Rugby World Cup Jerseys

Davidson

First to be released seems to be the reigning World Champions The Springboks. Rather controversially, for the first time the Bok isnt on the front of the jersey and due to the rules regarding placement of the RWC logo, has been moved to the sleeve. I for one find this very sad. I could see the rationale for removing the Bok for the Protea at the end of apartheid, but changing one of sports most original mascots 15 years and a 2 world cup wins down the line seems silly.

Here are some shots. Its seems that the 4 teams who have won the world championship will again sport a Webb Ellis cup logo on the arm.

boks-rwc-2011.jpg

boks-rwc-2011-2.jpg

boks-rwc-2011-4.jpg

boks-rwc-2011-3.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiji's looks solid. Judging by USA's group I think they can make the quarters

i sure hope you are joking.... canada outclasses us rugby every time they play and canada goes to europe and gets spanked by teams like italy and ireland, no chance the us gets more then one win, maybe over russia

Does Canterbury think their nonsensical piping looks good? It JUST works on the green SA jersey but the gut stripe looks horrible on the white one.

Also, I can't see why the RWC wont use a vertical version of their logo if its to be placed on the chest, looks awkward as is.

sig.png

Fiji's looks solid. Judging by USA's group I think they can make the quarters

No chance. You should beat Russia and in the very unlikely event you beat Italy (who have just turned over the French in Rome), you dont stand a chance against Ireland or Australia.

Best look for an outside quater final place are Scotland, Fiji or Samoa. Wales have lost out to pacific island sides at three of five world cups now and Scotland could turn over England or Argentina.

I am liking the Springboks jersey. Personally for me thats a big upgrade.

And on the US Eagles, they might get a win over Russia, although Russia have, I uderstand, been improving recently. But Australia, Ireland and Italy will all be expecting relatively comfortable wins over the Eagles.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The U.S. Eagles should get a win over Russia. The Italy match will be interesting, as they are fairly similar to the Eagles based on what I've seen from them. They have some talent, moreso in the forwards, but mistakes are what kills them. I think the U.S. has a good chance against Italy, especially if Italy is turnover-prone. Italy also has the potential to destroy the U.S. if they put together a complete game.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kooga has done a pretty good job this year love Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Georgia. Not sure what the point is of making non contrasting alternates though; Australia's is white with a fair bit of yellow while Fiji's light blue isn't much darker than white. Rule should be that uniforms can be easily distinguished when viewed in greyscale.

sig.png

Come on, nobody is watching the game in B/W anymore. As for rugby you need less contrast than in football, basketball or hockey as the offside rules are quite strict. Thus, the players are not mixed through the whole field. In lower German leagues (where I play) thew referees allow even such colours combinations.

183100_10150399929430022_546465021_17244224_410348_n.jpg

True that the game isn't shown in black and white, but similar tones aren't great for people with colour blindness or other visual issues. If a red team plays a green team for example, some people will have troubles picking which side is which especially since a lot of rugby jerseys are predominantly plain coloured. I'm sure that players on the field appreciate being able to clearly differentiate between teammates and opponents as well.

The offside rule might prevent confusion when it comes to standing in a line but rucks and mauls are just as involved as other sports, contrasting colours may help when picking out an arm making an infringement in the ruck or otherwise.

In the case of lower leagues I suppose that there are limited budgets for uniforms so the league has to make do. I know from my experience of watching Rugby as a spectator (mostly rugby league) that its very annoying when teams wear non contrasting colours in close contact situations.

sig.png

Is there any chance that Australia will even wear it's alt? I can't see anyone that clashes with gold (or who at least would clash less with a white alt).

that's what i was thinking, looks to me as a merch jersey at best

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Loving everything that KooGa is doing as far as the jerseys go. Canada looks great!

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Is there any chance that Australia will even wear it's alt? I can't see anyone that clashes with gold (or who at least would clash less with a white alt).

They wouldn't NEED to ever, but they might change jerseys against Ireland or South Africa say. I think I am right in saying that RWC and the IRB insist teams have a change jersey (England never had a change shirt before the 1991 World Cup for instance). So it's not just for merchandising.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived