Cardinals bird hats

kestrel79

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all Cardinal fans love everything Cardinals...

I wish they'd go red hats all the time, change the aways to read "Saint Louis" or "St. Louis" and drop the Sunday hats...

The Homes are baseball perfection however.

The Cardinals still only look right to me in spring training when they wear the normal unis with only red caps.

No, they'd look like the Phillies, the Reds and the Angels.

or the Cardinals.

ozzie-smith-1.jpg

Yeah, sorry. I may just be a Cubs fan but the Angels and Phillies weren't wearing anything like that Cardinals road uniform pictured above back then. And the Reds weren't using black, so the Cards really stood on their own. That might not be the case today, but what exactly is it about wearing a navy cap with a gray uniform that is unique?

The Cardinals still only look right to me in spring training when they wear the normal unis with only red caps.

or the Cardinals.

ozzie-smith-1.jpg

Yeah, sorry. I may just be a Cubs fan but the Angels and Phillies weren't wearing anything like that Cardinals road uniform pictured above back then. And the Reds weren't using black, so the Cards really stood on their own. That might not be the case today, but what exactly is it about wearing a navy cap with a gray uniform that is unique?

It's not about being unique. Not EVERYTHING has to be unique. They started wearing them in 1992 when they went back to button-ups. They're a callback to when they used to only wear navy caps. It's in their history so it's not something they just did to be hip and cool. In fact, in 1992, they were only one of three teams (Tigers and Blue Jays) to use a road cap. Every other team had only one cap, so I guess in a way, they were actually kind of unique. (That was also the year the Phillies switched to their current red set, so them and the Reds at the time were all red on home and road).

lovegame.jpg

Speaking of that Tigers cap...does anyone know if they ever wore the hat above? Its from Costner's dud "For the Love of the Game"

It's the classic D with the orange brim. Tough to tell from the pic though.

They were used in 1994, the first year with that look. Both road caps were used, although I don't know if there was any particular reason why. The next year the D-Tiger road cap was the only one used.

lovegame.jpg

Speaking of that Tigers cap...does anyone know if they ever wore the hat above? Its from Costner's dud "For the Love of the Game"

McCall beat me to it, but I was surprised that they actually got details like that right when I saw the movie. You can buy that road cap still at Mickey's Place.

det94.jpg

lovegame.jpg

McCall beat me to it, but I was surprised that they actually got details like that right when I saw the movie. You can buy that road cap still at Mickey's Place.

det94.jpg

Cool. Thx for the info, always wondered that.

or the Cardinals.

ozzie-smith-1.jpg

It's not about being unique. Not EVERYTHING has to be unique. ...

Then I misinterpreted your "No, they'd look like the Phillies, the Reds and the Angels" post. Good info on the rest. I know they have good reason to wear those caps. All I'm saying is the spring training road look still looks "right" to me. And since they've abandoned that, the bird on bat cap isn't any worse in my mind. I suppose. Well, I'd rather it be a BP. If it were my team. :)

or the Cardinals.

ozzie-smith-1.jpg

It's not about being unique. Not EVERYTHING has to be unique. ...

Then I misinterpreted your "No, they'd look like the Phillies, the Reds and the Angels" post.

I never said they wore the road hats to be unique. They wear them because they're in their history. So as I said, not everything has to be unique. I said they should wear them cuz it helps separate them, that doesn't automatically mean I'm saying the are unique. Other teams wear navy caps with their road uniforms. Red Sox wear a similar hat and before the new roads had similar uniform coloring to the Cardinals. So it's not unique but it does help separate them from the other all red teams.

lovegame.jpg

They were used in 1994, the first year with that look. Both road caps were used, although I don't know if there was any particular reason why. The next year the D-Tiger road cap was the only one used.

The plain orange D cap worn by Costner in that photo was the original road cap, as introduced over the winter, prior to the 1994 season. As the season approached, it was announced that they wanted the cap to instead feature the new prowling tiger logo. However, they wore the plain D for roughly the first month of the season before permanently switching to the prowling tiger logo. The two versions of the story I heard at the time as to why were: (1) They needed to sell through enough of the original caps before switching to a new one. (2) They just couldn't get them manufactured in time for the season's start given the last-minute decision to switch. Number 2 sounds more likely to me, but these things were far more arbitrary back then, so who knows?

• 1 month later...

ap-201105101448533278550.jpg

This picture would look even worse if he had been wearing the Sunday hat!

And since he isn't wearing the alternate hat, what was the point of the photo other than to bag on someone for something they can't help?

Especially with all the actual merit based reasons to bag on Tony.

Archived