Baseball uniforms you miss

winghaz

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the pirates would bust out the yellow pillbox caps again.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I am probably in the minority but I loved this set..

Caminiti5.jpg

I agree, I thought those were nice too. The Astros were at a point where that 70's look had to go (it was 1994 for God's sake), and these were a great (although short-lived) transition set to their current look.

i loved that look of Houston. creative and beatiful

wrb141.jpgnbahoopscardszxzx01.png

BaltimoreNewYorkGirl.png

Im Abby.. nice to meet you

Go Os. Capitals. Mets. Ravens. Rangers. Knicks. Butler Bulldogs. Maryland. Kevin Harvick.

I hate the YANKEESS

Rose8.jpg

Dare I say, the best the Reds ever looked? I really like their current look, but that's just everything a Reds uniform should be, to me.

EDIT: Would say this: if the Reds dropped the black drop-shadow from their current uniforms, you'd have a look that would top even this one. The piping and the great font would set it apart from all the rest.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

I actually rather like the Reds' current font. Don't know about the extraneous outlines, but the font itself is quite nice...adds a distictive "old-timey" look, which is pretty apropos for one of if not the oldest team in the bigs. I will say this about the black trim, though: it does make for a good bit of contrast, while also making the entire look seem "modern", if that makes any sense. That said, I do kinda wonder how the Reds would look sans black altogether, especially after staring at the picture of Pete Rose upthread and remembering how the Reds looked even as recently as 1996.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Unfortunately, that look lasted only four seasons for the Reds, before they switched to the pullovers and elastic waistbands in 1972. They could have just left that uniform alone from 1968 to today and had an all-time classic. Teams like the Dodgers and Yankees never abandoned their buttons and belts, and in retrospect, it was the right decision.

As a kid growing up in the 1970s, I loved the pullovers and elastic waists because I thought they were more modern, but looking back, it saddens me that the Reds didn't stick with that 1968-71 look. I'm glad you guys seem to like it as much as I do.

I don't really like that Pete Rose Reds' uniform. Maybe it was okay for its time but I don't think it could work today. I'm all for tradition, but there's a limit to boringness and plainness. Even teams like the Yankees and Tigers have more going on on their jerseys than those old Reds uniforms.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I actually rather like the Reds' current font. Don't know about the extraneous outlines, but the font itself is quite nice...adds a distictive "old-timey" look, which is pretty apropos for one of if not the oldest team in the bigs.

But by virtue of being one of the oldest baseball teams, they should dress like one of the oldest baseball teams, which means using athletic block rather than some overwrought typeface that no one would've thought to use on a baseball uniform 100 years ago. I get what they were going for, but then when you factor in the drop-shadows, it's too anachronistic to make any sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't really like that Pete Rose Reds' uniform. Maybe it was okay for its time but I don't think it could work today. I'm all for tradition, but there's a limit to boringness and plainness. Even teams like the Yankees and Tigers have more going on on their jerseys than those old Reds uniforms.

The "boringness and plainness" seems to be working okay for the Dodgers...

andre_ethier.jpg

And aside from pinstripes or piping, how exactly do the Tigers or Yankees (or Cubs, for that matter) have more going on? Heck, those classics don't even have a number on the front, just a logo...

miguel-cabrera-excited.jpg

arod_jeter.png

ryan-dempster-300x217.jpg

Your Orioles have perhaps my favorite uniform in all of baseball, by the way. I love the re-emphasis on the orange. I'm still mad at the franchise over 1970, but I love those uniforms!

That is the perfect Reds uniform, yeah.

No, the font the Reds use now is not that great for them. It's a bit of a contrivance.

I agree. The Reds had a great font which, despite being a block front, was unique to them for over 30 years. They should have went back to that. The current font looks like a faux throwback font used on menu boards in Frontierland.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've always said the Jays never looked better than they did in '02.

home.gif

road.gif

3rd.gif

And of course the awesome Canada Day jersey:

canada.gif

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

What is the unhealthy obsession with the Padres ugliest uniform they've ever worn on this site? Is it the uniqueness factor that overrides horribly bad taste?

Seriously, I've been wondering the same thing.

Its pretty simple, really. You're both just wrong.

Those uniforms and wordmarks are so dated to the 80's just like powder blue roadies and racing stripes. They were great at the time, but not looks that can stand the test of time and absolutely should be left where they are. The Padres should bring back the brown and gold, just in a newer look or an update of their original uniforms.

Actually, the wordmark used by the Padres from 1978-84 on the jerseys actually dates back to inception in 1969, as it was featured on yearbooks and programs from 1969 to 1984 in some form or fashion, so to say it is dated to the 1980s is a misnomer.

As a huge fan of the pullover jerseys from the early 1970s to the late 1980s (for some teams), I'd love to see the following:

1. Astros - return to orange and navy and feature the 1980s road unis (with the rainbow stripes effect down the sleeves) as both home and road now, except navy belts instead of the large white waistband.

2. Padres - return to the brown and mustard gold and feature the "dated 1980s wordmark" font on both home and road uniforms with pullover jerseys. The Padres AAA team Tucson features the wordmark and it looks great. Bring back the original swinging Padre logo as well. The 1976-77 Padres home jersey was a nice look. I really liked the rarely worn 1978 alternate gold jersey with brown sleeves (a jersey that Mitchell and Ness has NEVER gotten right).

3. Rangers - return to the logo/wordmark used from 1972-81. That was a classic look. Lose the black dropshadowing.

4. Milwaukee - return to the "baseball glove" MB logo (great design), along with pullover jerseys.

6. Cubs - return to the 1984 look, especially the road unis with the pullover blue jerseys.

7. Seattle - Trident M to return. I thought the last pullover renditions that they used prior to the Griffey, Jr. era a good look.

8. Mets - lose the black

9. Pirates - I'm in the minority on this one, but I loved the interchangeable unis worn from 1977-84 with the pillbox caps. I actually liked the gold/black home pinstripes worn from 1977-79, as they also worked well (the jerseys) with the gold pants or black pants.

Some teams look better in button down, IMHO, such as the Yankees, Tigers, Twins, etc.

After suffering through many years of the constant lowering of pants, removal of stirrups (in many cases), larger and larger baggy uniforms, I yearn for the look from 1975-85 for MLB teams.

A few notes:

[1] Astros - I dislike them, but I too liked the blue/gold look from the 90s over the current red-scheme.

[2] Marlins - I LOVED the teal unis and hats they had. I think going away from that was a mistake.

[3] Mets - Definitely need to revert back to pre-black days.

gYH2mW9.png

Archived