to renounce Catholicism.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm going Saturday as well. I've heard they are doing a year long renovation of SDS making the open part face towards the north to eliminate the corner that just gets brutal sun in day games. I've also heard cell phones and cameras will have to be checked at the door.

The event will be broadcast via web and should be on Fox Sports AZ. More details slowly coming out... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/656220-asu-football-look-good-feel-good-play-good-its-timefor-change

I suppose the fact that a point was made about how cool it was once upon a time that a not-Sparky logo was on the helmet is an indicator that the helmet's going to change...Personally I'd like to see a maroon helmet with the ASU. Might look a little too "Men of Troy," but why should Devil fans care?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I suppose the fact that a point was made about how cool it was once upon a time that a not-Sparky logo was on the helmet is an indicator that the helmet's going to change...Personally I'd like to see a maroon helmet with the ASU. Might look a little too "Men of Troy," but why should Devil fans care?

I care, as a Alumni I wouldn't want to look like USC. I'd rather have the Gold helmet that is somewhat unique in the Pac-12. Having a Maroon Helmet we may as well call ourselves the Minnesota Gophers(we already have their template)

Archived