How popular is Lacrosse in your city/area?

bigbean24

I was wondering how popular lacrosse is across America. Yes, I know its on the rise all over but I want to know about your specific area.

In Minnesota the Swarm are very popular and in the paper a few weeks ago I read that it is the fastest growing sport in schools in Minnesota.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very popular in Maryland among the wealthier folks (which I'm not a part of). In my area it almost has the exclusivity of golf, if that makes sense. In my high school the only kids who played it or took interest in it were the rich snobby types. Not to knock the sport itself at all, but I'm just speaking from my experience.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Live on Long Island and Lacrosse is treated like the best thing since sliced bread. Sucks for Baseball enthusiasts like myself. :(

2ry0jsl.jpg

Fast. Hard. Finish.

Live on Long Island and Lacrosse is treated like the best thing since sliced bread. Sucks for Baseball enthusiasts like myself. :(

Try living in Anne Arundel County. It is literally the lacrosse capital of the world. You can't find a place in the world more obsessed with lacrosse. They even have this giant store in Annapolis called LaxWorld. It's about as big as your everyday Dick's or Modell's, maybe bigger. It's almost like Cooperstown is to baseball, except the sport isn't big enough yet. But if they were to make a Cooperstown of lacrosse, it would be right here in AA County.

25yzwqg.png

Don't worry I feel for ya. To me baseball is dying but I still love it.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Not so much in my city, but on our local Native Reservation it's (obviously) HUGE!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I was wondering how popular lacrosse is across America. Yes, I know its on the rise all over but I want to know about your specific area.

In Minnesota the Swarm are very popular and in the paper a few weeks ago I read that it is the fastest growing sport in schools in Minnesota.

The biggest thing that frustrates me is that high school rugby has been played longer in Minnesota yet lacrosse boomed out of nowhere and become a sanctioned high school sport. I understand the similarities to hockey and that is probably why it took off like it did. Rugby is getting little support due to its rough nature even though Minnesota is one of the more competitive rugby states in America. To answer your question, I think lacrosse is still a niche sport in MN. I am from St. Paul and have never been to a Swarm game nor do I plan on ever going. Coverage in Minnesota is sporadic and I never hear anyone talk about the Swarm.

Where i was born it is pretty popular in the snobbier circles, but it is getting more popular with the introduction of indoor lacrosse.

Where i live now hardly anyones heard of lacrosse.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

It's not necessarily popular here, but it's certainly extremely trendy amongst high schools. You definitely see a lot of parents with lacrosse stickers on their cars, kids donning lacrosse shirts for their high schools, etc.

Nobody really goes out of their way to watch it or anything though

Huge here on the Island, huge back at school in Syracuse. It helps that Long Island and Central NY are two of the biggest hotbeds for the sport

With the population that the New England, Ne York etc. has why wouldn't someone start up a Proffessional League in that area and then branch out?

Or maybe there is already?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Way too big of a sport in my city. Lacrosse is overrated IMO. I mean really it's not that hard, shouldn't be considered a professional sport like hockey, football, baseball and basketball...ever

The biggest thing that frustrates me is that high school rugby has been played longer in Minnesota yet lacrosse boomed out of nowhere and become a sanctioned high school sport. I understand the similarities to hockey and that is probably why it took off like it did. Rugby is getting little support due to its rough nature even though Minnesota is one of the more competitive rugby states in America. To answer your question, I think lacrosse is still a niche sport in MN. I am from St. Paul and have never been to a Swarm game nor do I plan on ever going. Coverage in Minnesota is sporadic and I never hear anyone talk about the Swarm.

I was actually getting ready to say the same thing (the Swarm? Popular? No one up here EVER talks about them...).

In fact, I've personally only seen high school lacrosse twice (Bemidji doesn't have it, or I've never heard or seen it played here). Once when I was down in the Twin Cities for a high school baseball game and, actually, yesterday when I was in Grand Rapids for high school baseball. The practice field next to the ballpark had what I assume was the Grand Rapids HS club team practicing. That's the first time I'd seen lax outside the TC metro.

Way too big of a sport in my city. Lacrosse is overrated IMO. I mean really it's not that hard, shouldn't be considered a professional sport like hockey, football, baseball and basketball...ever

So you believe that catching a ball in a little net attached to a stick and holding on to it while opposition players whack the stick and your arms, then passing it accurately to a team mate while the opposition continues to attack you is not a proffessional game?

There is so much skill in this game, i think you may have to have another think about what you posted dorshak REALLY.

When you look at the whole scope of it Hockey and Lacrosse have so many similarities it is just not funny.

All team sports originate from the one true game you played as a small infant, it's called

KEEPINGS OFF, that's what team sport basically boils down too an overated game of your childhood.

But don't we love them spend all our hard earned money to cheer a group of people we most likely will never meet, what do you think dorshak?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I hear this so much and I hate being "that guy" but if it's so easy why don't you walk down to a local high school that plays it and take your stick and try it out for size. It's not so easy.

I thought it would be easy and was proven way wrong when I started in high school because of the speed and the fine motor skills required to play at a high level. Throw in the plays and it's basically a cluster:censored: with sticks and a pretty hard ball.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

But if they were to make a Cooperstown of lacrosse, it would be right here in AA County.

Well, Anne Arundel County would have to lure the Lacrosse Museum & National Hall of Fame away from Baltimore, where it is located adjacent to Homewood Field on the campus of Johns Hopkins University.

I was actually getting ready to say the same thing (the Swarm? Popular? No one up here EVER talks about them...).

In fact, I've personally only seen high school lacrosse twice (Bemidji doesn't have it, or I've never heard or seen it played here). Once when I was down in the Twin Cities for a high school baseball game and, actually, yesterday when I was in Grand Rapids for high school baseball. The practice field next to the ballpark had what I assume was the Grand Rapids HS club team practicing. That's the first time I'd seen lax outside the TC metro.

The Swarm's paid attendance at Xcel Energy Center has slowly grown pretty much every year they've been in town. Their raw attendance numbers dropped off between 2009 and 2010 but that was because their current ownership (John and Andy Arlotta) stopped giving out nearly as many promotional free tickets as the previous owners (the Minnesota Wild) used to. The Arlottas have even kicked around the idea of bringing an MLL (pro outdoor lax) club to town, though that's on the back burner for now.

As already mentioned, the local high school lax scene has taken off in the past few years, and there's even a growing college lax scene, albeit all club teams so far, particularly at the U of M (whose team is coached by Swarm defenseman Joe Cinosky, and plays some of their games at TCF Bank Stadium), the College of St. Thomas (in St. Paul; the Tommies already have a national club championship under their belts) and Minnesota-Duluth.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived